well this is my VERY first post here and i have just recently picked up guitar (one week ago) and i have a question on arpeggios.. i have been practicing them and i can play them clean but how long will it take until i can play them fast?should i be able to play them fast by now?

btw sry if this post breaks any rules but i dont think it does
i think you need to slow down a little bit..it takes awhile. i think many here will say u need to work on basic stuff like chords and finger indepence.

u should have a good left hand technique before tackling sweeps. and also your right hand needs to be broke in also. learn how to use the pick correctly and stuff..

if u try to speed up the learning process ull end up with bad techniques and could injuire your self..and or..cause yourself to take even longer learning how to play well..if you get no more responses from here. id go to the avanced techquie thread and see what they tell you its under muscains talk
Technique first, then speed will come naturally. Once you can play it comfortably, you will be able to play a little faster. That repeats and you can build quickly with diligence.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
oo thanks guys cuz im watching people on youtube play these arpeggios insanley fast.. n ya ur probly right i shouldnt rush into things.. its just that i love how arpeggios sound and i couldnt wait to actually play them myself. btw soul eater Nice Pic!! buckethead ftw
Ugh. I hate when people pick up guitars and the first thing they do is try to sweep. I have a friend that I don't talk to anymore who can sweep like a pro but he can't do jack**** of anything else.
hey well at least you said "i hate when people" instead of "i hate people who" .. btw i dont know what to do since im not currently getting lessons , so i just went with what i like to listen to =p (i can play slow stuff to ex:hills of eternity , soothsayer (excluding the solo obviosly lol and me and my friends are playing animal i have become lol) im doing to many things at once! im just excited that ive got a guitar now =]
You definitely cannot play that stuff if you've only had a guitar for one week, even at a tenth of the speed. Slow down, it'll take maybe another year of solid, continuous practice before you get anywhere near half decent. Do the exercises and you'll get better with time.
Quote by Electric Tears
well this is my VERY first post here and i have just recently picked up guitar (one week ago) and i have a question on arpeggios.. i have been practicing them and i can play them clean but how long will it take until i can play them fast?should i be able to play them fast by now?

btw sry if this post breaks any rules but i dont think it does

Forget sweeping arpeggios - you've got no chance yet. You need to already be a relatively competent guitarist with good basic picking technique before you can even think of trying to attempt them so just forget them completely....sweeping is an advanced technique, you need to learn to walk before you can run.

Worry about learning to play the guitar, you have a hell of a lot of stuff you need to cover before sweeping comes into the picture. Start with some simple open chords, they'll help you get used to the guitar and build some strength in your fingers. Use them to learn to fret and pick notes cleanly and accurately, also use them to learn how to lay in time and play in different rhythms and strumming paterns. Open chords lead on to barre chords which get you moving arond the neck and increase your options and by then you'll have a great background for moving in to lead playing. And as far as your long term lofty ambitions for sweeping? Well, an arpeggio is just a chord so by learning your chords you're laying a strong foundation of knowledge that will help you with your sweeping when the time comes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 11, 2009,
Yeah, learn your open chords. It takes awhile to be able to switch through them cleanly, but it's worth it eventually. Once you get those under your fingers, you can move on to barre chords (which are usually tough at first).
Ikonoklast ,steven seagull ,Rave765

actually i can play soothsayer up to the solo my friends dont belive that i have only played for a little over a week , as for animal i have become .. that song is VERY easy.

though i will admit for hills of eternity i could not play it correctly because i did not know how to play a barre chord (well i do but i suck at it) so i just skip them and proceed to the next part.

i can try to post a video on youtube if you really want me to i just have to get a camera..but the songs that i mentiond are very easy so its nothing to make a big deal over
(except soothsayer .. the parts leading up to the solo took me so long to do)

as for building up finger strength and stuff ..make fun of me if you want but i believe gh3 helped me with that..i use to play that game hours upon end ...the first day i got a guitar i went to my friend to show him and he told me not to quit just becuase your fingers hurt .. you need to build callises(cant spell) .but even after playing my guitar for 5 straight hours my fingers never felt the slightest bit of pain.. so gh3 gave me callises(again sorry for spelling) believe it or not..

sorry for rambling on but one more thing!

i do try to practice some chords sometimes but there just so boring (imo)
can you guys recommend anything else for me thats relativley fun for a noobie ?
is it a good idea to learn all those scales and just keep playing them for hours (the ones in the lessons section)
My top 3 Influences

-Buckethead
-Jimi Hendrix
-Steve Vai
Guitar Hero did NOT help you no matter what you think - it simply doesn't relate to the real thing one bit. As for the songs you think you can play in my experience there's a huge difference between what people think they can play and how well they can actually play it.

There's no point worrying about scales yet, they can come later...when you actually know what scales are, otherwise your just doing exercises for the sake of doing exercises. As for chords being boring, well tough...this isn't Guitar Hero, things don't get more interesting and exciting the further you progress. The simplest, most "boring" things are the ones you'll be relying on for 95% of your playing time so you'd be well advised to spend a lot of time getting damn good at them. If you want to actally learn to play the guitar then you need to start at the beginning and be patient, and most of all you need to be brutally honest with yourself - just knowing how to play something isn't enough, it has to be clean, accurate, played with feeling and in timem otherwise you'll just turn into another of those YouTube losers.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Guitar Hero did NOT help you no matter what you think - it simply doesn't relate to the real thing one bit. As for the songs you think you can play in my experience there's a huge difference between what people think they can play and how well they can actually play it.

There's no point worrying about scales yet, they can come later...when you actually know what scales are, otherwise your just doing exercises for the sake of doing exercises. As for chords being boring, well tough...this isn't Guitar Hero, things don't get more interesting and exciting the further you progress. The simplest, most "boring" things are the ones you'll be relying on for 95% of your playing time so you'd be well advised to spend a lot of time getting damn good at them. If you want to actally learn to play the guitar then you need to start at the beginning and be patient, and most of all you need to be brutally honest with yourself - just knowing how to play something isn't enough, it has to be clean, accurate, played with feeling and in timem otherwise you'll just turn into another of those YouTube losers.

This. I usually spend a good few days on songs making sure I get every part cleanly (no ringing strings, string noise) and in time. Sometimes taking a break and going to another song then going back to it later.

Seagull could you tell me how you finger the intro chords in Purple Haze? I'm just curious how to play it. It's the E7#9, the G and the A. ( think you'd have to use your thumb on the neck to play the G and A though.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/jimi_hendrix/purple_haze_tab.htm