I have the MG100DFX Marshall Amp but am debating on returning it for the Fender Frontman 212R. The clean on the Marshall sucks, and the distortion is OK at best when it doesnt hum and buzz. Does anyone have any experience with the Fender? I have heard the clean on that is amazing, but how is the distortion? My GC was sold out so i couldnt play on it when i bought the MG. Thanks in advance
Neither of them are better, to be honest both your amp and the Frontman are not great amplifiers.

If I were in your situation I would keep the MG, though, I have never liked the Frontman series at all.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I agree that neither's that amazing, but from my experience, I prefer the fender.

last time I played either of them was quite a while ago, though, so go to a store, and compare them yourself. only you can tell what one you like more..
For the kind of music you like on your profile and the price of those amps you listed I would suggest a VK or B-52 if you are buying new. Troll your craigslist and see what's out there, $400-450 can yield some good amps depending on where you are.

Edit: Although some people may flame the amps I listed for cleans, they are much better than the MG, IMO. I am a previous MG owner so I feel qualified to say that.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 9, 2009,
ok, here's the deal, you're a 2009'er so you probably haven't heard how much marshall MG's are hated here, they are decent practice amps IMO (i have the 30 watt) but you can do SO much better that you really shouldn't ever get one. Same thing with the frontman amps. the MG's use Marshall's name to try and sell the amp, and fender does the same with the frontman amps.. the truth is that they are both Solid State amps when each company is known for their TUBE amps, so therefor their solid state amps aren't anywhere near as good as those made by companies that specialize in SS like Vox or Roland.

Seeing as you bought a 100 watt amp, i assume you are gigging because you wouldn't need anything more than about 30 watts MAX Solid State to practice with, so i would say that you should check out other amps. I would recommend you go for a Tube amp since you have enough for the amps mentioned in your post. You will only need about 15 watts to gig with (i use a 15 watt Orange Tiny Terror at half volume sometimes and it gets over a drummer easily)

if you aren't gigging, i would say get something other than a Marshall MG, Fender Frontman, and Line 6 Spider III. Those are the worst amps ever made IMO
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
ok, here's the deal, you're a 2009'er so you probably haven't heard how much marshall MG's are hated here, they are decent practice amps IMO (i have the 30 watt) but you can do SO much better that you really shouldn't ever get one. Same thing with the frontman amps. the MG's use Marshall's name to try and sell the amp, and fender does the same with the frontman amps.. the truth is that they are both Solid State amps when each company is known for their TUBE amps, so therefor their solid state amps aren't anywhere near as good as those made by companies that specialize in SS like Vox or Roland.

Seeing as you bought a 100 watt amp, i assume you are gigging because you wouldn't need anything more than about 30 watts MAX Solid State to practice with, so i would say that you should check out other amps. I would recommend you go for a Tube amp since you have enough for the amps mentioned in your post. You will only need about 15 watts to gig with (i use a 15 watt Orange Tiny Terror at half volume sometimes and it gets over a drummer easily)

if you aren't gigging, i would say get something other than a Marshall MG, Fender Frontman, and Line 6 Spider III. Those are the worst amps ever made IMO

I do see now how these are hated. Great info too on the amps. I went by GC and M Friend reviews which mostly looked good, only to see how wrong they are when I got this. I saw a B52 tube on GCs site for 350, what do you guys think?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT-112-60-Watt-1x12--Tube-Combo-Amp-103733606-i1170731.gc
Well worth it. Go for it!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
+3. Wait, I suggested that earlier!
Quote by gregs1020
+3. Wait, I suggested that earlier!

Thats what got me to check them out and come across that one. Thanks man you rock.
B-52's would be a great choice. that or a peavey valveking would be similar.. Try both of those out for a good 30 minutes each minimum and see which one you like better. Tube amps seem to be more complicated and can acheive a lot of different tones, so make sure you take the time to dial in different sounds. Solid state amps are very "one-toned" and you can flip it on and get a mediocre sound, but a tube you can get a brilliant sound

i'm glad my post helped you
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by bigfoamfinger
Thats what got me to check them out and come across that one. Thanks man you rock.

Great username bro!
Quote by bigfoamfinger
I do see now how these are hated. Great info too on the amps. I went by GC and M Friend reviews which mostly looked good, only to see how wrong they are when I got this. I saw a B52 tube on GCs site for 350, what do you guys think?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT-112-60-Watt-1x12--Tube-Combo-Amp-103733606-i1170731.gc

Go for it, definitely go for it. It's so much better than your MG.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Quote by thsrayas
Go for it, definitely go for it. It's so much better than your MG.

