Does anyone know if CF Martin & Co is using sustainable harvesting woods on their D15 series guitars?
Last edited by 12-bar original at Jan 9, 2009,
Sort of. They've started using Sapele(also known as African Mahogany), a substitute for central american mahogany, which is starting to get scarce. Sapele is quite plentiful and abundant in Africa. Sapele's tonal qualities are also very similar to Mahogany.

The visual difference between the two is that Sapele has a long and striped grain, while mahogany has a dotted pattern.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I'm worried that i'll be compromising sound quality if I use this " sustainable wood ". Is that true?

Can I get a D15 with mahogany, or are the all Sapele now?
It won't compromise sound quality. Sapele is actually almost identical to mahogany, tonally. None of the new 15 series are made of mahogany anymore, but you could probably find some old stock made of it if you really wanted to.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I guarantee you that if I played a Sapele D-15 and a Mahogany D-15 for you, you could not tell me which was which.
Quote by jimtaka
I guarantee you that if I played a Sapele D-15 and a Mahogany D-15 for you, you could not tell me which was which.

True. They're nearly identical.