Page 1 of 2
So I'm looking for a new hobby, and I'm thinking maybe the electric guitar will hold my interest fairly well. I listen to metal exclusively almost, so I will want a guitar that is good for that kind of music.

I am also very interested in hooking it up to my PC, and recording music etc. onto my computer. I am also assuming that this will save a bit of money with pedals as I can replicate the effects from the PC. I am assuming this will require extra hardware, software etc. Not sure what exactly though.

Budget is .. well... I don't know. It always increases anyways, doesn't it? Let's say $400 or thereabouts for the guitar and amp, hopefully cabling etc as well. Don't mind spending a little more, but not too much more.... Not sure if I'll be "into it" enough to warrant.

So far I've been to Billy Hyde and fiddled around with an Ibanez RG for a while, it seemed quite nice, though fairly pricey at $399. There's also some really cheap starter kits that look a little seedy - Legacy was the brand I think.
i wouldnt focus on recording right away, guitar isnt the kind of hobbie you pick up in a matter of days.

what wantzchas said.
Quote by GoWithTheFlow
i wouldnt focus on recording right away, guitar isnt the kind of hobbie you pick up in a matter of days.

what wantzchas said.

Agreed guitar is a lengthy commitment if you want to be any good at it. Play because you like to not because you can make money off it.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Agreed guitar is a lengthy commitment if you want to be any good at it. Play because you like to not because you can make money off it.

+1. Playing guitar should be a hobbie, something you do when your bored or just something you do to entertain not only yourself but others (family/good friends, not going into school and playing randomly to get chicks) we all have different reasons for playing guitar, some pure some not so pure. Most of us think: If I get famous for playing guitar, that's just money for doing what I love, and that's alright with me.
if you have the dough you can start recording right away. an m-audio interface costs $99 these days. you'll need a mic though to capture the sound because direct input into the computer will just make your guitar sound really dry. if you take this seriously, an SM-57 made by Shure will do the job; it's an industry standard (around $100, shop for used if you can).

for a guitar, go to a local music store, preferably a small shop where you will get better service than guitar center, and they will help you pick up a 200-300 dollar guitar with a nice feel to it, and a 99-199 dollar amp.

stay away from starter packs as those are aimed at little kids. it's a waste of money, because you will need an upgrade in 2-3 months.

i suggest ibanez or washburn, both of which make decent starter instruments. stay away from locking nuts and whammy bar bridge tremolos. also, contrary to most people on here opinion, squier makes excellent beginner guitars.
for an amp, anything made by peavey or crate will do; make sure you get something with a large speaker if you're playing metal (at least 10", preferable 12"). i recommend hughes and kettner 12 inch amp; it's actually what i use now, i paid less than $200 for it, and i've been playing for over 7 years now, and it's adequate for practice.
It's all about feel
Unfortunately for a budget of AU$400 you're well and truly stuck in the cheap and seedy neck of the woods as far as getting an guitar set up.

Consider that you need to get an amp as well and you're options are severely limited.

At minimum you're looking at about $180 for an amp (Roland Micro Cube) which leave $220 for a guitar and you're not going to get a even half way decent guitar for that much.

So yeah, if you're stuck at a $400 budget you're best option is the Legacy LP Value Pack but with that tiny 10watt amp I'm not sure how 'metal' it's going to be
Quote by SGlover69
+1. Playing guitar should be a hobbie, something you do when your bored or just something you do to entertain not only yourself but others (family/good friends, not going into school and playing randomly to get chicks) we all have different reasons for playing guitar, some pure some not so pure. Most of us think: If I get famous for playing guitar, that's just money for doing what I love, and that's alright with me.

Completley agree here dude. It goes like this for me if I make money at it thats great but If I only make like $50 playing weekends at local bars It doesnt matter because I still get to do what I love every weekend. My first inkling that I wanted to play guitar came when I was about 4 or 5 and I used to always watch my dad's warrant laser disk and constantly asked my dad for a guitar. I finally got one when I was about 13 but I never took it seriously until I took a vacation to my uncles house who has played for 20 years or so and he taught me some things and I havent stopped since.

Whoops sorry kinda highjacked the thread
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Cause he mentioned being in Billy Hydes (Australian Music Store) and looking at Legacy guitars (Australian guitars)
Quote by Jaksar
Cause he mentioned being in Billy Hydes (Australian Music Store) and looking at Legacy guitars (Australian guitars)

oh jeez i thought Billy Hydes was some guitarist... i'm so stupid...

As for legacy guitars i just figured they were some no name brand...

