Whats the greatest use of volume pedals? I never understood why so many of my favorite guitar players have it on their pedalboards, so i was wondering what it is used for? is adjusting volume really that necessary when you can just use your guitar volume or amp volume? or is there more to that?
MUST....BUY.....MORE.......PEDALS.....!
No, the main use of a volume pedal is doing volume swells/tremolos which can sound like a bowed instrument or something else.
When you use it with delay at the right settings, you can simulate a violin when you do volume swells.

Yngwie Malmstten does this .
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
^Yeah, they can sound pretty badass, but most players just use their volume knobs.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I've never used a volume pedal but my assumption is it doesn't change your tone like rolling back your volume knob does.

I could be totally wrong though.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Kartman
^Yeah, they can sound pretty badass, but most players just use their volume knobs.

Rolling the volume knob on a les paul can be difficult. They are not as close to the string compared to a strat .

Anyways, what i meant was, volume swells can be used in this fashion. Yngwie usually uses his volume knob and I usually modulate the volume using a volume pedal.
The cliched "rig" Signature:

ESP LTD EC-1000VBL (EMG-ed)
Dean Cadillac SilverBurst Left-handed
Boss GT-8
Roland Micro-Cube
Line 6 FlexTone III XL
Levy's straps
Quote by crimson moon
Rolling the volume knob on a les paul can be difficult. They are not as close to the string compared to a strat .

Anyways, what i meant was, volume swells can be used in this fashion. Yngwie usually uses his volume knob and I usually modulate the volume using a volume pedal.

If everyone did what yngwie did then krispy kreme's would stop closing around the country.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLCFecqmntg

Much easier to use a volume pedal for something like that, particularly on Les Pauls. Also, they can be used to fade from one amp to another (stereo volume pedals) which is helpful if you have one distorted and one clean and want a smooth transition while playing.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Jan 10, 2009,