Hey I need some help with octave chords, I'm trying to learn Funeral for a Friend's Roses for the Dead and can't get these chords right, how do you mute the middle string?
Play a power chord basically, but take your ring finger off the string enough to mute it.
I usually just use the side of my index finger.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
hybrid picking can work too if you want to cheat...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah, same here.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by qotsa1998
Play a power chord basically, but take your ring finger off the string enough to mute it.

This is what I do.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
and watch my chemical romance, i heard one of the guitarist is always having octaves on their song, very melodic.
If all else fails, you better contact your mother! COME ON!

::type
Quote by cajun_prince
and watch my chemical romance, i heard one of the guitarist is always having octaves on their song, very melodic.

Yeah, Ray Toro overuses octave chords.

Anyway, the way I do it, since I play powerchords with just my index finger and pinky anyway, is to play the treble with my pinky, and the bass with my index, and lightly lay the index finger over the middle string, just enough to mute it. I find it easier than adding another finger to the equation.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Wes Montgomery was ridiculously good at playing octaves. He would improvise some REALLY fast lines. But yeah, I use my index to mute it.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Yeah, Ray Toro overuses octave chords.

Anyway, the way I do it, since I play powerchords with just my index finger and pinky anyway, is to play the treble with my pinky, and the bass with my index, and lightly lay the index finger over the middle string, just enough to mute it. I find it easier than adding another finger to the equation.

Two notes:
A) Frank plays the octave runs almost always
B) Melody is overused?
C) I just felt like I needed more than one thing...so ya...

But on topic..
Just play a powerchord and take the pressure off of your ring finger
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.