Hiya, I just wanted to run something by you guys real quick to see if I got it right. Now, if I'm playing the E7 chord on my guitar, it consists of the notes E, G#, B, and D, correct? Thing is, in this case the note D is the minor seventh, and thus it isn't part of the major scale. So, what I'm asking is this: Would it be correct to say that a dominant 7th chord (such as E7) consists of a major triad with an added minor seventh?

cheers

/sub
You're correct about the E,G#,B and D. I'm not sure about the last thing though. Because E7M does fit in major.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Cool, thanks.

Quote by pinguinpanic
You're correct about the E,G#,B and D. I'm not sure about the last thing though. Because E7M does fit in major.

Sure, but Emaj7 isn't the same chord as E7. Emaj7 does in fact, if I'm not terribly confused here, use the note D# (the major 7th) - which is a part of the major scale.
Quote by deaththrashcore
It should be D#.

I'm pretty convinced it isn't, I think you're referring to E7M
E7=E,G#,B,D
E7=E,G#,B,D#
Em7=E,G,B,D
Em7M=E,G,B,D#

Edit: You posted while I was posting. E7 is not Emaj7/E7M. I misread your post I thought you meant 7th chords in general.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Last edited by pinguinpanic at Jan 9, 2009,
It is part of the major scale, although not E major. Build the chord from the 5th tone of the A major scale, and you'll notice the D fits right in.
Quote by SY22
It is part of the major scale, although not E major. Build the chord from the 5th tone of the A major scale, and you'll notice the D fits right in.

Oh yeah, my mistake.
Quote by pinguinpanic
I'm pretty convinced it isn't, I think you're referring to E7M
E7=E,G#,B,D
E7=E,G#,B,D#
Em7=E,G,B,D
Em7M=E,G,B,D#

Edit: You posted while I was posting. E7 is not Emaj7/E7M. I misread your post I thought you meant 7th chords in general.

All right, thanks for clearing that up man.