I can't decide what would be the better option for me in getting a heavier rock tone. Would it be better to get a new pickup for my strat or buy a good distortion pedal?
Also on my American Deluxe it has a S-1 switch where I can combine the bridge and middle pickups to run in series just like a humbucker in the bridge (just something to keep in mind when helping me out). And the current pickups I have a Samarium Cobalt Noiseless. Thanks!
well you already have a fuzz and bad monkey so um maybe get a zvex box rocks?, http://media1.zvex.com/boxofrock.mov

Pretty expensive but quality pedal (over $300 I believe)

Don't change those pickups dude they are as good as it gets in my opinion, I go to guitar center often and screw around with guitars all the time but i own an american deluxe strat and no pickups match it (so far). make sure your volume is cranked when you turn on the fuzz to get max signal and distorotion.
1990 Gibson LP Studio
2007 American Deluxe Stratocaster
2006 Taylor 510-ce
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Well it is always good to have a distortion pedal or a way to get from distortion to clean without stopping. but you should look in to some Seymour Ducan Screamin' Demon Pickups or maybe a DiMarzio Tone Zone or Dimarzio Chopper
Oh Hey look at my signature
Quote by BlackDog55
Well it is always good to have a distortion pedal or a way to get from distortion to clean without stopping. but you should look in to some Seymour Ducan Screamin' Demon Pickups or maybe a DiMarzio Tone Zone or Dimarzio Chopper

Thanks. I checked out the Chopper but I don't know how versatile the pickup is. Does it do good cleans too? Also I really like the Virtual solo and the YJM or HS3.
Yeah the chopper is good with cleans. (I don't do to much cleans but for when I do they are good.) and for the versatility well they are very versitile. if you haven't all ready listen to a few sound clips on the DiMarzio website
Oh Hey look at my signature
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd get a good OD pedal.

What kind of distortion tone are you looking for, when you say hard rock?

I already have and OD pedal, its a bad monkey. Hard rock tones that range from smooth Creed, Sound Garden tones to the screeching leads of Van Halen. So pretty much anything. I just need something very versatile. I would put the pick up in the bridge btw.
Well, keep in mind a pickup isn't going to change your tone much. It's more for tweaking.
The only think that would make a significant difference with a swap is if you change the bridge pickup out for an actual full sized humbucker. But since you have S-1 switching, I'd assume you want to keep that.

And the Bad Monkey is a nice bargain, but it's not the greatest OD pedal. If you're not getting acceptable hard rock tones with the Bad Monkey + middle/bridge in series....Then I'd think about a couple of things:
1 - You have a Fender Blues Deluxe. It's a great amp, good for jazz, blues, and classic rock.
2 - The Bad Monkey can only do so much.

I would look into something like a Fulltone OCD for seriously fattening up your tone. Or maybe a Wampler Plextortion, for just completely revamping your dirty sound. I'm not a big fan of distortion pedals, but the Wampler seems like a great deal, and has a lot of versaility.
For Sound Garden, try using the Free Fuzz at the same time as the Bad Monkey, but turn down the clipping on the Bad Monkey. An EHX Big Muff Pi wouldn't be a bad idea, either.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, keep in mind a pickup isn't going to change your tone much. It's more for tweaking.
The only think that would make a significant difference with a swap is if you change the bridge pickup out for an actual full sized humbucker. But since you have S-1 switching, I'd assume you want to keep that.

And the Bad Monkey is a nice bargain, but it's not the greatest OD pedal. If you're not getting acceptable hard rock tones with the Bad Monkey + middle/bridge in series....Then I'd think about a couple of things:
1 - You have a Fender Blues Deluxe. It's a great amp, good for jazz, blues, and classic rock.
2 - The Bad Monkey can only do so much.

I would look into something like a Fulltone OCD for seriously fattening up your tone. Or maybe a Wampler Plextortion, for just completely revamping your dirty sound. I'm not a big fan of distortion pedals, but the Wampler seems like a great deal, and has a lot of versaility.
For Sound Garden, try using the Free Fuzz at the same time as the Bad Monkey, but turn down the clipping on the Bad Monkey. An EHX Big Muff Pi wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

Thanks a lot for your input! The amp was a gift and I gladly accepted it, even though I could of at the time gotten the Fender Hot Rod deluxe, but I thought at the time the Blues Deluxe would suit me fine.

I have heard much good about the Fulltone OCD and have looked into it a few times, but I just haven't got the money for it at the moment.

When I tried to run the fuzz and bad monkey at the same time all I got was an uncontrollable mess. It was just a muddy distortion that sounded unpleasant. Maybe I did it wrong?
I think the Blues Dulxe is way better than the HRD, FWIW. The HRD has poo overdrive. I was just trying to say that some of the tones you're trying to coax out of the BD aren't within the capabilities of its voicing.

I dunno, the Bad Monkey + Free Fuzz was just an idea - I've never tried it. Just don't max out the gain on either pedal, and like I said, reduce the clipping coming from the Bad Monkey (so if the Bad Monkey was by itself, it would be a pretty clean tone.)

The Wampler costs just a bit more than the OCD, and that would offer a very different tone than the OCD, as well. It's worth looking into.
look into lovepedal pedals. they make some great-sounding stompboxes that could easily cover your needs
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I think the Blues Dulxe is way better than the HRD, FWIW. The HRD has poo overdrive. I was just trying to say that some of the tones you're trying to coax out of the BD aren't within the capabilities of its voicing.

I dunno, the Bad Monkey + Free Fuzz was just an idea - I've never tried it. Just don't max out the gain on either pedal, and like I said, reduce the clipping coming from the Bad Monkey (so if the Bad Monkey was by itself, it would be a pretty clean tone.)

The Wampler costs just a bit more than the OCD, and that would offer a very different tone than the OCD, as well. It's worth looking into.

Alright thanks once again. I had the gain turned up on the Bad Monkey and Fuzz so turning it down cleared it up some. I think I may get the Fulltone OCD now.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Look for a used one. There's bound to be a few, what with everyone needing to sell gear for money...

Which version of the OCD do you recommend?