You guys ever feel you got kinda shafted at one of these. Well tonight, definitely, we felt like we got completely shafted. Ok. First of all, it was supposed to be held in the gym, but due to scheduling conflicts at the last minute they changed it to the auditorium. That completely screwed up the soundcheck we did on wednesday, and basically was a waste. We were booked to be the last band on, so we would be the last band to get a soundcheck before the show. But no, other bands decided to take their dear time, so we ended up not getting a soundcheck at all. Next of all, we got ranked on audience participation, but pretty much everyone who showed up, likes hardcore music, and not our type (classic rock/alt/post-grunge?). As a result, we got pretty low scores in that area. The judges liked us the best, but because the audience wasn't into our music, we lost.

tl;dr?
We had no soundcheck.
Audience don't like our type of music.

Share your experiences about Band Wars/Battle of the Bands.
dude.
i was just in the same situation at my school. a 15 second sound check and the sound guy working the PA didnt have my vocalist come through at all. it dosent even sound like hes singing in the recording of it.
(signature removed, please choose another)
It was a one on one battle of the bands gig and won. It was pretty tough to considering the other band was a wanna be Linkin Park and everyone at my school listens to either rap or Linkin Park. But we actually had talent so we won. We spent the next few days being booed everywhere we went.
Eternity isn't long
If all you so is sleep
And forever is just a little while
If all you do is dream.

All Alone is All we Are
I'm not dissing any type of music, I'm just saying that it feels like we got shafted because they should have rated us on stage presence rather than audience participation. And we didn't know we had to play in the auditorium until 5:30, and the show started at 7. That gave each band roughly 15 minutes to set up and run a 15 minute set.
Quote by Plaxico1717
I'm not dissing any type of music, I'm just saying that it feels like we got shafted because they should have rated us on stage presence rather than audience participation. And we didn't know we had to play in the auditorium until 5:30, and the show started at 7. That gave each band roughly 15 minutes to set up and run a 15 minute set.

Most local punk acts spend more time on their hair and appearance than what they put into playing their instruments and practice.
Doowop dooby doo doowop doowah doolang
Blue days black nights doowah doolang!
Quote by MustangMan311
Haha, quit whining. My band is about to be in the exact same situation; you knew it would happen. Don't act like rock is any better than any other style of music.

hes not saying that, hes saying that its was difficult to get fans of other genres to immediately warm to a different genre and 'get into' their performance.

to TS, unlucky, at least the judges like you best
the one our band played in november:

no judges, you put your ticket in a cup for each band.

and here's the most backward part: you could buy extra votes at the concession stand. eventually it works out to the winner having the most support but it's messed up. i think everyone had some of that going for them, and we ended up 3rd of 6 which isn't too bad considering many of the other bands are more experienced(it was our first show other than small parties)

the important part though was we had tons of fun and played really well. i nailed all my solos and everything(not a feat since they're largely improvised to begin with, haha)

but yeah. poor drum and bass duo got last, then a band that has music on itunes and like 50k myspace friends, then there was a band that i really liked but they weren't too hardcore really and that's what a lot of the closed-minded people around liked, and then us(rock/metal/some screaming, a few clean parts, dunno), and then there was a classic rock group somehow in second despite the largely hardcore tastes of the audience, then a hardcore band that really is amazing, they deserved it.

as if you all care about those details.

and the other bands mostly didn't get soundcheck, only us and the first band that played cause there was two stages set up and we showed up early. that was unfair to them.

oh well. go listen to us if you'd like!
purevolume.com/wakeatsunset
we'd appreciate comments and return them!
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
I run my schools Battle of the Bands and it always goes of without a problem. We have two sound checks a week before the show and leave all the equipment up. We have a massive soundsystem and awesome lighting.

Additionally, our school has bands from EVERY style of music so people don't come for one type.

In fact this year's is gonna have a thrash band, a folk band, a blues soloist, an alternative group, a rapper, a techno DJ, a hardcore band, a prog/post rock group, a solo guitar singer songwriter and more.