I'm trying to write a bass solo for a new song, I know I need to mess around with scales but the problem is I have no knowledge of music theory or scales. The chords for the song are G, C and D and the solo is going to be on the outro, guitar will be crashing G then D (both for 4 beats) then C (for 8 beats) which is where I do the bass solo before all ending on G. If anyone could tell me which scales I need to be looking at for the solo or even give me some little riffs that could work it would be great. Thanks
You may just want to try groovin' out and let your fingers come up with something that sounds good? I have no musical theory knowledge that I remember soooo thats what I do.

Granted I suck so, maybe wait on some more experienced advice.
Improv on G major scale. Although this video was intended for guitar, it will work for bass

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5777562536751428345

Quote by Prole
You may just want to try groovin' out and let your fingers come up with something that sounds good? I have no musical theory knowledge that I remember soooo thats what I do.

Granted I suck so, maybe wait on some more experienced advice.

It is your mind that controls your fingers, if you're suggesting playing random notes then ... just don't.
Last edited by pwrmax at Jan 9, 2009,
Write a melody - Make it up like a little song.

That's all a solo is - an embellishment of previous themes used in a piece. Have some fun with it.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by pwrmax
Improv on G major scale.

Maybe it's a G minor? I would suggest G minor pentatonic scale which consists of the following notes: G, A#, C, D and F. Play with those notes all around the neck
1. hit random notes.
2. remember the random notes that sounded good after each other.
3. repeat step 1 and 2 one time.
4. make solo.
5. complete song
6. learn theory
7. practice theory
8. give me 1 million dollars
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing