lets say im praticing at 30 bpm...if i go to 120 and play on every beat would that be the same??

at 30 do i play 4 notes per beat..im confused on how to use a metronome..all this time iv been playing with everything beat.

for example at 200 bpm i would play a note at every beat..should it be more like 4 notes per beat? or whatever timing im using
To read a time signature use this method:
4/4 - There are 4 beats in every bar (when looking at sheet music) and a quarter note gets one beat.
6/4 - There are 6 beats in every bar (" " " " ") and a quarter note gets one beat.
6/8 - There are 6 beats in every bar (" " " " ") and an eighth note gets one beat.

SO keeping this in mind, play a quarter note every so many beats (up to you how many beats to play per quarter note) and then from there double the number of beats per note and then you're playing half notes. Half the number of beats you initially chose for quarter notes and you're playing eigth notes. Half # of beats for 8th notes and u get 16th notes. etc etc etc

EDIT: If I didn't make something clear enough just say so and I shall elaborate for you.

EDIT2: Good sheet music you buy at a music store often has something at the top where it will show the picture of a note (often a quarter note or eighth note) and then the number of bpm. like this: <picture of note> = <# bpm>
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
Last edited by kingofdudes161 at Jan 9, 2009,
Most people set their metronome to quarter notes when playing a song. Usually whatever the bottom number of the time signature is. (For example, if you were playing in 6/8, you should set your metronome to eighth notes.)
Neon Neon Neon Neon Neon Black

UG's #1 anti-active advocate

Gear:
Engl Powerball
Carvin DC727
Schecter C-1+
Line 6 Flextone 3
Line 6 M9
ok let me explain my problem better...with my metronome at 30 bpm its hard for me to keep the timing correct. so when i play the 4th note of whatever im playing its not at the same time with the metronome

m===m
1 2 3 4

the numbers are my guitar playing and the m is the metronome beat. i dont even know if im using it correctly..so correct me if that is the wrong way to use it...

now if i times 30 times 4 that is 120 ..if i play along with 120 note for note i would be playing at 30 bpm correct?

im just praticing theres no special timing just a 4/4 beat..so i guess it all boils down too...4 notes per beat is a 4/4?

the m should be over the 4
Correct. 30x4=120, so if you play every beat instead of every 4 then you will be playing the same speed.

30bpm:
m===m
1 2 3 4

120bpm:
mmmm
1 2 3 4
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
ok so now i have to try to fix my problem so i can play at 30 consistant instend of having to put it on 120. is that a old number to pratice at. lol i mean is there any tricks to it? as long as i have a steady tempo im fine but when theres that much open silence its tricky for me