(at myself)
Looking at Allans music.. I can get a Ibanez RG170DX and Roland 15X cube amp for $426.20

How about that?
Quote by Pac_man0123
oh jeez i thought Billy Hydes was some guitarist... i'm so stupid...

As for legacy guitars i just figured they were some no name brand...

(at myself)

Actually Billy Hyde was a Drummer so you were not that far off =)

Started as a Drum Store (Billy Hydes Drum Craft) and expanded from there.
Last edited by Jaksar at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by maxwolfie
Looking at Allans music.. I can get a Ibanez RG170DX and Roland 15X cube amp for $426.20

How about that?

^^^ This is a good option

Factor in an extra $20 - $200 for accessories ($20 for just a cable, $200 for cable, gig bag, tuner, picks, strap, stand)
Quote by Pac_man0123
If they RG has an Edge 3 trem don't get it. Get one without a tremolo bridge at that price.

No idea what that is! But here's the specs from the site:

For two decades, the RG has reigned as the unquestioned monarch of metal guitars. Why? Because the RG has the perfect combination of fast, flat necks, the right pickups and pickup placement, and precision trem systems to mete out creative destruction. And because the RG has evolved and expanded along with the metal genre it was designed for. Which is why the 2007 RG line offers a vast selection that dwarfs any thing else remotely comparable.

Specifications

* neck type GRG neck
* body Basswood body
* fret Medium frets
* bridge Fat 10 bridge
* neck pu STD-H1 (H) neck pu
* middle pu STD-S4 (S) mid pu
* bridge pu STD-H2 (H) bridge pu
Quote by maxwolfie

How about that?

8 inch speaker will make you sound like a radio. you want to sound like you're playing through a ****ing wall of speakers (you like metal, right?). roland is a bad choice.
try this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW15R-15W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481055

get the RG321 instead. 170dx isn't made with real wood (basswood is used for building cabinets, not music instruments; ever heard of IKEA?). RG321 has a mahogany body (same as a gibson SG, i'm sure you've heard of that guitar before)
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
8 inch speaker will make you sound like a radio. you want to sound like you're playing through a ****ing wall of speakers (you like metal, right?). roland is a bad choice.
try this http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW15R-15W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481055

get the RG321 instead. 170dx isn't made with real wood (basswood is used for building cabinets, not music instruments; ever heard of IKEA?). RG321 has a mahogany body (same as a gibson SG, i'm sure you've heard of that guitar before)

Dude my RG is Basswood and it sounds amazing. The new Satch sig I saw online is made of the same thing.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
oh, and remember: half of these people on these forums are just forum trolls and don't have enough experience themselves to teach you anything valuable. make sure to turn on your bull**** filter. look for things like excessive signatures and quotes of others in their profile
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul

Hey mate, cheers, I will look into the 12" speaker

As for the RG321, it's a bit expensive really. Any reason as to why I need mahogany over basswood?
Quote by hopespaul

You do realize that MOST of ibanez's guitars (especially RGs) are basswood, right? Hell, even Vai's JEM was made of basswood until a few years ago.

As for the mahogany body, it's almost guaranteed to be some asian relative of the mahogany that gibson uses, such as Nato or some-such. Close to the good stuff, but not quite the same.
Quote by Lethal Dosage

Dude my RG is Basswood and it sounds amazing. The new Satch sig I saw online is made of the same thing.

i agree with love what you have attitude, but a mahogany or alder body would make your guitar sound even better. fact.
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
i agree with love what you have attitude, but a mahogany or alder body would make your guitar sound even better. fact.

I do agree with you there BUT saying that basswood is crap is just a bunch of BS to me honestly doesnt Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert use basswood ibanez?
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by maxwolfie

How about that?

The cubes are fantastic little practice amps. I own a Cube 15 and still play on it every now and again, because it's so much fun. The cube also has a recording-out input where you can link it to your PC. For starters you will probably use something like Audacity, which is really good seeing it is free.

