Ok, I have a Gretsch G5120 with stock pickups and I run it through a Line 6 30 Watt Amp. Now, when I tune it to Standard Tuning, all my Chords are fine and in tune, BUT my D-Chord when I hit it, the High E is not in tune with the other strings. The whole string has alot of problems, when lets say i strike the high E String on the 2nd Fret and then the B String on the 2nd Fret together it sounds ok, BUT if i strike the high E String on the 2nd fret, and the B String on the 3rd fret, its really out of tune. So whats going on and how can I fix it? This problem happened on my last guitar too, and I was hoping it was gone but its happening on this guitar too! Please help!
First to rule out the obvious, check tuning and intonation
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
dude bye a tuner duh it probably a loose tuner
THE KREATOR OF THE ALL METAL AND KERRY KING GROUP PM ME TO JOIN
Proud BLACK 13 Owner
RIP Charles Michael "Chuck" Schuldiner THE FATHER OF DEATH METAL
GOD HATES US ALL-SLAYER
its either youre intonation or you. how long have you been playing? it takes awhile to learn to tell whats "in tune" and whats not.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
If you play the B string at the 5th fret and the open high E at the same time, they should be at the same pitch - both are Es. Do the notes match?
Quote by AC/DC458
Ok, I have a Gretsch G5120 with stock pickups and I run it through a Line 6 30 Watt Amp. Now, when I tune it to Standard Tuning, all my Chords are fine and in tune, BUT my D-Chord when I hit it, the High E is not in tune with the other strings. The whole string has alot of problems, when lets say i strike the high E String on the 2nd Fret and then the B String on the 2nd Fret together it sounds ok, BUT if i strike the high E String on the 2nd fret, and the B String on the 3rd fret, its really out of tune. So whats going on and how can I fix it? This problem happened on my last guitar too, and I was hoping it was gone but its happening on this guitar too! Please help!

Just saying this: B3+E2 isn't supposed to sound 'in tune'.. To get those two strings to sound good together you either strike 2 on both, or 4 on your E and 2 on your B. There are ofcourse other combinations of playing, you can play whatever the **** you want, but your way of checking if your string is in tune or having problems is rathar flawed.
I assume that when you play the b and the high e in the same fret that you are using one finger to hold down the strings. When you play your D chord you use different fingers to hold down the strings. If you press really hard on the E and not as hard on the B you could make the E string go sharp. Depends on how high your frets are. Just a guess.
yeah, definetnly check the tuning and intonation to make sure its right and if not fret the b string on the 5th fret and play it and then play the high e open and if they sound different tune the high e higher if it sounds lower or tune down if it sounds higher and till the sound exactly alike
I have the intonation adjusted perfectly. The High-E is in tune, all the strings are but if I do a D-Chord, the B string on the 3rd Fret is fine, and the G-String on the 3rd fret is fine, along with all the other open strings. BUT the E-String on the 2nd fret doesn't sound in tune with the other strings when played with the other mentioned strings and notes.
guitars are never perfectly tuned across their fretboard, about normally you wouldnt hear it so it must be something

just cant think of anything likely, doubt its a high fret, i assume your not using excessive pressure or accidently bending the string, the scale of the guitar should be fine, the fret should be in the right place

hard thing to work out
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Ya. I hear other guitars D-Chords and they are fine but mine is screwed up
its definately the intonation. its a 5-minute fix tops.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
LOL. Well The intonation is fine, I have done everything. I don't know what else. Maybe I will try shortning or extending the string lenght for the high e to see if that does anything
Oh and the string sounds out of tune all over the neck, but my tuner says its in tune at the 12th fret and the open e
You check intonation with the 12th fret harmonic and fretted at the 12th fret, not open string.
Set it with the 12th fret & harmonic, see if that helps. I've read alot of websites that say open string too, but its not right.
Quote by danohat
It's simple. Never again shall you play the chord named D!

HAHAHAHAHA FUNNIEST THING IVE HEARD 2DAY HAHA
I'm having a simular problem with my ltd, intonation is fine etc etc, but i can play a G chord and it wil l sound perfect then play a D chord then my high e will sound sharp. so stange. so annoying.
Errr... Only with this batch of strings or has it been the case all along?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by AC/DC458
LOL. Well The intonation is fine, I have done everything. I don't know what else. Maybe I will try shortning or extending the string lenght for the high e to see if that does anything

What exactly do YOU think intonation is?
Cause that statement just proved you don't really know.
Quote by immoralitylee
I'm having a simular problem with my ltd, intonation is fine etc etc, but i can play a G chord and it wil l sound perfect then play a D chord then my high e will sound sharp. so stange. so annoying.

Possibly a high nut causing you to go sharper the closer to the nut you fret.
Quote by AC/DC458

There is a huge, huge difference between intonation, and something being in tune. To briefly explain the two. In tune is when all of the guitar's strings match their respective notes when played open. Example, a guitar tuned to standard, the E string when played open is an E note, not flat or sharp. the A string played open is an A note, not flat or sharp, etc.

Now, the intonation of the guitar, is the length of each of the strings, which adjusts how the guitar sounds when you fret it. By "length of the strings" I mean the length of the string that's vibrating, which should be from your headstock, just above the 1st fret, down to your bridge where the string meets the saddle. You can ussually adjust this fairly easily. A longer string will cause your fretted notes to be flat, a shorter string causes them to be sharp. Pretty simple. To test intonation (as mentioned) the 12th fret harmonic should match the 12 fret.
Quote by AC/DC458
I have the intonation adjusted perfectly. The High-E is in tune, all the strings are but if I do a D-Chord, the B string on the 3rd Fret is fine, and the G-String on the 3rd fret is fine, along with all the other open strings. BUT the E-String on the 2nd fret doesn't sound in tune with the other strings when played with the other mentioned strings and notes.

D major chord?