hey i recently got a new epiphone sg bass and its really kewl but i couldnt afford an amp.... just wondering what would happen if i ran it through my guitar amp.... will it break or will it just not be perfect... which i can live with....
If you have a really powerful amp, it might be able to handle it at low volumes (My old bass player used a 50watt Marshall JCM800 for his bass and it was fine)
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
i run my bass through a cheap fender frontman 10g.
i just keep the volume low and it does fine. little crackly if i play louder and the tone isn't great, but it gets me by.
It's going to damage the speakers no matter what. Low volumes will just make it happen slower.

An on behalf of the bass forum, I would recommend returning your bass and getting something non-epiphone if at all possible. They might look cool, but they are just a guitar with a longer neck. They generally sound and play poorly. A squire is a far safer bet in the same price range.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
nothing will happen but remember! it is not a bass amp go buy a behringer that's a good and cheap bass amp.

although a guitar amp. would be a good temporary solution but it's not perfect and especially not when you play your new bass and would like to hear the real sound of it
^Bass guitars always have longer necks...
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Even the short scale bass is a good 5" longer than most guitars. And part of the problem with that particular model is that it is short scale, which generally makes the lowers strings really flabby (strings are looser). The bass also suffers from horrendous neck dive, and the pickups are incredibly muddy sounding, which is made worse by one model having a single pickup right at the neck, which is incredibly muddy sounding.

Even if that muddy tone is for you, as soon as you play with others, you'll disappear into the mix unless you completely overpower them.

Don't get a behringer amp. They have serious quality control issues.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I wouldn't get one of those either. They pretty much define ok. You can do much better your your money.

The bass forum FAQ has a list of "approved" cheap amps.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1