is a 12 year old epiphone (1997) les paul standard worth 425 shipped? according to the pics it looks pretty good, and its mik. what do you guys think?

edit: also the pickups are "upgraded" to prs pickups..Im not sure if that is really an upgrade or just different pickups.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Last edited by fifer at Jan 9, 2009,
I wouldn't pay that much for it. You can get a brand new one for $550. An even better choice would be the new Epiphone Les Paul for around $700.
My Epi LP custom is a 96 and I wouldn't think of trying to sell it to somebody for that much!
I bought brand new in 96 for $600.00. So it's not like it's a Vintage guitar or anything. And it's not like it ever will be more than what it is, just a cheap guitar!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
ok, thanks for the advice. how about one made last year for 400ish? guitardater says it was made in china/korea, idk what that means...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Quote by fifer
ok, thanks for the advice. how about one made last year for 400ish? guitardater says it was made in china/korea, idk what that means...

I think what it's trying to say is it was made in China or Korea. Just kidding. Guitars made in China or Korea are usually massively produced versions, often using cheaper materials. Whereas Japanese models are usually better made and using higher quality materials. That seems to be the case with my Tokai
Quote by Zacher
I wouldn't pay that much for it. You can get a brand new one for $550. An even better choice would be the new Epiphone Les Paul for around $700.

problem with that is that the chances are any new epiphone (aside from the MIJs maybe) will probably suck compared to any '97 model. Even if it's supposed to be a better version. Epiphone have really gone downhill since the 1990s.

Maybe i've been lucky, but i've played a '98 sheraton II (my own - an incredibly good quality instrument), and a '99 SG custom (the 3 pickup 'les paul' model which i intend to buy sometime soon), both of which have been far superior to the new epiphones in every way possible except maybe the pickups.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
^do you think that 425 is worth it for the les paul then?
Quote by RetroGunslinger