ok i have a amp but its just some crappy amp i picked up at wal mart for my acoustic electric but when i get my strat i wanna get a new one what amp should i get? i play blues/ Classic Rock(ac/dc, GNR) Tom petty, nickelback. i dont need a amp thats for like death metal i just need on thats versatile enough to play what im in the mood for(classic rock to blues to crisp clean sound to a heavy rock to even when the mood strikes to play some stuff even like slipknot or sumpthin) i was looking at the Line 6 spider 3 and just getting a big one cause the larger spider 3 models have the preset songs and artists the smaller spider 3 just have the 6 effects.... but would the spider 3 work for me it seems rather versatile. and anyother amps that are good for waht i like tell me.9 Im not looking for no stack or anything. maximum 50-150 watts
I realize you get more effects with the bigger ones but I seriously would not do it.

What is your budget and closest city because inventories and options vary across the world. Will you be gigging with it too or is this bedroom practice only?

Also, you realize the slipknot tone adds a layer of complexity over the other genres you mentioned but it is doable.
DONT GET THE SPIDER!!!!

Get a cube, if you really feel the need for more wattage theres a 60 watt, which is plenty to gig w/, I've jammed with my 30 over a dummer.
It can model like 6-7 different amps...(I'm to lazy to go check)
Its versitle as hell, well built, sounds sexy, I can go from hard rock to boys dont cry (the cure) in one turn of a knob. its awesome.
No, they dont have presets, but who the **** wants someone elses tone anyway?
Better question...who wants line6 spider tone???

Trust me, you'll regret it if you buy it.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Jan 9, 2009,
We need to know budget and location to give serious suggestions.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
idk . i just want to use it for like bedroom practice, but be able to do all the effects you would see at a gig, not sum plain jane amp dats just got clean and crappy distortion. i want clean good distortion and some cool effects. i dont really knoe wat a good budget is what would i be looking at to spend on a good small amp
Go with a cube or I believe its a vyper(?) that people around here are quite fond of as a modelling amp, or get a small tube amp and buy effects that you like.

If you decide to go the second route, look at the Epiphone Valve Junior, or Blackheart Killer Ant. Those have significantly better distortion (I own an EVJ) but are pretty straightforward amps. They do take pedals pretty well, and if you know what your doing, theyre very easy to mod, which can improve the cleans. Theyre realitivly cheap for a tube amp too, and they're both low wattage which means you can overdrive the tubes without killing innocent civilians.

But its up to you, I'd say go with a modelling amp, other than the spider, for now. Because nobody reports hating their cubes or vypers (i hope thats right...). If you search it, there are tons of threads from guys saying how they hate their spiders and need to upgrade..keep that in mind
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Also look at the Fender Super Champ XD. It has some nice clean and distortion models and decent effects.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...