I've got a list of all the tube amps i can find that i think are in my price range.

Peavey Valveking
Traynor YCV series. Around 15-30 watts
Laney LC30
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Delta Blues
Crate V series combo
Fender HRD

It needs to be heard over a drummer
It has to be to take pedals well
Lots of headroom, My over driven tones will come from my CrunchBox pedal or a boost.

At the moment my main concern is volume. Can it be heard over a drummer, and if so will it still sound clean enough?
Last edited by Final !mpact at Jan 10, 2009,
If you're going for clean headroom I'd look at a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Blues Deluxe. Blues Jr will NOT get loud enough clean and the Peavey breaks up very quickly.
when did blackheart make 30watt combos?i knew the made a 15/7watt.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Quote by gnaraaron
when did blackheart make 30watt combos?i knew the made a 15/7watt.

They don't. The next biggest amp from the 15/7w Handsome Devil is the....

100w Hot Head

Holy.....frikin'......crap........

If I ever need a cheapish high-watt amp, the Hot Head will DEFINATELY be on my list.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Natrone
They don't. The next biggest amp from the 15/7w Handsome Devil is the....

100w Hot Head

Holy.....frikin'......crap........

If I ever need a cheapish high-watt amp, the Hot Head will DEFINATELY be on my list.

Huh. I thought they made a 30 watt one. The hothead is on my list for possible;e future amps.

Quote by forsaknazrael
Loud. His point was that the HRD has tons of clean headroom - which it does.

Awesome I'll look into it.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah, +1 to the HRD 40 wattr if you want over drums and cleans.

what stuff are you playing BTW?

All sorts of stuff. I really need a good clean tone, a good overdriven tone and a high gain lead tone. The MI Audio can get the lead tone and I'm thinking a tube screamer for the overdriven rhythm tone.

Time to apply for a few jobs and pawn my bass guitar.
For Laney I'd run the VC30 before the LC30 as I think it would meet your needs better. Having said that, if you want great cleans the Fenders are always good and I've heard good things about the Hot Rod Deluxe.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Def go play the amp. It's loud.

Like I've said - I love it for what it is. What is the heaviest thing you think you would ever play on it?

Also, what do these amp run you down there now $$

The heaviest? Metallica i suppose. I plan on picking up a ProCo rat or a Metall Muff for that though.

In Australia it would probably cost over a grand. I'm going to see if I can find one used. If not I'll have to sell my current amp and my old bass to be able to pay for it.

EDIT: The its about $1500 brand new.
Last edited by Final !mpact at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by Final !mpact
I've got a list of all the tube amps i can find that i think are in my price range.

Peavey Valveking
Traynor YCV series. Around 15-30 watts
Laney LC30
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Delta Blues
Crate V series combo
Fender HRD

It needs to be heard over a drummer
It has to be to take pedals well
Lots of headroom, My over driven tones will come from my CrunchBox pedal or a boost.

At the moment my main concern is volume. Can it be heard over a drummer, and if so will it still sound clean enough?

Most of the amps on your list are 15-30 watts, with a drummer 15 watts is a big no-no and 30 is cutting it close depending on the amp and drummer, I'd go with a 50 or 60.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by Final !mpact
Will it be loud enough though?

It can get very loud while staying clean in 30w mode and if you want a bit of saturation you can switch to 15w mode and drive the tubes a bit more.

Obviously you'd want to test yourself, I had no idea how heavy/loud your drummer is but I'd be shocked if you couldn't get over and still get a nice clean tone.

Track one down, and see for yourself, it's the only way to be sure.
Quote by VanTheKraut
Most of the amps on your list are 15-30 watts, with a drummer 15 watts is a big no-no and 30 is cutting it close depending on the amp and drummer, I'd go with a 50 or 60.

You can get over a drummer with a 15 watt tube amp.

And my 40 watt amp does fine at getting over a drummer. I never turn it past 3-4. It's not like 50 watts is significantly louder than 30.
Re. 30 watt valve amps, I play in a pretty loud post punk/modern indie band with a awesome drummer, lots of loud shows around Brighton (UK), clubs, pubs etc. My Laney VC30112 easily stands up against the drummer. I play with effects, particularly ZVex Fuzz Factory, and only use the clean channel. It has such a rich, bold sound for a small, affordable amp. It's well documented that the speaker lets the distorted channel down, although from your comments you're looking for a portable amp with a good fundamental tone you can apply effects boxes to. Check out the VC30. I'm really impressed with mine. Of course, you can always save up and pop a pro-spec speaker in and upgrade to higher gain tubes at a later date. The architecture of the thing is sound.