I want a guitar that will last a long time and always sound good ( as long as I'm playing well.) I was looking at electric guitars a few weeks ago but before I make a purchase I want to look at acoustic guitars as well because I really love the sound of good acoustic guitar playing. I eventually want to have both but for now I'd rather have a great acoustic rather than an electric.

I really was inspired listening to Kaki King and Antoine Dufour as well as some of Miyavi's music. I don't have a lot to spend. Only around $600 right now but I can save up more if need be. I just want to have a good versatile guitar preferably with a cutaway so I can reach all the frets.
$600 should get you something pretty decent!

Kaki King plays an Ovation- a high level Adamas as I recall- among other guitars. Personally, I own an Ovation Elite, and love it to death. However, I would advise against buying any Ovation that is smaller than a mid- or full-bowl depth. The thinlines sound...well..thin when played unplugged. There are Ovations within and just a little outside your budget.

Yamaha and Seagull also produce excellent guitars in your price range. Seagull's parent company, Godin, has several other lines as well, all of which I've enjoyed playing, some of which may be affordable to you.

Furthermore, if you're not averse to purchasing a used instrument, you may find even better deals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks. I'll definitely look at some ovations to see if I like any of them. Would I be able to get something much better if I saved up more say to around $1000 or a little more? Or would it be a small improvement that might not really be worth the extra money?
For $1000, you get significant increases in your options.

At that level, you're getting more choices in woods, colors, electronics and even- or especially- in brands. Check out Carvin, Seagull (and the rest of the Godin line), and so forth.

Some major name makers don't seem to make anything decent under $800. Also at this price, you're starting to be able to afford the work of some of the lesser-known- but not necessarily inferior in quality- luthiers.

IOW, $1000 could get you something just shy of a true custom guitar. I have a Jon Kammerer walnut acoustic-electric that was about $1200 as I recall, and despite being a slimline design, it has a nice warm sound and can project fairly well due to its parabolic shape...but its still better plugged in than not.

http://www.gearwire.com/jkg-guitars-general-guitarshow.html

Rockbeach Guitars start around $1500.
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com/

But let me ask this question: how long have you been playing? If you're new or haven't played for long, you don't necessarily want to plunk down that much money when you could spend a LOT less, have a quality instrument, and spend your money on things like lessons to improve your overall initial experience with the instrument.

Because the honest truth is that you don't have to spend a lot of money to enjoy the guitar.

My first guitar cost under $100- it was a cheap Alvarez acoustic that I played to death. When it died, I replaced it with the Ovation Elite (full-bowl) that I've had since 1990 or so.

My next acoustic was a Yamaha classical for about $250- and its a really nice guitar. Again, a decent instrument for its price- not an investment guitar, but definitely worth the money.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 9, 2009,
I've been playing a little over 4 months taking lessons since I started. I'm practicing more and more as I grow to love playing more. I've been renting a Mark Kelly acoustic from the local guitar shop where I'm taking the lessons but I feel like getting a better quality guitar that I'll have for a long time will not only sound better but also motivate me to play more.
hey dude, check out crafter guitars. they are awsoem guitars, i always loved the shapes that taylors come in, and crafter has a bunch of guitars that have similar shapes. not only that. they sounds as great as they look. if you are looking to spend up to 600 i'd go for a crafter! i currently have a tc035n and i love it
Alvarez, Takamine, Washburn, and Seagulls make great guitars in this range.

My personal favorite companies are Takamine and Seagull. They both have a nice tone and seem to fit me perfectly. The Seagull has a bit bulkier of a neck that is great for my gigantic hands, and the Takamine, while having a thinner neck, is just as comfortable and has better action than most electrics I've played.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
At the 4 months of playing stage, there are better things to do with your money than buying a $1000 guitar, unless you find THE ONE. You know, like if you find an old Martin at a pawn shop and it has Eric Clapton's name on it...

Instead of plunking down that much money, spend $600 or less, get a nice Seagull or one of the other brands listed in this thread, and continue learning.

Hopefully I'm not stealing KeineZeit's thread, but I'm looking to try out some quality acoustics--anything below $3,000 is what I'm aiming for.

Paul Simon, and Seth Avett(of the Avett Brothers) are the two who inspire me the most.