Hey everyone, i'm new to the forums. I have been playing guitar for 7 years and in this past month, i finally got a tiny home studio to do my recordings. I have a minor Phobia about electronics, i treat them as living things and hate leaving them running all the time. :P

anyway, is it OK to leave my Tascam US-122L Digital Interface plugged in to my computer via USB.. all the time? worries free? i ask this because i think that somehow the digital interface will wear down because its always on. so far every time i am done recording, i unplug the digital interface from my computer and re-plug at next recording session.

any ideas? someone wanna smack me on the head :P?
*smacks head*

It's probably good practice to turn stuff off when you're not using it but the equipment won't detiriorate because it's plugged in longer. How would the major studios operate if they had to re-cable all of their racks and other gear every single day?
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I'm sure it would be fine left in there, just maybe make sure it does not get too warm or something like that, personally I tear down my stuff when its not being used b/c i cant stand the clutter on my desk when im doing school work
Quote by chinchek
Hey everyone, i'm new to the forums. I have been playing guitar for 7 years and in this past month, i finally got a tiny home studio to do my recordings. I have a minor Phobia about electronics, i treat them as living things and hate leaving them running all the time. :P

anyway, is it OK to leave my Tascam US-122L Digital Interface plugged in to my computer via USB.. all the time? worries free? i ask this because i think that somehow the digital interface will wear down because its always on. so far every time i am done recording, i unplug the digital interface from my computer and re-plug at next recording session.

any ideas? someone wanna smack me on the head :P?

no that shouldn't be bad for it. I know a lot of pro studios who leave everything on all the time, including the computers
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
Quote by Sonny_sam
*smacks head*

It's probably good practice to turn stuff off when you're not using it but the equipment won't detiriorate because it's plugged in longer. How would the major studios operate if they had to re-cable all of their racks and other gear every single day?

plus most of these are usually soldered in :P
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
wow, thanks for the quick response! i like this community already =)
you are right about the major studios, i should have of thought about that before asking.

so anything that doesnt have a fan (digital interface, mixers, effect pedals) doesnt really need to be turned off since nothing over heats?
I'd still turn stuff off when you're not using it for long periods of time, but there's no need to unplug it all.

Also, this is one of the more 'friendly' ares of UG. 5 minutes in the pit will soon change your mind about the community, lol.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sonny_sam
I'd still turn stuff off when you're not using it for long periods of time, but there's no need to unplug it all.

Also, this is one of the more 'friendly' ares of UG. 5 minutes in the pit will soon change your mind about the community, lol.

So true....

As far as cables, no problem.

A couple of cautions, though about leaving power plugged in...

Some things get hotter than others, and some things tolerate heat better than others. If you have all your hot power items at the bottom of a big rack system, they will heat the things towards the top... particularly those things directly above. That could be bad. A lot of heat-intensive things, like tube preamps, recommend either having a fan to cool your rack, or leaving a space between those kinds of things for air-flow.

I fried my Delta 1010 because it got too hot. Some capacitor somewhere inside. The instructions recommend not leaving it on for long periods of time. Since I leave my computer on, and since it has its own power supply, and since I ignored the instructions , I paid the price. Now, I still leave my computer on, but my rack is connected to a different power bar. I turn off the power bar after every use. It also saves hydro.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
My stuff is always rigged. Granted, I don't have that much stuff (don't need it since I'm a one-man operation) but my USB interface is always hooked up and my guitar and bass amp sims are always hooked up to the interface. The only thing I stow away is the microphone and mic cable and that's mostly because I want the capsule to stay somewhat healthy. That said though, when I'm not using it it's all turned off.