Okay just got my first electric, and need an amp. It has to be under 200 new, so i can hopefully find one on craigslist under 150-maybe 170.

dallas.craigslist.org if you want to help find.

It needs to have bass mids and treble knobs because i want to dial in my own tone, not use just models the the roland cubes. I was looking at a valvetronix vt30xl on craigslist for 150. are they any good? what is the difference between the XL version and the normal 30?

If thats not very good, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks
The first one gets heavier and is better for metal.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
The first one gets heavier and is better for metal.

How bad is the xl at lighter stuff? Cause if i can get the normal down to 150 or so ill get it, but if not ill probably get the xl. I want to play rough-er blues to modern rock to average metal, not like death stuff tho
my brother has a marshall avt50x that he doesnt use anymore so its pretty much mine, its a pretty good amp,you can go pretty loud, even play along with a drumset without much feedback, im upgrading to a peavey 5150 though
On the XL or regular valvetronix 30, i cant find pictures of settings. Do you have to have an amp model or is there a "manual" mode where its whatever the knobs are?
I know the VT30 has a manual mode, but dont know about the two craigslist ones since they're AD30VT instead of just VT. is there a difference? I just wanna know if both the links i posted have a manual mode where i put the settings instead of preset models.
The XL's are all about gain and lots of it, for the type of music you mentioned the straight AD30VT would be much better, even if you gotta pay $25 more.

For the most part the new VTxx series is a combination of the ADxxVT and the ADxxVT-XL models. If you're just starting out and not planning on playing in a band situation for a while, you could get a brand new VT15 for 2 bills.

The best thing you could do now is go to voxamps.com, the manuals for each are there and will answer your questions about which is capable of doing what.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by SwamperGene
The XL's are all about gain and lots of it, for the type of music you mentioned the straight AD30VT would be much better, even if you gotta pay $25 more.

For the most part the new VTxx series is a combination of the ADxxVT and the ADxxVT-XL models. If you're just starting out and not planning on playing in a band situation for a while, you could get a brand new VT15 for 2 bills.

The best thing you could do now is go to voxamps.com, the manuals for each are there and will answer your questions about which is capable of doing what.

Yea its not much of a difference...... but im 14, dont have ways of getting money, and this is all my birthday money. I have about 150... and i really can't get much till next year when im allowed to get a job haha

But thank you, most helpful answer
Oh I hear ya even an old dude like me understands that. But, an old dude like me is gonna also tell you that it is so worth that $25 extra if that amp will be more inspiring, if you're not happy with the sound you won't be happy playing your new guitar. XL's are on CL alot and my guess would be that after 15 minutes of feeling all br00tal the owners realize that they don't clean up too well. Hopefully the seller of the regular one will take the $150, remind him it's your birthday.
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by SwamperGene
Oh I hear ya even an old dude like me understands that. But, an old dude like me is gonna also tell you that it is so worth that $25 extra if that amp will be more inspiring, if you're not happy with the sound you won't be happy playing your new guitar. XL's are on CL alot and my guess would be that after 15 minutes of feeling all br00tal the owners realize that they don't clean up too well. Hopefully the seller of the regular one will take the $150, remind him it's your birthday.

Haha im tellin him its my birthday, only bit of money i have, only 14 and that he needs to support a youngun in the art, hopefully he'll do it.

I went to the site and checked the manuals, its got the stuff i need. I think im gettin it if he lowers
lol I just realized he posted that regular AD30 in the electronics section of CL, so at least it should slim down any immediate competition for ya.
My Stuff:
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah