Right,

Been skimping over amps far too long, need to actually break it down to some options.

Got a £400-500 budget and not much over. Still got my car to fix so no saving up more.

I've tried the amps that I could from the list but nonetheless I do want some opinions from you chaps as not all the ones are here in stores to play (have to order the apparently).

Got a Fender Strat US, as a prezzy, so need something to damn well make use of the price it prob cost. I ain't gonna be gigging anytime soon, might in a few years, just want something for home use, Tube amp of course.

Am gonna be mostly playing rock, retro rock back from the 80's. to some modern alternative rock stuff. Trying to learn some classic slow songs, bit of carlos santa and some blues solo's (epic failing though, I'll get there). So am looking for excellent cleans and excellent crunchy tones sometimes high gains/overdrives, I ain't into the hardcore heavy metal overdrive til ears bleed tones though.

As with anyone I just want a amp I wouldn't need to be changing a year or so down the line, a amp that has that perfect balance (or near :P).

Fender HRD (Hot Rod Deluxe) - Yes I hear the OD's terrible, but thinking I can fix it up with some FX's/pedals, volume wise was gonna invest in a $15 Omnisonic Volume controller box. Extra gadgets ain't gonna be a prob as long as I can gain that perfect clean and crunchy/rocky tone, like i said I want the best of both worlds, and I hear the HRD's are absolutely mint with their clean tones.

Vox AC15 - Don't know much about this other than it's bigger brother AC30 is highly praised around these forums, but I cant afford that so it's only this model i can go for. OD's and cleans any good on this model?

Peavey Classic 30 - I hear both cleans and crunchy's/OD's are pretty good, they excellent or the above better?

Traynor YCV20 - Again heard the bigger brother YCV40 is absolutely ace, however budget says a big no no (Tried looking for used no luck). This any good compared to the above?

Laney VC30 - Been hearing about them around, don;t know much about them except they fit my price range

So come on people, I'm looking for some of your opinions and experience with these amps, on what would (from that little description of course) suit my aims/needs of a amp best out of these tubies, because my ears and guitar skills are still newbie.
Last edited by SirFestus at Jan 10, 2009,
go the classic 30 sounds like everything you need or try a valve king, dont go the fender terrible OD and even with pedals meh. traynor is also fantastic. ac 15 is great but overpriced for what it is.
GEAR:
PRS CU22 10 top with #10
Gibson lp studio (fireburst)
MIA 06' fender strat sss

Orange rockerverb 50 c

morley rotating speaker '62
" pro wah
mxr flanger '73
line 6 dl4 x2, fm4, dm4
mi audio tube zone
love pedal karl fuzz
I've got the Fender HRD and honestly, I think the overdrive is fine as long as you aren't looking to play anything heavy.
It is a bit weak.
but it sounds just fine for some light overdriving.
Blackheart Handsome Devil anyone? I saw a video on YouTube of a faceoff between an HRD, Crate V-18, and Blackheart Handsome Devil. HD destroyed the HRD IMO

Now then, where are these peanuts you promised?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
+1 to the Classic 30. Classic Rock + Classic 30 =
____________My Gear:___________

Bad SX starter kit Guitar
Cube 30W(Finally!! )

Cort X-11 Fund $65/$250
Bugera 333xl 212 Fund $0/$880

Finally got myspace, go check it out ---> www.myspace.com/ianbearmusic
The Laney VC30 is well worth a look. It has a great tone for the money and takes pedals really well. At the 'budget' end of the valve amp market it's one of the best.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
by 80s retro rock do you mean hair metal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love my AC15, but you really have to look at it as it's own amp, not just the little brother to the AC30.

It's got wonderful cleans, and the OD is very nice British crunch. For some more gain though you'll need an OD/boost. I recommend you go test one out.