I have been playing guitar for roughly a year now with a basic cheapo guitar i got for a birthday. Although it wasnt very expensive it served me well and I never had any troubles with it but I decided to upgrade to something new and hopefully improved. Im gonna try to make this as short as possible, I dont know much about guitars but I decided to purchase a Gibson Explorer for 700$ american off the scratch n' dent on musicansfriend (which was very unwise I know now) as I live in a small town and was really impressed with the sound I saw people get on youtube etc. So I receive the guitar and instantly notice how terrible the fret buzz is, rendering some strings unplayable and others just sound like crap. I dick with the action but to no avail so I take it to the local guitar shop to see what they think, they adjust the truss rod and touch up the nuts, tell me its fixed but it still sounds the same so I take it back and they try again. I get it back for the second time and it is better you can actually play the strings open without buzz but there still rediculous buzz once your start fretting. Also, I don't know if this is normal as like I said I dont know much but whenever i play anything on the high strings the e and a string start rumbling in the background which is extremely annoying.

It feels as though I have purchased a lemon, even though the guitar sounds good and feels good in my hands other than the problems I have mentioned. What should I do? Really my options are send it back and take the shipping loss or drive to the nearest city and get someone who knows whats what to look at it. Opinions?
id say it was probably damaged in the mail or whatever, gibsons dont usually fret buzz, ore if they do, not much.

if adjusting the truss rod didnt fix the buzz i dunno what will. i had the same problem with my Re-issue strat, and adjusting the truss fixed that.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Some guitars just have fret buzz no matter what, my friend's Epiphone Les Paul buzzed all the time.
I'd opt for the nearest city option, find a good guitar shop and ask them.
Quote by hoefer
I dick with the action but to no avail

lul
lp345: It's a virus
rage6945: i went on a little bit torrent spree and got Jay-z's black album
nebno6:Maybe it's god punishing you for having a bad music taste.
nowa90:UGNED!!
You need to study and learn to set up the instrument yourself. The guy at the guitar shop probably set it with a low action, and maybe your style is too rough for really low action. Just do some research and set the action a bit higher.
Quote by Matt420740
You need to study and learn to set up the instrument yourself. The guy at the guitar shop probably set it with a low action, and maybe your style is too rough for really low action. Just do some research and set the action a bit higher.

The g string which was the worst since day one has the action set the highest, it literally cannot be raised any higher and i still get the buzz i dont think its the cause. The guitar shop literally didnt even touch the action when i took it in both times which is what kinda makes me suspect they are idiots. How could I go about learning how to set it up myself? I have read some stuff but mostly people say if you dont know what your doing take it to someone who does.
look at the bacxk of the neck of the guitar, is it PERFECTLY straight?
use a ruler
Quote by nebno6
look at the bacxk of the neck of the guitar, is it PERFECTLY straight?
use a ruler

sorry, excuse my stupidity, but im not sure i fully understand what you mean when you say the back of the neck.
Quote by hoefer
sorry, excuse my stupidity, but im not sure i fully understand what you mean when you say the back of the neck.

thanks for your honesty

http://s_marek.republika.pl/andyguitar/gitara/012.jpg

the bit at the top :P put a ruler vertical along it

if thats wonkey in the slightest it could be your problem, it should be pretty much perfectly flat
I dont think it is PERFECTLY flat its out by a very minute amount... but when i run my finger along it feels like warped almost is this not good?
No, but the truss rod can usally adjust this, the thing at the headstock, google how to use it because im not sure which way to turn it
Quote by blackborrego
return it to musicians friend the have a 40 days warranty to return it

Thats what I would do as well. Before you return it find someone you know who is a good guitarist and let them take a look. If they find the same as you then send it back.

It may be the way you are playing it but unless you are really hammering it or not fretting correctly I doubt it. The only guitar I got with frett buzz was due to a poor setup by the shop. All my other guitars from a decent guitar shop have been fine with no frett buzz.

You may just be unlucky and have got a poor guitar , most guitars are fine with a good setup from the shop.