4 17%
Processor
14 61%
None
5 22%
Voters: 23.
Hey
Im looking to upgrade my PC.
At the moment i have integrated graphics and 1.8 Ghz Celeron processor.
What should i upgrade:
The graphics (Suggest cards for about $100 AUD)
The Processor (Would be a Core 2 Duo 2.8 Ghz)

Poll coming.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Or gaming thread.

☻/

/▌

/ \

PSN ID: Lord-MacTooth
Both are pretty bad, I'd get off integrated graphics first, and I don't know how much 100AUD is

8600GT maybe?
Quote by metaldud536
New computer.

WIN!!!!!!!!!
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by jake_1234
Hey
Im looking to upgrade my PC.
At the moment i have integrated graphics and 1.8 Ghz Celeron processor.
What should i upgrade:
The graphics (Suggest cards for about $100 AUD)
The Processor (Would be a Core 2 Duo 2.8 Ghz)

Poll coming.

With it only being a 1.8GHz Celeron, I'm tempted to think that it may not be socket 775, in which case a Core 2 Duo would not be compatible with the motherboard. Of course, it's your computer and not mine, so you can check it where I can't.
Quote by RPGoof
My 8600GTS is now $30 USD after mail-in rebate.
I'd get at least a 9600 then.

He'd probably be better off going for a cheap but useable GPU and putting the rest of the money towards a processor upgrade IMO, since niether of those are of a good standard for any modern games and the 8600GT can still hold it's own for most games.

How much RAM do you have TS?

Quote by Denthúl
With it only being a 1.8GHz Celeron, I'm tempted to think that it may not be socket 775, in which case a Core 2 Duo would not be compatible with the motherboard. Of course, it's your computer and not mine, so you can check it where I can't.

I'm fairly sure a Pentium D would be though.
Last edited by GLP_Arclite at Jan 9, 2009,
Seriously dude, there is point. Get a new PC.
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
Processor, I don't know how you can even live with a Celeron. Kill it with fire.

A new processor will make everything run miles better, a new graphics card will only really help with games.

I doubt that you'd be able to do that upgrade though, from a Celeron 1.8 to a C2D 2.8, they aren't even the same product line. Hell, the C2D is 64 bit, and the Celeron 32.

I second Metaldud. New computer.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Your computer probably can't handle multicore processors and I'm doubtful it's going to have a PCIe either.

You need a new machine.
Its compatible with core 2 duo.
The motherboard is actually alright.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
New processor... OR a new 'puter. But between graphix card and processor, processor all the way. With all the crazy programs out there, you just can't have a single-core one.
Quote by jgbsmith
Processor, I don't know how you can even live with a Celeron. Kill it with fire.

A new processor will make everything run miles better, a new graphics card will only really help with games.

I doubt that you'd be able to do that upgrade though, from a Celeron 1.8 to a C2D 2.8, they aren't even the same product line. Hell, the C2D is 64 bit, and the Celeron 32.

I second Metaldud. New computer.

Bus width is irrelevant. If I recall correctly, Core Duo and Core 2 Duo both use the same socket-type (LGA775) but the Core Duos (and, indeed, some of the first Core 2 Duos) only had 32-bit architecture.

On the subject of Celerons, I've actually run a server before now on a 2.0GHz Celeron and not had any performance issues. It's all down to what you try to do with it. If you want it to perform like a beast, then yeah, it's no good. But if you're realistic and don't try to get it to do more than it's capable of...

Quote by jake_1234
Its compatible with core 2 duo.
The motherboard is actually alright.

Are you 100% sure?

On another note, could you post full specs of your machine, please?
Integrated graphics are ****, I LOVED IT when I got a new computer with a proper graphics card (ATI HD2600XT, very good graphics card).
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Get a Quad-core Q6600 the price is falling.

For graphics, you can get a Saphire 4850 for about £160 which is one of ATI's best card so far (with crossfire support, but it's not really feasible to crossfire these on a budget)

Both are amazing for the price and will run pretty much every game out there on full settings.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
Last edited by SamTotman at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by Zecromancer
New processor... OR a new 'puter. But between graphix card and processor, processor all the way. With all the crazy programs out there, you just can't have a single-core one.

I can run plenty of recent software on my old computer (3.0 Ghz P4) including some very demanding audio stuff. You may need a dual-core for modern gaming and some CAD stuff but it's not essential (yet) a lot of software still doesn't even support it fully.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Ok Full Specs:

1.8 Ghz Celeron dual core processor
2 x 1GB DDR2 Ram
Gigabyte 945GCM-S2L (Proudly announced on the box is that fact is compatible with core 2 duo)
160 GB HDD

That help?
Integrated Graphics
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr