Okay, well my school musical director came to me today, asking me to do guitar for jazz band, next year, and try out. Well, I have ABSOLUTELY no idea how to read standard notation for guitar, but I do for violin, and piano, and such. But anyways, the song is Route 66, it's by Bobby Troup, I would give you a picture or site from where it came from, but Idk the exact site, so yeah. I just need some help/where to go, and YES i have search barred it, and all is ****.

PLEASE help, auditions are wednesday next week.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
2008 Ibanez AEG20E A/E Cutaway
2011 Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro
Amps:
Epiphone Valve Jr. Halfstack BitMo Trio Modded
60W All Tube Egnater Renegade Head and Cab.
well you gotta learn to read time signatures and keys, for one
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
well you gotta learn to read time signatures and keys, for one

I know key sigs, and this and such, it's just like, theres chord symbols over the regular notation, and idk whether I'm supposed to play the chords, or the notes?

It's BS, and I know my musical theory pretty decent. Lol.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
well if there are chords over the staff and no melody, play the chords. if youre supposed to play the chords then it should have time slashes in the measures
im in jazz band too
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
well if there are chords over the staff and no melody, play the chords. if youre supposed to play the chords then it should have time slashes in the measures
im in jazz band too

Dude, if i took a picture of it, could you help me out via hotmail/aim/yahoo, or whatever?

I'd SOO appreciate it!
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
I think the chord notation is just to state that there is a key change. Thats what makes jazz complex, there will be many key changes within one song.

You can continue with the original scale; however, using the one that pops up is perfectly fine as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
sure
guitaraddict1992@live.com

ill get to ya tomorrow since i gotta get off
just get all the melodies down for now and learn all the chord changes with the jazz voicings included
Quote by lolmnt
hmm, well i'll post pictures, because i have NO idea how to play it, and I don't want to try until i know exactly what i'm doing
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
Quote by MESAexplorer
I think the chord notation is just to state that there is a key change. Thats what makes jazz complex, there will be many key changes within one song.

You can continue with the original scale; however, using the one that pops up is perfectly fine as well.

thats only if there is not melody/lead in the staff
otherwise there will be time slashes, which will still have the "flags" for eight, sixteenth etc.
Quote by lolmnt
well, it's like regular notes, but with chord symbols above them, it might mean the notes are in that chord, but again, idk.
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps:
well the chords above could be the implied melody, where it was derived from, or what a rythum player would play
so there just take your pick
i personnaly hate chords so i would do the melody :p
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by evortre
I know key sigs, and this and such, it's just like, theres chord symbols over the regular notation, and idk whether I'm supposed to play the chords, or the notes?

It's BS, and I know my musical theory pretty decent. Lol.

I think wat u mean is the chords your fingers should be in to play the notes.

For example:

If it shows a "D" and a couple of notes underneath that, that means that you put your fingers in the "D" position as if you were going to play the chord, however you just play the notes that are written. It kinda makes it easier to remember the song and play the notes that way.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
Last edited by schecter1971 at Jan 10, 2009,
Yeah Good luck on the auditions, I was going to play for the jazz and marching band but after I played the peices perfectly and the kid couldnt find a simple e minor 7th chord needless to say he failed. However his dad donated 2k to the schools band program and then the band director kicked me out of the spot and that kid took over and the band director made me look like a trouble maker because my parent pissed him off. So I pretty much destroyed his band program by sabotaging his competitions =) anyway sorry about that bad memorys on that I had to write it maybe you could send the pic of the music to blackice11987@gmail.com and I could probably help you out on it.
Thanks blackice, i'll send you an add
EQUIPMENT:
Guitars:
2003 Fender MIM Strat
Amps: