Just recently, my Edge III bridge has been.... not working. My strings have been getting out of tune, without me even touching the guitar. Just last night I spent about 30 minutes making sure it was perfectly in tune, and in the morning, my D string was on G#, and the rest of my strings were sharp. So what is wrong with my bridge? Is it broken, because of the cheap materials everyone says it's made out of?

And yes, I realize the irony in this because of my sig. I've never had a problem with my Edge.

EDIT: I just noticed, and excuse my bad terminology, that the part where the string goes through in the bridge is pushed forward about a centimeter more than the others. Does this have anything to do with it?
Last edited by TatarSalad2 at Jan 9, 2009,
Its the Edge finally dying out. The reason people say they don't suck is that they haven't had it that long. But after owning it for a while, the **** doesn't last. It's like an Ipod or an Xbox 360: they break after about a year or two.

I don;t suggest getting it fixed, it won't last. Save up and bring it to a tech, and get an ORIGINAL Floyd Rose or a Kahler. Check out their sites, play guitars with them. Both are great brands that you can rely on.
Quote by rancidryan
Do they come with heroin because I heard thats the only reason Dave Mustaine used them

"The power of the riff compels me"
Bury Me In Smoke
How old is the bridge? If its over a year you might as well just block it off. Also make sure you stretched the strings enough. Many people think they've broken them in enough but its usually the cause of most of their problems.
Last edited by Justin Credible at Jan 9, 2009,
I had a similar problems a few months ago - Re-string it as above, make sure your locking the strings down well enough, and watch out for leaving it anywhere it might be exposed to fast temperature changes. Otherwise, just check the whole thing over thoroughly, and give it a good wipe over every time you use it to keep it in good working order.

Try this, if not, Im stumped as to whats wrong - My Edge 3 has been really reliable, against popular opinion.
man i hav the same problem!

here's my solution!

block the bridge and the intonation is perfect
My Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX

Cort VX 2V

Marshall JTM 60

Boss MT-2

Marshall Bluesbreaker Pedal (BB-2)
its an edge 3. from what ive heard im not surprised its going out of tune that fast
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
I'm using E standard tuning, and Ernie Ball Slinkies. I'm not sure how old the bridge is, since I bought the guitar used. I don't want to block it off, because I actually want to use it. How much would it cost to have an Original FR or Kahler installed? I think it wouldn't be that much since the body is already gutted out for one....
an OFR costs $170. install can be done by a guitar tech for anywhere from $25-$70 depending on whose installing it. id say get a gotoh or another quality LFR for like $100. and then install yourself for free. its not that hard, just make sure you read up on what has to be done
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Haha, your own fault for buying a guitar with an Edge III. I see a few people every week whining about their Edge III trem, and I just say the same thing.
My Gear:
Ibanez ART300 electric
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt combo amp
Yamaha FG-130 acoustic

There is no God.
i bought a js100 used that had an edge III in it. i would tune it and it perfectly and then strum a G chord and boom, out of tune. i am so glad the store let me swap it for a Jackson DKMG.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Gotoh FR is only $120 at guitarpartsdepot. IMO, Gotoh FR>OFR (It's basically the same thing but Schaller has been having problems lately apparently with FR quality, plus the Gotoh is about $50 cheaper). Also, I don't think it's all that hard to change the bridge.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Gotoh FR is only $120 at guitarpartsdepot. IMO, Gotoh FR>OFR (It's basically the same thing but Schaller has been having problems lately apparently with FR quality, plus the Gotoh is about $50 cheaper). Also, I don't think it's all that hard to change the bridge.

when you get into that price range its more about personal opinon. they will all hold tune for days and last for years. some may be slightly more suble than others but they will be pretty dam close. if you want it to say "Floyd Rose" on the baseplate then get the Ping OFR. it comes with a brass baseplate and is only $120.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
An OFR or any variation of it is NOT a drop in replacement for an Edge III. The guitar would require quite a bit of routing to fit one and it would cost quite a bit. Have you cleaned and lubed the trem and knife edges? Are you sure your locking nut is clamping securely? Have the strings been stretched properly? The Edge III's are pretty decent trems and should hold a tune well even after a couple of years if properly maintained.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by f22master
when you get into that price range its more about personal opinon. they will all hold tune for days and last for years. some may be slightly more suble than others but they will be pretty dam close. if you want it to say "Floyd Rose" on the baseplate then get the Ping OFR. it comes with a brass baseplate and is only $120.

Um, hardened steel is better than brass. Besides, this probably has a steel block. And, I don't trust MIC OFR's... Seriously, MIJ is good, MIC is mediocre.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Um, hardened steel is better than brass. Besides, this probably has a steel block. And, I don't trust MIC OFR's... Seriously, MIJ is good, MIC is mediocre.

sorry! i meant brass sustain block!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Dude, I also just in general don't trust FR's that are Chinese-made. The DECENT LFR's are all made in Japan or Germany.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
The OFR will be a (mostly) direct swap in most cases for an Edge 3 but some cavity routings don't allow full range and i think the trem posts on the OFR are bigger.

So, you could technically throw an OFR in there (it has been done), but it'd probably be a better idea to fill the old post holes and drill new ones.