I am going for it for sure. Just called GC and theyre out. Will do whatever it takes to return the MG and get/order this B52 ASAP. Hopefully this weekend
Quote by bigfoamfinger
I am going for it for sure. Just called GC and theyre out. Will do whatever it takes to return the MG and get/order this B52 ASAP. Hopefully this weekend

Awesome. You should be able to return the amp no problem and just get the B52 once they get it in stock.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
I called my other buddy at a diff store. The amp is discontinued. There are only 34 of them in stock nationwide, so IF he can get one transferred from Boston he is going to do that for me (Fingers crossed)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I think you should keep your MG and try scooping your mids.

just kidding and +4 for B52. Thanks for info on stock. I figured they wouldn't last long. Is that 34 at that chain or 34 total total?

He said 34 nation-wide. On the phone he was telling me other stores that have multiples and he mentioned Cali and Boston each having 2-3 of them. I hope I can get one. I checked out that Peavey too which looks sweet too. Thanks for the info on that, and I will play it when i go to the store. Any other options in case these dont work out? I was looking at a Fender tube, but the reviews are saying distortion sucks?
^sorry, I meant 34 nationwide for GuitarCenter or 34 nationwide period, all outlets? I'm assuming it is the former.

Anyway, the Blues Jr would give you the best bang for buck from Fender in your price range and will have more disti crunch at lower volumes and yeah, I think it is a great amp. More Blues to 'Medium' Rock.

Personally, I'd work with your friend on that B-52 unless you see something better on Craigslist.

Quote by FightinIrishPJ
companies that specialize in SS like Vox

wtf? since when does vox specialize in solid state?

though i admit, that was the one incorrect piece of advice in an otherwise useful post. return the mg but not for a frontman, for a tube amp (many suggested the b-52 which would appear to be an excellent choice)
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^sorry, I meant 34 nationwide for GuitarCenter or 34 nationwide period, all outlets? I'm assuming it is the former.

Anyway, the Blues Jr would give you the best bang for buck from Fender in your price range and will have more disti crunch at lower volumes and yeah, I think it is a great amp. More Blues to 'Medium' Rock.

Personally, I'd work with your friend on that B-52 unless you see something better on Craigslist.

34 GC. Sorry my bad. Theyre on backorder on Mus Friend too til the 29th. GC online says theyre backordered online til the 15th, but I dont see how they can be discontinued in stores, but not online? Maybe its their outlet price which is only online... Checking out the Blues Jrs too. they look cool
Yeah, the Blues Jr imo is a kick @ss little amp. It is bigger and heavier then it looks.

I think when the amps get handed out to distributors they all get X percentage and they place them based on forecasts of how other similar things have sold. They simply will sell a lot of them on-line and Guitar Center and Musiciansfriend are the same company anyway.

I think.
I ended up going with the Hod Rod Deluxe. So far so good with it. It seems to be a good amp and it is LOUD. Will probably end up getting a distortion pedal to go with it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^yep - that is one loud amp.

Try an OD pedal first to see if you can get the grit you want before you go Disti pedal.

Nice amp either way. Congrats.

now we need a NAD with pics please!

Pics will come soon. Thanks for your responses too man, it has really helped. Is the Boss OS-2 any good for this amp?
Quote by SGPlayer08
dog crap > Marshall MG.

Alright, that might be an understatement.

How did you manage to build an amplifier out of dog crap? Or is this some new brand I haven't heard of? Can you get 'em at Guitar Center?
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
Quote by bigfoamfinger
Pics will come soon. Thanks for your responses too man, it has really helped. Is the Boss OS-2 any good for this amp?

i would go with the fulltone ocd, or a tubescreamer for some mid hump
you got an mg combo and returned it for a hot rod deluxe in a short period
nice job
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I like the marshall mg over the fender frontman, I just really dont like the sound of them
Congrats on the HRD! Nice amp there. I have not tried that Boss OD pedal tho so I can't reply to your question. I have tried the Bad Monkey and BBE Greenscreamer, both of which are pretty cheap OD pedals that worked well for me.
Keep your marshall, save your money, and buy a real amp if you still like guitar in a year. There's no sense repeating the same mistakes tons of other people make by shuffling **** around and wasting your cash.

Edit: Ah, missed the part where you bought an HRD. I had one, it had surprisingly nice cleans but dog poop distortion. It'll last a long time tho and it takes pedals well so have fun.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Last edited by bullets34 at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by bigfoamfinger
I called my other buddy at a diff store. The amp is discontinued. There are only 34 of them in stock nationwide, so IF he can get one transferred from Boston he is going to do that for me (Fingers crossed)

we have one in the local GC here in Tulsa. Maybe have him call them. The one here is covered in dust and never touched.

EDIT: nevermind
Last edited by RHCPFitz at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by bigfoamfinger
I ended up going with the Hod Rod Deluxe. So far so good with it. It seems to be a good amp and it is LOUD. Will probably end up getting a distortion pedal to go with it.

HRD's are great amps. Congrats!

Ahh....another soul saved from the evils of the Marshall MG
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by bigfoamfinger

its loud as balls. Im getting the Blues Deluxe, the HRD's twin brother.
Quote by RHCPFitz
its loud as balls. Im getting the Blues Deluxe, the HRD's twin brother.

Awesome