Poll: Which would you support?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which would you support?
Both opening empty houses and Office Blocks up to the Homeless
95 58%
Only opening Office Blocks up to the Homeless
25 15%
Only opening empty houses up to the Homeless
18 11%
Not opening either
25 15%
Voters: 163.
Page 1 of 3
In Europe we're currently having an extremely cold winter, the kind that makes people die when they're not in their lovely warm beds.
Some Homeless charities have become very concerned about this, and as their shelters are full they have began asking the public here in Ireland to bring homeless people into their houses if they have extra vacant properties, which many people do.
This got me thinking, would you take a homeless person into a house you had vacant (if you had one obviously), supposing the government insured it in case of damage or theft or whatever?
Also do you think this is a good idea? Should we take it a step further and open up vacant office buildings to them during the night, I know in places like London there are thousands of square foot of lit office block left empt every night while people freeze to death on the street.

EDIT: not into the house that you're living in. Bringing a stranger in to your own house while you sleep is not something people would be expected to do.
Into an empty house that you have (holiday home or whatever) and the government will insure it so that in the unlikely event that any damage is done you won't be at a loss.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Jan 9, 2009,
To be honest I would consider it. I mean I would be careful about who it was and if it was a homeless person I have seen a lot then I would be more inclined to do it. I believe in being a good person.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Send them to Mexico.

They are going to be poor either way.

And also, they get warm weather
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I don't know, honestly. I'd be very wary of my own personal safety, considering desperate people will often do desperate things.
Some charities for the homeless also take money out of your bank without your permission ¬__¬

If I had the property I guess I might, yeah.
Quote by SteveHouse
Also you're off topic. This thread is about Reva eating snowmen.
No

The homeless are disgusting, drug addled burdens of the state. Ive never had a pleasant conversation with a bum, nor has one ever failed to ask me for money. **** em, let em freeze.
^
Bless your tiny withered heart.

Quote by Life Lease
I don't know, honestly. I'd be very wary of my own personal safety, considering desperate people will often do desperate things.

Oh not into the house that you're living in. Bringing a stranger in to your own house while you sleep is not something people would be expected to do.
Into an empty house that you have (holiday home or whatever) and the government will insure it so that in the unlikely event that any damage is done you won't be at a loss.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Pernell
No

The homeless are disgusting, drug addled burdens of the state. Ive never had a pleasant conversation with a bum, nor has one ever failed to ask me for money. **** em, let em freeze.

This is by far one of the most ignorant/jackass posts I have seen on here.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by Pernell
No

You make the average Pit-Monkey look like a saint by comparison
I voted no. Get a job.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by RockGuitar92
This is by far one of the most ignorant/jackass posts I have seen on here.

..and yet the poster was most likely exhaggerating. Which in a way makes it a little funny.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Sure I would!

I couldn't live with myself knowing that people are freezing to death while I have a warm, vacant home that they could be living in.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I wouldn't let a homeless person stay in my house because I'd rather not have all my stuff stolen when I'm away or be stabbed to death in my sleep.
I'd open as much possible to help the homeless, as much as I don't want them on the streets, I see no need for them to die either. Maybe if they get another taste of the indoors, they'll want to try and get a job and strive to become wealthy, or work enough so that they can get a little apartment even...Any hope is better than no hope at all
i wouldnt do anything.
Quote by TheBigProjekt
Quick question, don;t make fun of me please.
When does your dick "grow" the most, as im 14 and I'm still on the small side.

..I just don't want a small dick XD
Quote by xxAlBeRtxx
i wouldnt do anything.

Three cheers for apath... Ahh fuck it, who cares...
Quote by Pernell
No

Your ignorance and close-mindedness is disgusting. I've seen breeze blocks with greater charitable sense than you.

I'd consider it, but I can't say for certain until I actually have spare property. The office block idea sounds fantastic, though.
Sure I would. I also think like the one who posted this thread. Where I live there are SO many vacant strip malls or other places that were grocery stores. Why not use those so the homeless can have a place to stay, If not all the time, at least in the winter. Also, In my town we have, what looks to be like parking meters, but their posts are painted white with red dots on it. The change that is put in those goes straight to the food bank and other homeless programs. Other places need to start programs like that.
From The Womb To The Tomb, I Guess I'll Be Like A Child
I have no problem with the homeless like it seems to me a lot of people do; some are just down on their luck but many more suffer from some kind of mental disorder which hinders their ability to operate in common society. I would probably not open my doors to allow any homeless to stay the night but I would offer them food and I think allowing them to use empty office buildings as shelter is a great idea because there is no risk to any one and empty space is wasted space.
Quote by SleightOfHand
****in right budday! grunge is the shiite!

didnt read ur post tho so dont know what im agreeing to.

