I recently started playing bass and had my first lesson this week. The bass I am using is my uncles that has not been used in 20 years. I changed the strings, but my teacher said that the guitar in general needs a setup (intonation is off, truss rod needs adjusting, action is too high, etc.)

I live in Manhattan, and I am looking for a place to get a basic setup. I don't want to pay more than $50

So far I have called 30th St. Guitars ($65), Rudy's ($125!!!), NY guitar repair ($50), and East Village Music Store ($50)

Does anyone have experience with NY guitar repair or East Village Music Store?
Are there any other sub-50 places that I should look at?

Thanks
I've heard great things about East Village. But if you really want to save money, find a friend who knows how to do it (or ask your teacher to recommend a place to get it done).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Right near Times Square there's one block that has 7 music stores. 4 of them are Sam Ash, 1 specializing in guitars, but there are also 2 other guitar shops. I would take your bass to those 3 places and see who gives you the best price.

EDIT: May want to avoid the Sam Ash, though. The one time I went in there, they sold a guitar that was missing a back plate, and I pulled a bass down to play it only to find that it was missing the output jack.
Schecter Hellraiser V1 / Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 / Gallien Krueger 400RB / Hartke Transporter 4x10 / Digitech BP200 / Pod Studio GX
Last edited by Mephysteaux at Jan 10, 2009,
Do it yourself. 'Tis not to difficult.

And I bet a guitarist/other bassist friend might even help you out.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Jan 9, 2009,