Hey everyone

for a beginning luthier like myself i have a question.

how do you get out there as a builder and become known and get clients who what to purchase your instruments or parts. probably partially through friends and youself showing others your instruments
and
obvously you/I would have to get to a decent level of quality and have build a number of instruments allready.

so how do you get out there

thanks
Gian
One method doesn't earn any revenue, but it gets you recognition. Build some guitars and give them to professional musicians. If a pro likes the guitar and uses it on stage or in a video, there's your recognition and free advertising. Another method involves building guitars and getting local guitar stores to carry them. You've got to build a loyal customer base. Do you have a website? It's all about getting your name and guitars out there for the public to see, play and buy.

Read the Bob Taylor success story. I believe he had a guy going around the country getting orders from guitar stores. This was how they got their start. Check it out on the Taylor Guitars site.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jan 9, 2009,
^ wat he said or kijiji or craiglist
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
hey steven
thanks for the info. thats kinda what i believed too. you need to just get your name out there and get noticed for no profit or even at a loss until you become respected and wanted as a builder. it would probaly be good if the builder was is a band him/her self (i sorta am) and could get some interest if someone in the crowd likes the instrument.
also thanks for the story about taylor. im still reading lol, its pretty long, but interesting. ive also read the story of paul reed smith in the past which is kinda similar and really what got me interested and motivated to give this a go.thanks.

anyone else have any personal expirence on how a way they got out there?

thankyou
Gian
I tried selling guitars bodies and necks with a good return policy through here harmony central myspace a few other guitar forums and craigslist. I did it for about 2 months and everyday I got about 5 different people asking me to build them guitars, out o all those people I built one guitar for someone and then he wouldn't pay. There are a lot of people who like to talk to you about building a guitar and then tell you they have no money, it's a lot of work talking to everyone and giving prices. I was going to make a couple guitars and put one on consignment at a local store that sells a bunch of used stuff and see if a music store would take one, but before I started those I got sick of everything and decided to just build guitars for myself and maybe try selling one I already made. The best way is getting the word out and finding a way to get people to try them.
sorry to hear that 420. thats what i would be worrid about too. online its always harder and you never really know what/who your dealing with. thats why i would really be more comefortable locally doing business.
unless you had deposits made which is what ive seen a few builders websites showing. you could have like the depost be for almost the cost of materials. then have the rest due at finish.

idk. as you said, you can get a lot of business online though
thanks for the advice

Gian
I would ask LP Addict.

He gets commissioned builds left, right, and centre. (An expression for getting a lot of something)

He seems to be doing OK. I believe he got local music stores to carry some of his work... But really, if you do a good enough job, you're product will sell itself.

I'd say talk to local music shops and just talk to people.

For example, I was talking to a girl in my science class about how I build guitars. The next day, one of her friends asked me to install pickups for him.

It's all about networking.

Today at work, my coworker was talking about buying a Gibson Les Paul black beauty. He said the only thing holding him back was that it costs $3000. After I told him I could build a guitar much better than an average gibson and sell it to him for half that price, he was rather interested.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by gian133
sorry to hear that 420. thats what i would be worrid about too. online its always harder and you never really know what/who your dealing with. thats why i would really be more comefortable locally doing business.
unless you had deposits made which is what ive seen a few builders websites showing. you could have like the depost be for almost the cost of materials. then have the rest due at finish.

idk. as you said, you can get a lot of business online though
thanks for the advice
Gian

Yeah, **** happens I ended up finding someone willing to trade that and another neck and body for a vintage fender amp so it's not too bad. Pretty much, if you have a good return policy and advertise enough you are bound to get a build once in a while and you should get more as you get more references and are better known, but I would never count on it as a primary job unless you were widely known and that takes a while.
good to hear it worked out in the end 420. and yea i cant count on it being a primary job either. unless you had a shop putting out, idk , a few guitars a week.

and Invader Jim, you seem to be a big name here. i tried searching with no luck. yea you can find plenty of "how do i be a luther?" posts but i was looking for answers about the business part. if you know what to search for please let me know. thanks

Thanks everyone
Gian