I currently have a Jay Turser JT-220 and a Kustom Dart 66
I haven't been playing that long, but I am getting unhappy with both because the guitar is kinda crappy and the frets getting worn as well as the knobs. It is a Les Paul knockoff I got at the price of like $200.
The Kustom amp is very harsh sounding and I can't seem to get any of the tones I want to get out of it. The overdrive sound is very synthetic and SS sounding. I got that for $50 online altho my music store was selling it for $100. Unfortunately when I crap it up past 4 or 5 it starts to squeal a very high pitched feedback noise.
I want to get a better sound out of my equipment so what should I upgrade first?
I have about $400 to spare and I like blues rock with those sweet overdriven fender tweed sounds, but I also like creamy overdrive sounds like Santana and his super expensive rig.
What should I do?
Amp first
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
If you find it hard/annoying to play with the guitar, then get a new guitar. If you can deal with it, then get a new amp.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
Tube or SS for amp?
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
probably a hybrid.
Fender Super Champ XD or Vox VT30
or Roland Cube 30x which is SS
the guitar feels okay, not the greatest guitar but playable. The knobs are all screwed, but I'm more concerned about getting a nice sound. The knobs are coming off the pots but it still works without them so no biggy.
Hybrid amps really are more of just a marketing scam. If you want tube sound, you need a tube amp. I would check out Blackhearts. I just ordered one and I've never heard anything bad about them.

The only thing you might have to do is change out the tubes for smoother sounding ones.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
That's a tough one. Tursers aren't exactly the most playable things ever (had one as my first guitar, night and day between my second guitar, a Gibson) but the amp is pretty suck as well. Honestly, I'd just save up and do it all in one fell swoop, get like $900 together and get yourself a nice Epiphone or Mexi Fender and a Peavey Valveking and be in tone heaven compared to where you are now.

If you had to upgrade right now, personally, I'd choose the guitar, because I'd rather have a playable instrument than a powerful amp, especially if you're not playing out anywhere. I'm sure others will tell you the exact opposite though.
Check this vid out... it the Vox ad50vt. I recommended it to my brother and he loves it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXY4936cOp0
and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTAz-uUPyqI

In the meantime you tried using the neck pickup and rolling back the tone control a bit to smooth it out? Perhaps bridge pickup with mids turned up higher than the bass and treble.

You could also try adjusting your pickup heights to get closer to a sound you like. Maybe lower them a little and see how you like the effect.
Last edited by TubeAmpGuy at Jan 10, 2009,
yeah im probably not going to get a full tube because I don't want to wait for the tubes to get warmed up before every time I play.
also with the hybrid amp I can get different voicings.
I've heard very good things about the Super Champ XD
and the VT30 isn't bad either, just not as tubey sounding as the SCXD
warming up the tubes only takes like a minute. basically what i do is flip the power, then get my guitar out, put the strap on/take a seat, plug it in, and by the time im ready to play its done warming up.
Quote by SolKanar77
yeah im probably not going to get a full tube because I don't want to wait for the tubes to get warmed up before every time I play.
also with the hybrid amp I can get different voicings.
I've heard very good things about the Super Champ XD
and the VT30 isn't bad either, just not as tubey sounding as the SCXD

I'd suggested, as mentioned, a smaller full tube amp. Warming the tubes takes all of 30 seconds, which can be you turning the amp on standby, grabbing your guitar and tuning, then switching the amp so it'll play.

I'm not bashing the VT30, it's a great amp. But, the break-up you need for blues and Santana-esque tones, is not going to be as pristine as it would as if it were on a full tube amp. I found the low-gain, break-up tones to be only okay on the VT15 when I tried it. Cleans were really good, though, much improved over the AD series.
the Fender Super Champ XD has two 6V6 tubes and a 12AX7 so it is powered by tubes. It also has two channels so you can play with all tube no voicings, but you can also play with the voicings and effects on the other channel