I have a question about buying a tube amp in the near future.

I'm either going to be getting a B-52 AT-112 or 212, and I was leaning toward the 212, but that thing is 100 watts tube...I'm currently playing through a Spider III 15 watt, and I hardly ever turn it up past 3 here at home.

Although I do have band practice and we jam often, would getting a 100 watt tube be too loud?

Or should I just pick up a small practice amp and only use the 212 when I'm with a drummer/gigs?
Quote by jdmurrayz
Fap energy comes from the soul, not the body.
get whatever you can afford, even if it's excessively large now, in the end it's worth it, and it's not gonna sound awful at low volume, itll still be sweet. buy the big one and then you wont regret not getting it.
Should I trade in my Spider III and my MT-2 for a better practice amp?
Quote by jdmurrayz
i gotta be honest, the spider, though pretty much crap, is LOUD for a 15 watt ss. i crank my 15 watt traynor tube amp a lot more really. also its important to note that tube amps don't sound BAD turned down, just not as good as when theyre cranked up
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
yes, its better to pay a little bit more for alot
of headroom now, because you're going to need
bigger eventually.
The spider is LOUD...loud and crappy >:|

okay, so i've pretty muched decided on the 212...but i have a couple of questions regarding tube amps...ive never owned a tube amp before, and i heard you have to bias it or something like that? what exactly does that mean?

also, are there any general tips on how to take care of a tube amp so you dont destroy the tubes or wear them out or anyhting like that?
Quote by jdmurrayz
You anly need to bias it if you are replacing the tubes. Unless it's cathode biased, in which case you just put the tubes in and play. Uh, let the amp warm up before you play is something
Quote by mcrfobtai
You anly need to bias it if you are replacing the tubes. Unless it's cathode biased, in which case you just put the tubes in and play. Uh, let the amp warm up before you play is something

Hm...I've seen you before, I'm pretty sure you've answered one my amp threads in the past...thanks for the help bro

how often do i have replace the tubes?
Quote by jdmurrayz
Quote by ShrimpthePimp
Hm...I've seen you before, I'm pretty sure you've answered one my amp threads in the past...thanks for the help bro

how often do i have replace the tubes?

Really, about once a year to 2 years if you play it a lot at decent volumes. Probably in 2-3 years
Quote by enselmis
get whatever you can afford, even if it's excessively large now, in the end it's worth it, and it's not gonna sound awful at low volume, itll still be sweet. buy the big one and then you wont regret not getting it.

fail
true its not going to sound awful at low levels, but you don't need a 2x12 by any means
you might regret it when you can't get a nice cranked sound, and/or your back breaks
go with the 1x12, its plenty
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^I agree. And I think you will grow tired of lugging the extra weight of the 212. It will sound slightly fuller and have more headroom obviously. What is the current sale price and availability?

I heard from the B-52 thread that the 212 is $390 at GC, and my local music store said they'd be willing to special order it for me and beat the price at GC.
But along with the 112/212, I also want to get Maxon OD808 and a Korg Pitchblack tuner, are these good pedals?
Quote by jdmurrayz
The 112 is huge and heavy and plenty loud. Turning it up to about 1 was plenty for bedroom levels. About 1 1/2 was getting loud.

I'd get the 112 and snag a peavey vypyr 15 for practice. Those things are loud as hell for SS amps.
Quote by Pac_man0123
The 112 is huge and heavy and plenty loud. Turning it up to about 1 was plenty for bedroom levels. About 1 1/2 was getting loud.

I'd get the 112 and snag a peavey vypyr 15 for practice. Those things are loud as hell for SS amps.

The 112 is only 40 lbs, its not that heavy. the 212, on the other hand, is like 85 :|
Quote by jdmurrayz
a 1x12 b-52, a 15 watt vypyr (if you want) along with a od-808 and the pitchblack would be a nice setup for the money
i would look used for the pedals though, and save some money
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
a 1x12 b-52, a 15 watt vypyr (if you want) along with a od-808 and the pitchblack would be a nice setup for the money
i would look used for the pedals though, and save some money

ugh, i cant go used, if i could, i probably would be getting a mesa or a triple xxx combo,
whatever, its not my money anyway, its the mothers.
Quote by jdmurrayz
Quote by ShrimpthePimp
ugh, i cant go used, if i could, i probably would be getting a mesa or a triple xxx combo,
whatever, its not my money anyway, its the mothers.

Why can't you look at used gear and trade UP?

Why does it not matter? Your Mother has already spent a ton I'm sure just raising you. Money is money and it is in the family.

??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Why can't you look at used gear and trade UP?

Why does it not matter? Your Mother has already spent a ton I'm sure just raising you. Money is money and it is in the family.

??

If i were to pay for something used, I'd have to go get it with my own money, and seeing as how i probably wont have a job anytime soon...its best just to stick with her.
Quote by jdmurrayz
I have a 10w SS amp and it sounds like crap when its at low volumes on the distortion channel. It gets no breakup but when I turn it up it gets too much. It's still hella loud once I turn it up to like 4
^most 10w SS practice amps are like that. Doesn't answer my question. I'm trying to help you get a better amp AND save money potentially. I forgot what else I've recommended but that is what I would be looking for.

Get the 112, it will be more than enough. Get the vypyr15 for practice. Don't waste your mom's money on the 212. kthxbai
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Well, I still think that is kinda lame. Why wouldn't you want to save your Mom money and get a better amp at the same time.

Oh, i think you might have the story wrong?
I DO want to go used, and I tried explaining already that getting a used XXX combo would be better and just about the same (if you factor in the pedals and whatnot) but she wouldn't listen. :|
Quote by jdmurrayz