Page 1 of 3
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/717066/catastrophic-sun-storm-possible-nasa-warns

A once-in-a-century solar storm would threaten catastrophic destruction if a worst-case scenario event transpired, a new NASA report has found.

Governments would be powerless to curb the loss of crucial infrastructure including power grids, potable water and sewage disposal, the report said, potentially crippling our way of life for months.

The forecast is based in part on a similarly sized solar storm that took place in 1859, which melted telegraph wires and ignited widespread fires in Europe and the United States, Fox News reports.

If a repeat event happened now, scientists warn the consequences would be far more serious — even "potentially catastrophic" — because modern technologies have made our infrastructure more inter-reliant.

The danger lies in the sun emitting solar flares so intense that they produce magnetic pulses with the force to destroy power grids by melting transformers.

The power outages could spur a series of devastating consequences:

"Impacts would be felt on interdependent infrastructures with, for example, potable water distribution affected within several hours; perishable foods and medications lost in 12-24 hours; immediate or eventual loss of heating/air conditioning, sewage disposal, phone service, transportation, fuel resupply and so on," the report writes.

"Emergency services would be strained, and command and control might be lost."

The sun operates on an 11-year cycle, with the next "active" phase due in 2012 likely to present the nearest danger.

Though worst-case storms are only expected to occur once every hundred years, smaller solar flares have caused major disruptions in modern times.

In 1989, a sun storm was so powerful it blacked out the whole province of Quebec in Canada — an area almost the size of Queensland.

Another event in 2003 knocked out two satellites circling the Earth and destroyed a piece of equipment on a Mars orbiter.

"Obviously, the sun is Earth's life blood," NASA spokesman Richard Fisher was quoted as saying.

"To mitigate possible public safety issues, it is vital that we better understand extreme space weather events caused by the sun's activity."
Cool.
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
Great, now we really are screwed... and just when I thought my life was going to take a turn for the better.

Thanks for ruining my day, NASA. You nerds.
Oh noez! This will be the day Palin gets elected.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
i call bs only because they predict it to happen in the Cliche year of 2012
Quote by SGmaniac1021
One time I had this disease that every morning I had to open my eyes. The doctor told me it was just me waking up in the morning.

On no, better get me some I-wear-sunglasses-inside-to-look-like-a-douche sunglasses to prepare.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

what is it? may of 2012. those damn Mayans!! so this thing will knock out power, spoil food, and even ruin the drinking water? oh and of course send the earth spinning into the sun.wouldn't people be effected also if al these other things were getting messesd up? nice knowing ya'll. it's some doom and gloom BS. i'll see you in 3 yrs
All my guitars are old enough to buy beer, are You?
so what, the Mayans already figured this out.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

**** NASA

(damn what an intelligent response)
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
It's way too sunny and warm here today to listen to black metal, I shall bookmark it and come back when the weather is worse.
thatll put me at the ripe age of 33, I think ill be ready
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
With boys it's like "here's an incredibly complex sport to learn with sophisticated rules and various interdependent roles to play in a social unit."

For girls it's like "here's Barbie...you're fat!"
thanks alot eggheads, now ive got a reason worry about death from above.

im gonna go lie down
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
So does this mean that we should replace our people at NASA with Mayans(through time travel,of course),since the Mayans seem to be much more efficient?
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
I'd be slightly worried, but since it's 2012 then i got nothing to worry about.

It's common sense now to dismiss anything planned for 2012 as BS, even the olympics aren't gonna happen as far as i care.
I will lol at everyone if 2012 really is the end of the world
People are bastards. Bastardcoated bastards with bastardfilling.
Quote by myearshurt
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/717066/catastrophic-sun-storm-possible-nasa-warns

A once-in-a-century solar storm would threaten catastrophic destruction if a worst-case scenario event transpired, a new NASA report has found.

Governments would be powerless to curb the loss of crucial infrastructure including power grids, potable water and sewage disposal, the report said, potentially crippling our way of life for months.

The forecast is based in part on a similarly sized solar storm that took place in 1859, which melted telegraph wires and ignited widespread fires in Europe and the United States, Fox News reports.

I stopped there.

Then I googled it. The first two results were from the site you showed. Then two from UG. Then one from a forum on a site called abovetopsecret.com

A search on NASA's own website showed nothing similar. Sounds like bull**** conspiracy to me.

C'mon people, do your research.
I never believe any of this crap. We will all go when its time to go and just because some nutjob says we will die in 7 days or whatever is total bull.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
so this solar storm, could it potentially fry a guitar amp?

NASA scares me.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
Holy fuck, Swayze's in hospital!
Last edited by Kyle.E at Jan 10, 2009,
Meh... This wouldn't be that bad. No power for a few months.. At least we're not gonna get nuked. It'll be like Fallout but without the Mutants..
Quote by dark&broken
I stopped there.

Then I googled it. The first two results were from the site you showed. Then two from UG. Then one from a forum on a site called abovetopsecret.com

A search on NASA's own website showed nothing similar. Sounds like bull**** conspiracy to me.

C'mon people, do your research.

/thread
How many threats of natural disasters have their been already?
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Worst case scenario would be bad, but I'm not too worries about it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Worst case scenario would be bad, but I'm not too worries about it.

It'd just be like living in an undeveloped country for a few months though.. Might get a bit cold.. Course there'll be riots and martial law. Though that's all fun stuff.
Quote by CliffIsAngry
so this solar storm, could it potentially fry a guitar amp?

NASA scares me.

IF it happens you will be dead, you're not gonna care about your guitar amp lol

Well I personally don't care if it happens or not
Dammit, I was hoping that the core of the earth would explode and earth would completely explode. That way is so much cooler to die.

Now we are going to have to deal with heat.

The end of the world will be fun. We are all going to die, so we won't have to worry about losing family members.

If this actually happens, I will take the easy way out, and jump off a bridge before I burn to death or die of thirst.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by tmfiore at Jan 10, 2009,
I think this is what the world needs. A few months to sort itself out. Make people appreciate what they have more. Sure, the elderly will die. Solve the aging/surplus population. And think, a few months without pollution. Give the earth time to breathe. Burning trees and whatnot could release a fair amount of carbon, but whatever.

Unforunately, after reading a couple of articles, it seems like nothing major will happen unless it's a 'worse case scenario'. Which is pretty much like the people who are predicting massive meteors crashing into the Earth every few years. It's really not going to happen.

BUT 2012 WILL BRING DEATH TO EVERYONE ANYWAY. Duh. So none of it matters.
Last edited by stratocasta at Jan 10, 2009,
Page 1 of 3