Page 1 of 2
Having brought out that needless 2nd nikki sixx signature, Gibson seem to have not had enough of everyones least favourite bass guitar and have released a new series:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Epiphone/Thunderbird-Pro-IV.aspx

The Thunderbird "pro"

OK, so it's still a thunderbird, it still costs over $800 despite being an epiphone and it still probably has neck dive, but look at the other features:
-Proper neck through construction, as opposed to the tacky bolt on crap.
-A suave natural finish with a sexy walnut and maple neck.
-Brand new "T-pro" pickups, which are still humbucking, but could well be more refined and clear sounding (although I can't confirm that).
-and most intriguingly, active electronics, a feature that could easily give a T bird some much needed tonal variation.
-it also comes in a five string model, although this will probably just stress the neckdive to the point of a joke.
EDIT:
-They also got rid of that crappy 3 point bridge, in case you're wondering.

My conclusion:
It's not exactly a huge step for gibson, but for those of us who enjoy the look and feel of the T bird, it might be more bang for buck than the standard models.

Anyway, my question is, what do you think and, more importantly, has anyone played one of these yet?
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Last edited by wouldyakindly at Jan 9, 2009,
It looks nice but it's too high priced for what you're getting. For $832 you could have a really nice Fender.

EDIT: It also has a Fender-type bridge. Not that stupid 3-point bridge.

EDIT2: Nevermind about the first edit. TS edited his original post.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Jan 9, 2009,
Dude you have to remember, MSRP=/=Sale price. It'll probably go for $300-500. Anyway... If I had to get a Thunderbird I'd get that.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
tacky bolt on crap? Nothing wrong with bolt on construction at all.

I may have worded that a bit wrong, my point was that the previous epis had a pretend neck through look, despite being bolt ons.

Funny old world eh.
Looks nice. I'll try one. To be honest, I've been GASing for the look of a t bird, and was about to buy an Epi and throw EMG's on it. Now, there's a alternative.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
When you pay for a Thunderbird, you pay for the look and the name. Fortunately these two things are rather good IMO unfortunately the tone is a taste I have yet to aquire.
It comes in a trans black finish. *Melts.* I must try one...
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
I think this is how all epiphone thunderbirds should be.
This should become the 'standard' and the normal t-bird's should become the 'budget' model.
Too bad about the price though.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Still not convinced, but does look a lot nicer that previous T-bird models.

I think the pickups and electronics are going to be the key thing here
better than a normal t-bird. easily.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
well, maybe I'd try it, but I still think it looks fugly
I Like Green!
What kind of sick fucker mangled that Schecter?!?!!?!?
Last edited by Captain Insano at Jan 9, 2009,
Doesn't look too bad. I'd probably stain it a little darker though.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
It's nice to see a 5 string that isn't those ugly Gibson studios with the set neck. hated those. don't like the new bridge didn't like the 3 point either i liked the replacement bridge you could get from hipshot they should start putting those on tbirds from the gate. neck thru epiphone about time. hurray for jack on the side as well. I don't like active bass pickups but thats my opinion. i like Gibson tbird pickups as long as u have one at a time on i think these will sound worse. i gotta say tho its a sexy bass especially the black pick guard even tho the bridge doesnt suit it quite right. And as for the strap button they were able to relocate it on Gibson why they don't do it with this is stupid on there part especially now that there inst a damn metal plate in the way.
Keep On Keepen' On
i think that looks gorgeous, the maple and walnut thru neck should brighten the sound up a little more.....
im gona try find shops that stock them, might be worth a try :P

EDIT: are those mahogany wings??
Last edited by jb_reborn at Jan 10, 2009,
I wouldn't mind playing around with it at a music store, but for that price tag I probably won't be picking it up(not to mention I just placed an order for a new bass).
Hi.
Quote by jb_reborn
i think that looks gorgeous, the maple and walnut thru neck should brighten the sound up a little more.....
im gona try find shops that stock them, might be worth a try :P

EDIT: are those mahogany wings??

I can't say for sure, but judging by the wood tone and the fact that it's a T bird, probably. Shouldn't matter too much if the electronics are good though, and I'll be there's more wood in the neck than on the wings.

Funny old world eh.
it's sexy. I <3 natural finished thrunecks.

...I'm not overly pumped on active pickups though, lack of fret access would also get on my tits a bit from time to time.
I have to say, while I love natural finish thru-necks, something like this looks better on the ESP B-100# Series, the orignal TBird still is a better looker.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
That's MSRP. At that price, it'll be about $600, which'll still have some stiff competition in that price range. However, if it's made in Korea, it might not be that bad! Also note that the bass now has a flat top.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
it looks pretty, although i DO like like the "pretend neck through" raised top of the regular TB
Quote by ChemicalFire
I have to say, while I love natural finish thru-necks, something like this looks better on the ESP B-100# Series, the orignal TBird still is a better looker.

the ESP look soooooooooo damn good, i literally stare at a picture of it for ages before i go to sleep

the thunderbird would be so much better if they replaced the mahogany with ash :P
Looks basically grainless, but a bit too light to be mahogany...
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
That just looks terrible, cheap, and the wood looks like it's missing any finish on it.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Guys, I don't honestly care about the thunderbird getting an upgrade, but this means something much more!

Gibson actually listens to the letters we write to them! Remember those guys who wrote the letters to gibson? KA-BAM, fixes. It still has problems, but the sound quality will be greatly better than earlier.

Now, I wont buy this at that price, but if I can get a used one for $300 (the normal tbird price :\ ) then I would really consider it.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
Guys, I don't honestly care about the thunderbird getting an upgrade, but this means something much more!

Gibson actually listens to the letters we write to them! Remember those guys who wrote the letters to gibson? KA-BAM, fixes. It still has problems, but the sound quality will be greatly better than earlier.

Now, I wont buy this at that price, but if I can get a used one for $300 (the normal tbird price :\ ) then I would really consider it.

if I felt like doing a mod project, I'd consider buttpacking one of these till it doesn't dive.

heavy as sin, but worth the look for whoever buys it.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by dancesisidance
That just looks terrible, cheap, and the wood looks like it's missing any finish on it.

It's an oil finish and also comes in a transparent black model and a vintage sunburst, so you're wrong, obviously.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
If it's of interest, the price on the gibson website is EXACTLY the same as that of an epi LP standard (the 4 string that is). So if you need a realistic price, there you go.
I personally think I'll put buying one on hold until I have a new guitar and a new bass amp, but frankly, I can imagine it being quite a quality bass.

Funny old world eh.
Quote by kranoscorp

I'm proud to say I wrote one of those letters.

EDIT: After looking at the new thunderbird again, man that Vintage Sunburst looks sexy.
Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass(Sapphire Blue finish!!)
Squier VM TB Bass
Squier Precision Bass(heavily modified)
Behringer 180 Watt Combo<--My EQ pedal made this sound decent O_o until I get my Gallien-Krueger half stack
Last edited by FenderAmpeg93 at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by InvaderTSN
When are these things going to be in stock anyway?

Exactly 12 seconds.

Seriously, when?
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
wow, thats beautiful. i hate tbs though =\
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
i'm not going for it but it's a step in the right direction although that is the worst looking neck thru job i've ever seen
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Is it me or is the headstock on the natural finished one slightly curved down into an almost explorer-esque like headstock? When you change from the Black finish to the natural you can see it curve down.
Page 1 of 2