Hi,
I'm a complete beginner who just bought a Washburn 10DS and I am trying to tune it with the QWIK TUNE GUITAR PROFESSOR TUNER, however, when I pluck the open strings the tuner attempts to tune the wrong note.
i.e. plucking the 1st string the tuner recognises it as the D string, plucking the 2nd string it recognises it as A or C instead of B and so on. None of the 6 strings
are correctly identified by the tuner.

It could be a faulty tuner but the tuner successfully identifies all my strings on a cheap 3/4 guitar and tunes each string with no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

BW
The letters it show might be what note is being played, not the string it is played on (especially if there is a "C" that shows up.) If you play the Low E string and it says D, it is tuned to a D and not an E, so tune it upwards until it hits an E pitch according to the tuner.
Last edited by ReChord at Jan 9, 2009,
I'll try that, but I 'm sure if I tune the string the tuner always shows the so called string and the note never changes, just the position of the arrow on the dial.
The point of a tuner is to show you what note your strings are CURRENTLY tuned to, and you tune the strings by loosening or tightening til you register the note on teh tuner that you want.
Quote by Blairadamwitch
Hi,
I'm a complete beginner who just bought a Washburn 10DS and I am trying to tune it with the QWIK TUNE GUITAR PROFESSOR TUNER, however, when I pluck the open strings the tuner attempts to tune the wrong note.
i.e. plucking the 1st string the tuner recognises it as the D string, plucking the 2nd string it recognises it as A or C instead of B and so on. None of the 6 strings
are correctly identified by the tuner.

It could be a faulty tuner but the tuner successfully identifies all my strings on a cheap 3/4 guitar and tunes each string with no problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

BW

Is this Electric or Acoustic guitar? ( I know we're in Acoustics!)

If it is electric, I assume you are just plugging into the tuner, not trying to use an amp?

With an acoustic, rest the tuner on your knee, about 8 inches from the guitar.

Top E (1st) has to be pretty tight, it made me wonder the first few times I re-strung and tuned up.
But don't go too nuts, I had fun trying to find G on my G string, had it way too tight!

Try tuning your low E first. I usually work top to bottom, then go back and check them again.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jan 9, 2009,