I live in the basement, im about 200ft away from my wireless router. Speed has been GREAT (even faster than the wired cpu upstairs) until today. I'm using a USB wireless adapter and the signal strength reads 50% in my wireless connection manager. I never notived the EXACT number before but if i would have to estimate based on performance i would say 90-100%. Why the hell is it doing this? Maybe some lines went down or somthing? We had some pretty bad storms sun, mon, tue and wed but the performance then was good (DURING the storms) and even yesterday (thurs - currently friday night.) Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.
GEAR

Hohner MR-800
B.C. Rich Rich Bich Platinum
MIC Squier Strat
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Fab chorus
Fab echo
Fender Super champ XD
it could be various sorts of interference. or you could have slightly moved either the router or the receiver which can cause problems.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Lines going down would not affect wireless signal strength, since that is created by the router and not your internet connection. Possible causes are interference and being too far away from the router. USB wireless adapters are notorious for not working very well, or working well at times and not at others.

Without being able to see what lies between your router and your adapter, I can't really say whether or not it's a distance thing (since the maximum range of the signal broadcast by your router is reduced by each thing it has to pass through).
Someone is stealing your internets.
Quote by iceman95
ok
here's what you do
1. Take a fork, preferably metal.
2. Put some tomato sauce on it.
3. Let tomato sauce on fork dry.
4. Turn it in and call it: "The Spaghetti Massacre."

New guitar fund = beer/0
There is a really low possibility of one of your neighbors connected to your router and fileshares like crazy. However this can't be a reason for the weakness of the signal.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Quote by KOL40
I live inMY PARENT'S basement, im about 200ft away from my wireless router. Speed has been GREAT (even faster than the wired cpu upstairs) until today. I'm using a USB wireless adapter and the signal strength reads 50% in my wireless connection manager. I never notived the EXACT number before but if i would have to estimate based on performance i would say 90-100%. Why the hell is it doing this? Maybe some lines went down or somthing? We had some pretty bad storms sun, mon, tue and wed but the performance then was good (DURING the storms) and even yesterday (thurs - currently friday night.) Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Fact.
the ladies love when i gyrate my ass in front of a graveyard
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
it could be various sorts of interference. or you could have slightly moved either the router or the receiver which can cause problems.

Nothing has moved.

Quote by freedoms_stain
Is the card really hot? Could be overheating and affecting performance.

It's not hot, kinda warm but i wouldn't say it was hot.

Quote by Denthúl
Lines going down would not affect wireless signal strength, since that is created by the router and not your internet connection. Possible causes are interference and being too far away from the router. USB wireless adapters are notorious for not working very well, or working well at times and not at others.

Without being able to see what lies between your router and your adapter, I can't really say whether or not it's a distance thing (since the maximum range of the signal broadcast by your router is reduced by each thing it has to pass through).

Well, i mean i don't think being too far from the router would be a problem because it was working fine the last 2 weeks and it hasn't moved. Of course i don't know anything about it on a technical level but to me it's common sense if it HAD been working, it still should (again i don't know much).

Quote by niflag
Someone is stealing your internets.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!O!!!!!O!O!!! Who would do such things?!!!?!?
GEAR

Hohner MR-800
MIC Squier Strat
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Fab chorus
Fab echo
Fender Super champ XD
Quote by WyldChylde
Fact.

Fiction. I live in my aunt and uncle's basement. So lets see:

Not only were you OFF TOPIC, you were WRONG.

Double fail.

GTFO muh thread!!!!!!!

EDIT:Signal has moved up to 56%...the mysterious gnomes who were stealing muh internet are giving it back!!!! Lets hope i get it up to 100 or at least 90.
GEAR

Hohner MR-800
MIC Squier Strat
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Fab chorus
Fab echo
Fender Super champ XD
Last edited by KOL40 at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by KOL40

Double fail.

GTFO muh thread!!!!!!!

EDIT:Signal has moved up to 56%...the mysterious gnomes who were stealing muh internet are giving it back!!!! Lets hope i get it up to 100 or at least 90.

Cool down there chief

the ladies love when i gyrate my ass in front of a graveyard
Quote by KOL40

Double fail.

GTFO muh thread!!!!!!!

It's them damn pick gnomes. They're after our internet now!
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by angusfan16
It's them damn pick gnomes. They're after our internet now!

LMAO

Signal still not returned...If i bought another usb wireless and had BOTH plugged in could they like...idk COMBINE their powers and like...FIX my problem?

Or would that be like the condom+condom=no condom?
GEAR

Hohner MR-800
MIC Squier Strat
Boss MT-2 Metalzone
Fab chorus
Fab echo
Fender Super champ XD