well, im a junior in high school and i really want to become a guitar builder, after making a guitar in woodshop last year (its not that bad, really! amazing action, just a few intonation issues )
did any of you get training at a tech school? or a real school dedicated to luthery or woodworking?
where would be the best places?
learn on your own, look through books and articles and forums, and just get as much information you can. If you're still interested, invest in some tools and wood, and try making a couple more. If you still love it, start up a workshop in your house, and start trying to find clients to sell guitars to. If you can pull that off, you should be good to go!
------

Shwiggity.
Since I'm too drunk to give an in depth answer, I will just be really pesemistic instead :P

Do you really want to be a guitar building? I mean you have built one guitar and you know you are hooked? If so great, keep at it, but its not a job that is going to pay well for a very long time, people who want to get into building guitars cannot afford to quit their day job for a very long time before building guitars actually becomes profitable enough to live on.

I would say keep building in your spare time untill you are good enough to show case your work, then make a name for your self and start getting commisions for your work.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Last edited by Absent Mind at Jan 9, 2009,
dude, stuff ive learned, all came from here, as well as stewmac.com
Quote by Øttər
I'll accept Jesus into my heart if the neighboorhood accepts my penis into it's street.
I want to be a luthier, and I'm in my second year of highschool.

We are in very similar situations, so let me give you a rundown.

1) You're young, things change.

2) You don't need school to build guitars.

3) You need passion, love of the art, and experience.

4) In a life path where you don't need school, you can't really make a set in stone decision to "be" something. You Kind of just fall into building guitars.

5) Make one, sell it, make another, sell it, make another, sell it.

6) People hear about you, and ask you to build them things. So you do. You make money.

7) If you're lucky, everything goes well and you take the proper measures to become a business and life goeson happily ever after.

So what do you do if you want to be a luthier?

Let your hobby evolve into a carreer.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
TS, do you happen to live in california?
Quote by RU Experienced?
See the FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU- thread, he's a God amongst men.

^^ about me

Confucius once say: "Women is like jazz music, 3/4 jazz time, 1/4 ragtime."

This is my sig, get over it. ಠ_ಠ
every highschool lazy ass wants to be a luthier, get a REAL job, and do it on the side, until you are about 35-40 and have built up a huge clientel base where you are located, then you can start gradually doing it as a living,
thats how all of the best ones do it. schools are a waste of money, get a job with a cabinet maker, or furniture maker, you will learn alot more than at any stupid guitar school.
LP Addict has said that he learned more from a rocking chair builder than going to a luthier school. If you are really interested get some books on it and find a woodworker who is willing to teach you or try to learn a lot about it yourself building guitars is basically woodworking along with setups, electronics, and fret works which you can learn by yourself. To make a living at it you need to be well known and that's the hard part, the best idea is doing it on the side while you have a real job then if it takes off go at it gull time. When I get out of highschool I want to be a cabinetmaker, I did want to build guitars but now I think I just want to do it for fun just for myself building a bunch of guitars your not really interested in can suck the fun out of it.
Quote by 420 FREAK
LP Addict has said that he learned more from a rocking chair builder than going to a luthier school. If you are really interested get some books on it and find a woodworker who is willing to teach you or try to learn a lot about it yourself building guitars is basically woodworking along with setups, electronics, and fret works which you can learn by yourself. To make a living at it you need to be well known and that's the hard part, the best idea is doing it on the side while you have a real job then if it takes off go at it gull time. When I get out of highschool I want to be a cabinetmaker, I did want to build guitars but now I think I just want to do it for fun just for myself building a bunch of guitars your not really interested in can suck the fun out of it.

i TOTALLY understand man, i wanted this to be a good business last month,
this month im building all of this lame-ass gear for these people and i dont like it anymore, after this month im going strictly for me and getting my job back.
Quote by LP Addict
i TOTALLY understand man, i wanted this to be a good business last month,
this month im building all of this lame-ass gear for these people and i dont like it anymore, after this month im going strictly for me and getting my job back.

Yeah, for me Ill probably sell one once and a whil after I make it if it's nice and I might do a body once and a while but after this build it's pretty much done.
This is one of my favorite things ever about the GB&C forum: every month or so some guy posts a re-wording of the same question, and LP and everyone else who builds comes to tell him how it's not going to work or he's going about it all wrong, and they are always right. Always.

It's like clockwork, I see the thread title, I scroll down about 8 posts, and there's LP along with all the others

These threads never fail to bring a laugh to my day, and thankfully they'll probably never stop happening.

Sorry for the spammin' TS....uh....::cough::......ermm...::cough::....follow your dreams, don't let "the man" hold you down!
Quote by LP Addict
the best way to start is to not piss off fellow luthiers, because in the business your name is all you have, and well, if you used the search bar, you wouldn't have just annoyed like 6 people.

Oh man, the classic search bar insult, this thread just keeps getting better and better
Quote by LP Addict
every highschool lazy ass wants to be a luthier, get a REAL job, and do it on the side, until you are about 35-40 and have built up a huge clientel base where you are located, then you can start gradually doing it as a living,
thats how all of the best ones do it. schools are a waste of money, get a job with a cabinet maker, or furniture maker, you will learn alot more than at any stupid guitar school.

i balance a job and doing guitar repairs at the same time..

alot of people will pay to have their guitars set up, not to mention theres alot of irresponsible guitar owners in highschool who constantly break headstocks off or pots off and need it repaired. that means i get business

but full thrown luthier job, making guitars racking in hundreds of dollars is in your dreams. in highschool thats barely possible (if it is at all)
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Last edited by conor1148 at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by conor1148

but full thrown luthier job, making guitars racking in hundreds of dollars is in your dreams. in highschool thats barely possible (if it is at all)

Thats the problem, unless your making thousands, you shouldn't do it. Plus, never sell yourself short, your time is worth money, and you just have to value it right.

But building guitars isn't a great career choice, unless you have a way into a business that's already recognized. It's fun, but I don't think it'd get you enough to live off of.
Quote by lumberjack
TS....uh....::cough::......ermm...::cough::....follow your dreams
Although I agree you gotta follow your dreams and be happy in life but lets be realistic, you gotta eat, you gotta pay bills, and if your not a kid you might have a family to provide for, following a dream job in luthiery doesnt exactly lend its self well to that until your name is big enough that people will pay good money for your guitar so you can survive.

I mean think about Ormsbys name, hes big in GB&C hes probably the most respected and his work most loved by those who do and dont build guitars, people are always saying 'man I love your work I'll have an Orsmby one day' blah blah but how many of these people are actually going to lay down the $2400 base rate he is charging per guitar? Barely any, hes lucky he has a lot of the Australian market, but in the US there are a lot more luthiers out there with bigger names than you, that if the average punter does decide to not go with Fender etc they are probably going to them first.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Well I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to go learn something useful, like how to dress frets. Good luck, OP, I'm right there with you!
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer