Page 1 of 2
Ok, so I have an old Randall 100w head thats pushing through a 4x12 Peavey cab loaded with Celestions. When I get back from Iraq, I want to buy a real nice rig for gigs. I've been looking at Kranks. I play mostly punk and metal. The one I'm looking at for the $1500 price range is the Krank Rev SST 200 watt Hybrid with the SST 4x12 cab. Any thoughts?
Get a used Krank tube. They have terrible resale value, you can pick up a Rev 1 on CL for much less than it's worth.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
For $1500, you can get some good used amps.

Some guy offered me his Krank Krankenstein for $800, and a Revolution for $1000 I think, if you want to go the Krank route.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
I wouldn't buy a Krank, I think Kranks sound like ****. Sorry, but I think their tone is horrible and cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would pay the money for one. Maybe it's because I don't like metal but even though I don't like metal, I recognize why some people would like Engls or Mesa Boogies, however, I simply cannot understand Krank at all. I've played a Krank once in my life time and got nothing but shrill, harsh fizziness coming out of it. And the best part was, the store employee came up to me and said... "sounds great doesn't it?" I wanted to throw up.
I've heard some of the non-plus model Krankensteins being described as that, but Erock's Krankstein+ clip sounds pretty sweet.

I do see why some people don't like Krank that much. I'm not that big of a fan either.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Hmmm. I'm not going for a whole spectrum of sounds. I'm all about punk and the more crunch and distortion I get the better. But I do want a solid amp that is going to last me for a long time.
I think for the price of that Krank there are amps that not only sound better for heavy stuff, but are more versatile as well.

I personally hate Mesa Boogies and cannot believe I'm about to suggest one, but a lot of people like the Recto-verb 50 watt 1x12 combo. You might want to take a look, enough power for most gigs, more convenient than a half stack, and you wouldn't be throwing away money on extra wattage that you don't need. 200 watts is excessive. For any purpose.
Quote by al112987
I think for the price of that Krank there are amps that not only sound better for heavy stuff, but are more versatile as well.

I personally hate Mesa Boogies and cannot believe I'm about to suggest one, but a lot of people like the Recto-verb 50 watt 1x12 combo. You might want to take a look, enough power for most gigs, more convenient than a half stack, and you wouldn't be throwing away money on extra wattage that you don't need. 200 watts is excessive. For any purpose.

Nah, more power is what I like. My band likes to play loud. The Recto-verb doesn't have the power I'm looking for, and I hate one speaker amps. I like to be able to hear my guitar not only thru monitors but behind me as well.

I don't have a problem hauling around a half stack because I have the means to do so. But the question is, with the Krank be able to take road abuse?
Then you might want to look at a used Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 combo which is 100 watts I believe. Even for those who insist on having a lot of power, 100 watts should be more than enough, at the type of volumes you're talking about the 3dB difference between 100 watts and 200 watts is basically indistinguishable to human ears.
Quote by al112987
Then you might want to look at a used Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 combo which is 100 watts I believe. Even for those who insist on having a lot of power, 100 watts should be more than enough, at the type of volumes you're talking about the 3dB difference between 100 watts and 200 watts is basically indistinguishable to human ears.

I'm not really in favor for combo amps. A nice half stack rig would be great. I was checking out the Bugera tube half stack. Any thoughts on that one?
If your going to buy a Krank get an all tube version.
The Rev+ would be perfect!
Its got a killer tone for modern metal. As I Lay Dying and God Forbid's latest albums were recorded with them so check those out for a bit of a demo .
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Bugeras have serious reliability issues and pretty significant design flaws. They sound ok, but what good is good tone if the amp is undependable? Good tone, but cheap parts, crappy build. I'd never gig with one, much less take on one the road. For the budget you have you might as well go for a used Peavey 5150 or Triple XXX (the amps that Bugera ripped off of), and a used Mesa 4x12.
Quote by al112987

So you think Mesa/Boogie would be better? I don't want a combo amp. If the amp goes it won't be as much of a pain in the ass to replace/fix it. With the stack I can swap with my other head if I need to.
I think I'm settled between 3 choices:

1. The Krank Rev SST
2. Peavey Windsor Tube Amp (Good Reviews on it)
3. B-52 AT 100

I just saw the B-52 on Musicians Friend and folks were talking highly of it. If I got numbers 2 and 3, I would be able to get that Epi Zakk Wylde I've been wanting for long time :P
Last edited by MommasHooligan at Jan 10, 2009,
If you've got $1500, disregard the Windsor and Bugera tbh.

Seriously, why are you so against combos? They can be loud as fuck and although they may not make your e-penis grow a foot, it opens up a whole lot more options for you ...
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by MommasHooligan

1. The Krank Rev SST
3. B-52 AT 100

I just saw the B-52 on Musicians Friend and folks were talking highly of it. If I got numbers 2 and 3, I would be able to get that Epi Zakk Wylde I've been wanting for long time :P

BUY THE ALL TUBE VERSION!
I've seen all tube rev's over at HC forums for about $800 before. It would be a far better option. It would be louder, will sound far better and have a better re sell value.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by MommasHooligan

1. The Krank Rev SST
3. B-52 AT 100

Don't take musician's friend reviews or harmony central reviews seriously, because they're almost ALL positive, for just about every amp.

A combo is the exact same thing as a head, only in one cabinet, you're the first person I've come across who would rather have a Peavey Winsdor or B-52 halfstack than a Mesa Tremoverb. It's especially ironic because the B-52, Bugera and Winsdor cabs all suck. What matters more, looking cool or sounding good?

Besides if you decide that absolutely need a halfstack later, then just hook the Mesa up to a 4x12.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
wow Mommas you are all over board.

focus. OK. Punk? What else?

There's nothing else. I just want a solid half stack tube amp. One thats going to last a very long time and is going to sound great. I have a Randall half stack, I like it but its solid state. I don't want Mesa/Boogie because they are way too expensive and I don't want combo amps. I don't know why Krank, Marshall or Peavey get a bad rap because if you look across the spectrum of music, those are usually the amps guitarists play on.

Mesa/Boogie are mainly for the guitar virtuoso and those who are looking for a huge range of sound. I'm going to pick one out of the 3 I've selected, so opinions on which one I should get would be great!
Dude, I can't stress enough what people have been saying here about combos being a great option for you. Maybe a situation will assist in your understanding. I gigged with a bunch of bands recently, most had Marshall half-stakcs and there was my little Rockerverb 50 combo sitting there in its orange frame. I don't think you have to guess who was not only the loudest, but the most defined tonally.

Regardless, if you have $1500 and need some versatility, I'd be looking at used ENGL's, been playing a fair few recently, and they are very good amps, but even something like a Mesa Rectoverb Combo (as much as I agree with al112987 about Mesa, they sound good, I just hate the sound when I'm plahing one) will work. If I get noise complaints from my Rockerverb, you don't need a 100w tube halfstack.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
Dude, I can't stress enough what people have been saying here about combos being a great option for you. Maybe a situation will assist in your understanding. I gigged with a bunch of bands recently, most had Marshall half-stakcs and there was my little Rockerverb 50 combo sitting there in its orange frame. I don't think you have to guess who was not only the loudest, but the most defined tonally.

Regardless, if you have $1500 and need some versatility, I'd be looking at used ENGL's, been playing a fair few recently, and they are very good amps, but even something like a Mesa Rectoverb Combo (as much as I agree with al112987 about Mesa, they sound good, I just hate the sound when I'm plahing one) will work. If I get noise complaints from my Rockerverb, you don't need a 100w tube halfstack.

Dually noted. But I don't need a wide range of sound. I just need the tube crunch. I've checked out alot of videos on the 3 and they sound great.
Quote by MommasHooligan
Nah, more power is what I like. My band likes to play loud. The Recto-verb doesn't have the power I'm looking for, and I hate one speaker amps. I like to be able to hear my guitar not only thru monitors but behind me as well.

I don't have a problem hauling around a half stack because I have the means to do so. But the question is, with the Krank be able to take road abuse?

the all tube Kranks are solid touring amps man, a lot of bands use/have used them on tour. They are built with high quality parts if you look inside one, and they are one of very few amp makers to offer a lifetime warranty in the pricerange. You don't have to worry about them taking road abuse, that's what they're designed and built for. I haven't looked at the guts of an SST however.

