How would I get more bass out of a 2x12? I tried out my amps on other cabs (mainly 4x12 and a few other 2x12) and they sound great but on my closed back Mesa for some reason they seem to be a bit more thin sounding. Not really in comparison but overall. I'm just wondering what are some tricks I could try to get a bit more bass response out of this cab? I know it's gotta be possible because I even got more bass from a 1x15 cab before
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Is your cab a oversized Mesa? How old are the speakers? Maybe they aren't quite broke in or they are just the wrong kind of speakers.

Maybe you could look into a new cab of some sort or new speakers. 2x12s don't quite have the same Bass response as a 4x12 or a 2x12 thats the size of a 4x12.

Just a thought.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
if its on wheels, ive heard it does wonders to take em off and let it be on the ground
Obligatory Gear List
Ibanez S2170SE Prestige
Epi LP Std w/ SDs
Morley Bad Horsie
Mesa Stiletto ACE 2x12
EHX Small Clone
Line 6 DL4
ISP Decimator
Guild Acoustic
My Band
My Youtube Channel
Quote by We Remain
if its on wheels, ive heard it does wonders to take em off and let it be on the ground

this
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by boxcarmonument
Is your cab a oversized Mesa? How old are the speakers? Maybe they aren't quite broke in or they are just the wrong kind of speakers.

Maybe you could look into a new cab of some sort or new speakers. 2x12s don't quite have the same Bass response as a 4x12 or a 2x12 thats the size of a 4x12.

Just a thought.

I'm not sure if it's oversized or not. It's a Mesa Rectifier horizontal 2x12. I admit I didn't give the speakers a whole lot of break in time at all but I've heard new cabs sound really deep even when they were new. Plus mine was a floor model so it might have at least some hours of play time.

Quote by We Remain

Actually I was wondering about this one. I have mine raised up off the ground so I'll try putting it on the floor. Would putting it on a carpet work as well? I heard hard surfaces don't help for controlling treblyness so maybe a thick rug could help?
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Last edited by CM_X5 at Jan 9, 2009,
speaker break in doesn't really increase the bass. If it's a small cabinet, then it might just not have a real big bass response, also if the speakers inside aren't real bassy, then well... yeah.
turn the bass up on your amp. or use an eq pedal to boost the low end.
Keeping it real since '92
weird as this may sound, tip it on it's side so that it's vertical. Did that with my 2x12 and it made my sound more focused and opened while still being tight and really f*ckin punchy. oh, and don't put it directly on a hard surface; put carpeting or a blanket or something between it. I've got a u-haul style blanket on the group where my Recto cab is and I get nice low end without it being boomy or anything.
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by Toolfan11
turn the bass up on your amp. or use an eq pedal to boost the low end.

Not always the answer as boosting the bass on an amp can make it flub out and sound boomy, which is not pleasant on the ears.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo

Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...