Hey guys i just got approved credit with GC and i have been dying to trade in my Vox valvetronix for a real a tube amp. So i went today and saw both of these amps, The Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 and the Marshall JCM2000 TSL 60w combo, both 899 used. Now i have played and reviewed the Mesa Boogie in the past and remember being pretty impressed with it, but i have never played this Marhsall. Im going back tomorrow to test them out, they are conveniantely next to each other, and i was wondering what your guys' opinions were on the two amps.

My needs at school are gigging at bars and cafes and at home i jam with my friends in a loft above my garage. The styles of music i play cover alot of different bands inlcuding Radiohead to Smashing Pumpkins to Kings of Leon, so there is an equal importance on both clean dirty tones.

I can have either of these amps for the same price, obviously im gonna play them but i was wondering if anyone had prior experiences? (both poisitive and negative)

Thanks
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
I've played both. Personally I liked the boogie better, but really man? Both descent amps, neither of them are really the wrong choice, so I'd suggest you try both and see what fits for ya.
I'm Joel. I play guitar. I am a student. I look at the cost of tuition, not in a dollar value, but in the guitars I'm sacrificing now, to be able to buy later.
You can do better for the price range really. Those two amps are some of the worst examples for their respective brands.

I was thoroughly unimpressed by the TSL60 I tried. I don't really listen to the bands you listed, and don't feel like looking them up right now, but if you could give me your price range I can point you in a good direction.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
I like the TSL a lot.

Surprising for a Marshall is has a good clean tone and the distortion is great.

There is a lot of bashing of the TSL series on this forum that is really unwarranted. A lot of other forums I post on really enjoy the amp. That being said, whenever I play out I get compliments on my tone all the time.

For what you want to play, you will want a british voiced amp and I am sure the Marshall will work best out of the two amps you mentioned.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Thanks for the adivce so far, i think my price range is probably like 1100-1300 dollars but for me to go that high, its got to be a stellar amp. Does that open that open the door for anything really great?
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
the TSL won't be good for radiohead. kings of leon and smashing pumpkins maybe. i think that TSLs sound better w/ single coil pickups, btw. you can do better for a grand though. a vox ac30 with a big muff pi and a tubescreamer would probably work better for you
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by spiff389
the TSL won't be good for radiohead. kings of leon and smashing pumpkins maybe. i think that TSLs sound better w/ single coil pickups, btw. you can do better for a grand though. a vox ac30 with a big muff pi and a tubescreamer would probably work better for you

Spot on. The CC1 should be no problem at GC.