Don't buy a "cheap guitar" with a tremolo system as most cheap tremolos suck, buy something with a fixed bridge. You probably won't use the tremolo worthy until you've been playing for longer anyway.
Quote by maxwolfie
Hey mate, cheers, I will look into the 12" speaker

As for the RG321, it's a bit expensive really. Any reason as to why I need mahogany over basswood?

if you will ever consider playing through a quality tube amp, you will feel the difference. as others mentioned, don't stress over it, it's just one of those things that will make a subtle difference as you progress with your guitar skills.
It's all about feel
Quote by Lethal Dosage
I do agree with you there BUT saying that basswood is crap is just a bunch of BS to me honestly doesnt Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert use basswood ibanez?

yeah and both of them use enough effects and synthetic 80's crap to the point where it doesn't really make a difference what the guitar sounds like. both of those players aren't exactly known for their tone, but you already knew that
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul

Fact: ****ty alder or mahogany relative that they can pass off as calling mahogany =/= better than basswood. Alder, like basswood, is a relatively neutral-toned wood. Mahogany is darker. Those are the big differences, aside from the fact that they are different in how soft/hard they are.

EDIT:
Quote by hopespaul
yeah and both of them use enough effects and synthetic 80's crap to the point where it doesn't really make a difference what the guitar sounds like. both of those players aren't exactly known for their tone, but you already knew that

Uh.. since when is steve vai's tone not orgasmic? PG's ain't half bad either. Look at herman li. Do you think he has great tone? I hope not. Guess what his guitar's body wood is? Mahogany.

Btw, steve and paul do NOT overuse effects. At the most, steve has flanger, wah, and some delay and reverb going at one time, and he doesn't do it much. PG usually just has delay and EQ, sometimes flanger. Neither of them are known for being effect-*****s like kirk hammett.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Jan 10, 2009,
The guy is on a low budget, he's going to have compromise on certain aspects and wood is probably going to be one of them.

Besides how much of the woods tone is going to come through once he cranks the distortion and starts to chug his palm muted metal riffs? and how much of the woods tone is his untrained ear going to actually notice.
Quote by hopespaul
both of those players aren't exactly known for their tone, but you already knew that

Joe Satriani uses basswood guitars, I guess his tone also sucks then.
Quote by WantzChas
Joe Satriani uses basswood guitars, I guess his tone also sucks then.

it's called pro tools
It's all about feel
Quote by Jaksar
The guy is on a low budget, he's going to have compromise on certain aspects and wood is probably going to be one of them.

Besides how much of the woods tone is going to come through once he cranks the distortion and starts to chug his palm muted metal riffs? and how much of the woods tone is his untrained ear going to actually notice.

touche
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul

I take this as a challenge
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage
I take this as a challenge

ok homie. i will plug in my mahogany body 2008 Gibson LP standard straight into my fender blues junior, crank that to about 4, set up my friend's expensive ass condenser and go to my mbox2 into pro tools - no effects. i'll then record a simple riff that will highlight the tone qualities of the guitar that happens to use mahogany wood. then we can compare that to your basswood ibanez, however you record it. sounds like a ****ing challenge to me
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
ok homie. i will plug in my mahogany body 2008 Gibson LP standard straight into my fender blues junior, crank that to about 4, set up my friend's expensive ass condenser and go to my mbox2 into pro tools - no effects. i'll then record a simple riff that will highlight the tone qualities of the guitar that happens to use mahogany wood. then we can compare that to your basswood ibanez, however you record it. sounds like a ****ing challenge to me

Ha ha its not really fair as you have superior gear
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by hopespaul

Oh yeah, your $2000 guitar against his $400 one... very fair eh? Try getting a guitar at that price made of mahogany. It won't be near the grade (or maybe even species) that your les paul is made of.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Oh yeah, your $2000 guitar against his $400 one... very fair eh? Try getting a guitar at that price made of mahogany. It won't be near the grade (or maybe even species) that your les paul is made of.

it's actually more close to $3000, but who's counting?

i wonder why gibson didn't choose to build their guitars with top grade basswood.
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
it's actually more close to $3000, but who's counting?

i wonder why gibson didn't choose to build their guitars with top grade basswood.

Hmm, maybe because people that want the les paul sound won't get it with basswood? Amazing theory, huh?
Quote by Pac_man0123
Hmm, maybe because people that want the les paul sound won't get it with basswood? Amazing theory, huh?

wow pac_man0123, you do really know what's up!

the problem with basswood is that it's low on mass, and the sound does not resonate throughout the body of the guitar properly, leaving the sound rather thin as compared to other heavier woods. alder, which is relatively similar in weight to basswood, has certain features that allow for proper resonation of sound, allowing for producing a quality low-end sound which is oh-so-brutal in metal music. mahogany is a lot more dense than both of those,creating a rich, more complex sound. musicians like steve vai or paul gilbert use basswood because it is light, inexpensive, and is known for a sound that is very precise with little complexity, so when it's time to turn on the effects, the recording will be predictable and simple to manipulate.
It's all about feel
Page 1 of 2