Okay, I have a tom delonge signature guitar and i liked it alot, but I wanted it in pink. I looked, first of all the dont sell them anymore..and when they did it wasnt made in pink .SO being the hobbyist I am, i said..hmm lets make one. I bought a $99 Squier Bullet Strat that had 3 single coils, I bought a Seymour Duncan Invader Humbucker(Thats whats in the bridge of Toms Guitars, and my real signature) And a White Pearloid Single Humbucker, Single Volume Pickguard and a 500k Dimarzio Pot. I wired everything together as per the wiring diagram for this setup on SD's site. The Guitar Works perfect, but theres a lot of hum when distortion is cranked and I'm not playing. Something my real fender dosent have. As soon as i touch the strings, the hum goes away, or if i touch the brigde, or the tremolo bar...Thing is, i dont want to have to touch the guitar at all times, or click off my distortion.Is there any remedies that work? BTW my pickguard is shielded in the area by the volume pot.
Fender Custom Shop Telecaster
Fender Tom DeLonge Signature
Gibson ES-339
Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier
Marshall JCM900 1960a Lead 4x12
It sounds like something isn't grounded properly or not at all is there a ground wire going from the wiring thru to the back cavity and attached to the thing that holds the trem springs on?

edit* the other end should be soldered to the bottom of one of the pots
Last edited by tobuei at Jan 10, 2009,
i connected the ground wire from the bridge, but I am going to check tommorrow to see if maybe it came off..Any other suggestions on things i can do to minimize it, while i have the pickugard off?
Gibson ES-339
Quote by laneylespaul
i connected the ground wire from the bridge, but I am going to check tommorrow to see if maybe it came off..Any other suggestions on things i can do to minimize it, while i have the pickugard off?

More copper shielding, perhaps?
okay thanks! ill look into the grounding problem nd if i cant figure it out, ill take some pics and send post em so you guys can help me lol.
Gibson ES-339
I was just thinking about it, this guitar had the same hum, with the stock pickups also. Is it possible that the ground wire from the bridge, isnt grounded properly?
Gibson ES-339
I just checked all connections, they are fine. Theres no issue as per the wiring diagram given by SD...any other possibles? like the ground wire not being grounded right?
Gibson ES-339
I noticed that most soldering jobs on guitars are crap. try resoldering the ground cable and see if it goes away
it may have also been that i did a half ass soldering job, with a half ass soldering iron..im redoing it....i also noticed that the 2 wires that are supposed to be soldered together and taped off.werent soldered?...i did a lot of **** wrong so im guna redo it and let ya'll know how it goes.
Gibson ES-339