They have a unique voicing you either love or hate, there isn't much in between. They are also harder to dial in than they look. The EQ needs to be adjusted around where you set the sweep control, as it's probably the most powerful control on the amp. That control can make the amp sound like ass if it's dialed wrong with the EQ. If you know what you're doing however, you can make the amps sound pretty badass IMO.

Like mentioned, go used, their resale is pretty poor. For $1500, you should be able to score one of their all tube heads and a good cab pretty easiliy.

If a lot of gain and a big tight lowend is what you are looking for in a metal tone, I don't dig the combos as much either. A lot of them are open back, which really affects the lowend response. 2x12 tube combos are usually heavy as hell too, I'd rather carry a head and seperate 2x12. Personally, I like the lowend response and power handling of a 4x12, the thump you get out of a 4x12 just isn't going to happen with a 1x12 combo.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
find a used Krankenstein or 6505 or JCM800(that'll be harder to find)
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Kranks have a very specific sound and are very good at that sound. The biggest issue with them is reliability and build quality. You will rarely ever see an actual Krank amp go on tour because they break easily. If it's going to stay in a studio it's a great amp but otherwise look elsewhere. I would consider a Mesa Boogie, Peavey, Splawn or Mako. Look at them all used. They are all built like tanks and sound great.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by RHCPfan01
Kranks have a very specific sound and are very good at that sound. The biggest issue with them is reliability and build quality. You will rarely ever see an actual Krank amp go on tour because they break easily. If it's going to stay in a studio it's a great amp but otherwise look elsewhere. I would consider a Mesa Boogie, Peavey, Splawn or Mako. Look at them all used. They are all built like tanks and sound great.

that is false, you've obviously never owned one or looked inside one. I own/have owned every amp you've mentioned, and the Krank is very close in build quality to all of them, and far exceeds that of the Peavey. The Splawn and Mako are hand wired boutique amps, and their quality is the highest. The Krank IMO would hang with the Mesa as far as build quality and parts used, although Krank offers a lifetime warranty as opposed to Mesa's 5 year.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Forget the crank....

Watch out for an used Mesa Boogie Dual or Triple Rectifier half stack. I don't like combos either and I love having 4x12's.

You'll have the best metal amp there is, and can do a couple of other sounds that you may not care about now, but years later your tastes could shift a little. YOu'll have an amp that will likely not loose any value, and most likely gain some value.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
i agree with either the recto or the 6105/5105. Both used of course.

$1500 will take you a long way used

Definitely don't buy bugera or b-52 because they are the opposite of solid and reliable. If your budget was about 800 less than what you have now i would recommend bugera or b-52 but with $1500 you are looking at some really nice amps
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
Last edited by DaddyBarbs at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I wouldn't buy a Krank, I think Kranks sound like ****. Sorry, but I think their tone is horrible and cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would pay the money for one. Maybe it's because I don't like metal but even though I don't like metal, I recognize why some people would like Engls or Mesa Boogies, however, I simply cannot understand Krank at all. I've played a Krank once in my life time and got nothing but shrill, harsh fizziness coming out of it. And the best part was, the store employee came up to me and said... "sounds great doesn't it?" I wanted to throw up.

maybe because some people can can better tone out of it, and have different opinions. sorry to sound stupid, but i tried one out yesterday, a used revolution for 1 grand on top of a marshall 4x12, and it went way past my expectations that i had gotten from people like you. it had a very marshall kind of sound, that was a tad bright, and the bass was tight and heavy, and i could get both a good scooped sound, or a good midrangey sound. also, my gain was only at 5, and it was already quite br00t4l.

to the TS, i say look used for some all-tube heads like the rev series 1 head i just mentioned, or a 6505+, or a rectifier (i wouldnt reccomend it, especially for lower volumes, but they certainly are popular for metal and punk)