Quote by horloko
Good. More centaur pussy for me.

Quote by myearshurt

God bless you GrungeBeatle

Quote by severed-metal
I'd open as much possible to help the homeless, as much as I don't want them on the streets, I see no need for them to die either. Maybe if they get another taste of the indoors, they'll want to try and get a job and strive to become wealthy, or work enough so that they can get a little apartment even...Any hope is better than no hope at all

Yeah those poor bums probably forget what the inside of a building feels like.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by Holy Katana
And why is that? Why shouldn't we help the disadvantaged?

Because that would take effort.
Quote by Holy Katana
And why is that? Why shouldn't we help the disadvantaged?

why should we
Quote by TheBigProjekt

screw charity
Quote by TheBigProjekt

Quote by xxAlBeRtxx
why should we

is not a good thing to do, to help those who cannot help themselves
Quote by SleightOfHand

Quote by horloko

Quote by myearshurt

Quote by xxAlBeRtxx
why should we

Empathy?
Because freezing to death is horrible.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Empathy?

Be that as it may, dying in itself would end their pain.

Either way, I still vote towards helping them to the best of my ability.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Empathy?

have you ever frozen to death?
Quote by TheBigProjekt

Quote by Ur all $h1t
Empathy?

it's probably one of the better ways to go considering the alternatives
Quote by SleightOfHand

Quote by horloko

Quote by myearshurt

Here's the thing, in the states, state taxes going to mental institutions was discontinued a long time ago. So not only are many homeless people homeless, they suffer from many mental illnesses and conditions. I can't go downtown without seeing someone with schizophrenia talking to themselves in a window of a closed store.

I would definitely open up an extra home if I ever had one to someone who was mentally stable, and maybe even to someone who wasn't, I just feel like giving them a home isn't all the help they really need. But as far as giving them what I have to offer for them, I would definitely do it.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Quote by xxAlBeRtxx

That isn't what empathy means. If he wanted to mean what you say, he'd have said "personal experience" instead. Since he's clearly not dead and typing at his keyboard, I can only assume your question was rhetorical, so a piece of advice: next time you ask a rhetorical question, make sure your words match your meaning.
Quote by xxAlBeRtxx

, fair play.
I haven't, but being cold sucks balls and people who have had frostbite have said it was awful. So going by that I presume that taking to to the extreme and being so cold that your body just shuts down would be pretty shit.
Dying, in general, is not something most people like to do.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by xxAlBeRtxx

He said empathy, not sympathy.
I want to work in revelations, not just spin silly tales for money.I want to fish as deep down as possible into my own subconscious in the belief that once that far down, everyone will understand because they are the same that far down.
Oh, and I'd let a homeless person not only sleep in my house, but stay as long as they like, and give them as much help possible. And then we'd play dressup.
First off this thread was made for this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rs8Cht58GU
Second I think the only solution is to ARM THE HOMELSS. Drop them off in a contested area with an AK-47 and those kool lunches that only take a minute to make,if they clear the town they get a home.Its a win win.We get rid of the homeless if they die and if they dont we get rid of some towel he..I mean our enemies.
Nice boys don't play rock n' roll...Im not a nice boy and I never was
Haven't you ever seen the King of Queens episode where they invite in the homeless guy on thanksgiving and he locks them out of the house and steals their things?
Quote by Johny Burninate
First off this thread was made for this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rs8Cht58GU
Second I think the only solution is to ARM THE HOMELSS. Drop them off in a contested area with an AK-47 and those kool lunches that only take a minute to make,if they clear the town they get a home.Its a win win.We get rid of the homeless if they die and if they dont we get rid of some towel he..I mean our enemies.

At first I was reading about arming the homeless and I agreed until it went to ****. See, I would arm the homeless and the working class and use them as tools to bring about the collapse of the American aristocracy.
Quote by SleightOfHand

Quote by horloko

Quote by myearshurt

Quote by Johny Burninate

Yeah....too bad that wasn't the slightest bit funny or clever.
Page 1 of 3