Hi UG,
I've been getting really into Prog Music lately, and I've heard alot about King Crimson, but I don't have any of their albums.

Can anyone recommend me any essential King Crimsom?
I know there's the Court of the Crimson King, but what other albums are really worth getting?

Thanks,
You should Itunes so that you can get a feel first. I personally love the song dinosaur and another red nightmare
i enjoy head
Quote by Jazzcore23
You should Itunes so that you can get a feel first. I personally love the song dinosaur and another red nightmare

I don't have I tunes :S and there isn't any on napster...

I've heard 21st Century Schitzoid Man, and Frame by Frame, and they are awesome!
I personally think their best stuff was with Adrian Belew. "Discipline" for one is astoundingly masterful and mind blistering.
Scarred for life!

Rig:
Gibson LPC
Jackson DK10D
Fender HM Strat
Custom built Tele-type
Alvarez 5040 Koa
Epiphone 12 string
Blue Voodoo 50
Dunlop 213 slide
Fender M-80 chorus
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Experience
aaah King Crimson...

TS, you could blindly delve into King Crimson and see what you like, and pick and choose and listen to it that way, but to be honest, when it comes to King Crimson, I feel one is obligated to listen to albums in their entirety.

Furthermore, King Crimson have a rather varied history in terms of band structure and the way the music was composed, with the only constant in both cases being the venerable Dr. Fripp.

I suppose the definitive King Crimson album is, as others have mentioned, "The Court of the Crimson King" which was recorded by the first stable line-up of the band (including Greg Lake and Peter Sinfield). This is the late 60s era.

The 1970s era is my favorite King Crimson period in terms of their music. Firstly you have the incredibly well arranged and orchestrated dare I say, proto-symphonic rock album "Islands". This is probably one of the most unique of KC albums.

Thereafter, lyricist Peter Sinfield left the band, and King Crimson started recording, writing and improvising primarily as a trio (other musicians were of course recording and playing with them too) with the aid of the incredible Bill Bruford on drums, and prolific bass player, songwriter and singer, John Wetton. The recorded 3 of my favorite KC albums:

- Larks' Tongues in Aspic
- Starless and the Black Bible
- Red

Each of these albums thematically reference the other by way of music and words. Get all three and listen to them. This is where heavy metal might have gone, if unemployed unintellectual perverts hadn't ruined it in the 80s (causing the heavy sonic backlash of the 90s in form of grunge's rescue).

Thereafter Fripp announced KC to be defunct for a period of time. They re-emerged back in the 80s as a significant creative force along with the addition of Adrian Belew on guitar and the incredible Tony Levin on bass and Chapman stick along with Bill Bruford still handling the drumming duties. Someone already mentioned "Discipline" as worthy of checking out (I personally haven't heard this album). I'm not too familiar with their other offerings from the 80s.

As far as the 90s goes, I highly recommend "Thrak" which was recorded by the core 80s lineup as well as Trey Gunn on Warr guitar & bass, and Pat Mastelloto on drums thus creating the unique "double trio" format.

tune in on the elephant talk.
Last edited by Axegrinder#9 at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by Axegrinder#9
Someone already mentioned "Discipline" as worthy of checking out (I personally haven't heard this album). I'm not too familiar with their other offerings from the 80s.

hah quoting myself here, but I've just been doing some research into Discipline, and this seems like one gem of an album! Fripp was quoted somewhere as saying that he this was the one album he was perfectly happy with (and that means something coming from Fripp!).
I quite like the album "red".
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I really like the song 'sleepless'. great bass line. just amazing. its a good tune check it out.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
hah quoting myself here, but I've just been doing some research into Discipline, and this seems like one gem of an album! Fripp was quoted somewhere as saying that he this was the one album he was perfectly happy with (and that means something coming from Fripp!).

I'm listening to this album and I'm just blown away. Listen to it immediately.
I find king crimson to be much like modern prog, but without the generation of riffs by numbers. Everything sounds very natural and yet at the same time out of this world.
Originally posted by TapMaster
If you break a JEM you know your going to go to hell when you die

Only member of the 'This is too immature for me' club.
Quote by public property
I find king crimson to be much like modern prog, but without the generation of riffs by numbers. Everything sounds very natural and yet at the same time out of this world.

took the words right outta my mouth. and they also don't subscribe to meaningless jerk-fests ala Dream Theater or injecting complexity as a sole means to an end like Spiral Architects.
Quote by Axegrinder#9
- Starless and Bible Black

Fixed
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You should try Red of course!!

The last one, The Power To Believe, is fantastic too!! More modern, complex, really great!