EDIT: a peavey XXX new is something that would be pretty much perfect for you, a very overlooked head
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 11, 2009,
Maan, ive noticed that most of the guys i see with HUGE setups in their houses are with the military. I bet they pay alot
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
maybe because some people can can better tone out of it, and have different opinions. sorry to sound stupid, but i tried one out yesterday, a used revolution for 1 grand on top of a marshall 4x12, and it went way past my expectations that i had gotten from people like you. it had a very marshall kind of sound, that was a tad bright, and the bass was tight and heavy, and i could get both a good scooped sound, or a good midrangey sound. also, my gain was only at 5, and it was already quite br00t4l.
+1. I had the same experience with a Revolution One I played. I thought it sounded really good. I would buy a used one if one popped up in my area for a decent price. With these amps, it's all in the eqing and being sure you're not over doing it with the gain. Half to 3/4's worth is enough.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by MommasHooligan
So a Krank it is. I appreciate the advice!

you've got a lot of amps to check out man, people are just pointing out that they aren't crap amps as some would have you believe. The amps can sound great with the right player at the controls. Build quality is something that can be quantified, your preference in tone however is something you're going to have to figure out on your own. Need to play them first if it all possible, and you have some good suggestions in the thread.
amp clips
amp vids
+1

No one said Krank all the way! People were just trying to keep an honest fair balance. I get the feeling like you might be buying off the Internet is that true? What kind of punk rock? What is your closest major city and have you check local craigslists? Never played a Krank. Good luck.
Quote by MommasHooligan
There's nothing else. I just want a solid half stack tube amp. One thats going to last a very long time and is going to sound great. I have a Randall half stack, I like it but its solid state. I don't want Mesa/Boogie because they are way too expensive and I don't want combo amps. I don't know why Krank, Marshall or Peavey get a bad rap because if you look across the spectrum of music, those are usually the amps guitarists play on.

Mesa/Boogie are mainly for the guitar virtuoso and those who are looking for a huge range of sound. I'm going to pick one out of the 3 I've selected, so opinions on which one I should get would be great!

Marshall does not get a bad rep at all, I honestly don't see how you think Mesa Boogies are for virtuosos and those who like versatility when Marshalls are equally versatile and just as many virtuosos use Marshalls. I honestly don't see why versatility is a bad thing if it's doing the sound you want. And Krank is one of the three major musicians play on through the spectrum of music? Are you kidding me? Who uses a Krank amp? More metal and punk bands use Mesa/Boogies.

The Krank SST is solid state too. A tube preamp section doesn't make an amp a tube amp. You don't get the harmonic complexity or 3 dimensional sound that you get from pushing an all tube circuit, all you're getting is a slightly warmer, and slightly less buzzy preamp distortion. The more preamp gain you're adding, the more similar a tube amp sounds like a solid state amp.

Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

to the TS, i say look used for some all-tube heads like the rev series 1 head i just mentioned, or a 6505+, or a rectifier (i wouldnt reccomend it, especially for lower volumes, but they certainly are popular for metal and punk)

EDIT: a peavey XXX new is something that would be pretty much perfect for you, a very overlooked head

I don't know what kind of Marshall's you've been playing but a Krank sounds nothing like a Marshall.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by al112987
I don't know what kind of Marshall's you've been playing but a Krank sounds nothing like a Marshall.

actually, if you dial them in right, they have a very prominent aggressive midrange snarl. It probably sounds like a chainsaw compared to the music you like however, lol. Oddly enough, Tony got his start and earned his reputation modding Marshalls. His first amp, the Chadwick, was actually based heavily on a marshall design. The Rev and Krankenstein both evolved from the Chadwick design, so it does have some roots there believe it or not.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Jan 11, 2009,
Get a Mesa Boogie Mark IV, i got mine used for a grand.

Or maybe a Used Engl?
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

No one said Krank all the way! People were just trying to keep an honest fair balance. I get the feeling like you might be buying off the Internet is that true? What kind of punk rock? What is your closest major city and have you check local craigslists? Never played a Krank. Good luck.

Hell, Oklahoma city is the closest Guitar Center. Not a whole lot of GOOD music stores around. I will check a bunch out when I get back stateside. My buddy just got back and picked up a Bugera 333XL and said he loves it. Might check that one out too.

But as far as punk, I really want to develop my own sound. I love the low end with tons of crunch. I don't play lead. I just have a good time just shredding a nice rhythm.
Page 1 of 2