7 pins

I named him Bill.
Here's Bill with his grandkids. Cheeky bastards!

Anal

So...its apparently an M8082 type.

Are these used in guitar amps?
Also, would some random brand (Zaerix - UK) sound good?
I plan to attempt a 2 watter in the summer and i wanted to know if the guy sells decent tubes.
He has 12AX7's and EL34's and 6V6/6L6's, but not like EHX and stuff, its some (insert name i dont remember) made in USA tubes. Reasonably priced.
Well?
I don't think those are used in guitar amps, at least not any that I've seen, I ran a quick google search, they're a 7 pin output pentode with a 5 watt plate dissipation, not really what you see in guitar amps, and most small wattage tube amps I've seen run 9 pin el84s. Hope that helps.
Ever heard of Macro on cameras?
Quote by ep1kz
wtf? why didnt you punch one of them in the face or something? they're not girls, they are fat chavs, they are their own gender
I know i know...

It's my mom's camera and i didn't think they'd come out like that

So would quality compromised tubes make the amp sound really bad or just a bit duller?
7-pins aren't used much in guitar amps (not at all in the last..30 year maybe?) they're used in microphones, that's about it.

According to this: http://scottbecker.net/tube/sheets/129/m/M8082.pdf They're a rugged-ized output tube good for 4.75 watts output power max.

So...unless you want to spend a year learning about tubes, and then build yourself a 2 1/3 watt SE amp (that'd prolly beat the crap out of a Valve Jr if you did it right), it's not usable.

I'll give you $2 + S&H for it.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by DLrocket89
7-pins aren't used much in guitar amps (not at all in the last..30 year maybe?) they're used in microphones, that's about it.

According to this: http://scottbecker.net/tube/sheets/129/m/M8082.pdf They're a rugged-ized output tube good for 4.75 watts output power max.

So...unless you want to spend a year learning about tubes, and then build yourself a 2 1/3 watt SE amp (that'd prolly beat the crap out of a Valve Jr if you did it right), it's not usable.

I'll give you $2 + S&H for it.

Sold!

(you ARE joking right? You don't want these...its made by some random company called Zaerix Electronics ltd. in Orpington - Kent, England)
It looks reasonably old...green and black box.

1. I do want to build a tube amp...preferably small and cheap ...im low on funds.
2. Whats SE? (Sorry...when it comes to tubes, i know squat)
3. Got any suggestions for building tube based circuits?
Last edited by unet at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by unet
Sold!

(you ARE joking right? You don't want these...its made by some random company called Zaerix Electronics ltd. in Orpington - Kent, England)

1. I do want to build a tube amp...preferably small and cheap ...im low on funds.
ax84.com

they've got a 2watt push-pull poweramp circuit that you can combine with any of their preamp circuits to make a simple, low cost, effective amp. I recommend searching their archives for the 'October Studio' design, essentially an amp made to sound like a 2w Plexi.

Amp building's not easy though. Learn about tubes and stuff.

HOWEVER I should also point out that building amps isn't also particularly economically effective, you'll require tonnes of tools, and supplies can be hard to source in the UK let alone india.

Oh and blah blah blah you could die etc.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Last edited by MrCarrot at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by MrCarrot
ax84.com
Amp building's not easy though. Learn about tubes and stuff.

HOWEVER I should also point out that building amps isn't also particularly economically effective, you'll require tonnes of tools, and supplies can be hard to source in the UK let alone india.

Oh and blah blah blah you could die etc.

If you mean electronics supplies, im pretty much sorted. You can get almost anything here, except that it's not particularly high quality.

I was actually thinking of taking out the SS stuff from my old Laney practice amp and using the chassis from that to house the tube bit.

What kind of transformers are generally used?

I heard those are generally the most expensive bit.
Quote by unet
Sold!

It looks reasonably old...green and black box.

No I wasn't actually, I collect oddball tubes that are usable (usable to me, because I know how to design tube circuits to work w/ other tubes). Current collection is at about 500something. If you do want to get into tube amps though, hold onto it, might come in handy someday.

If you want a start, definately AX84.com, that's where I got my start. Go buy one of Doberman's P1 kits, it was my first hand-built amp. After about 10 more, it's still a favorite. It's a great sound, and the kit is something like $219. Comes w/o a speaker cab or speaker tho, so that's an extra cost. Kit does come w/ transformers, a hammond PT and I you have the option for a Doberman output transformer, get that, it's better than the hammond.

If you go that route, resist the urge to build a Single-ended Lead or P1-high octane your first go around...it's worth getting the simpler one for your first one, because you have a better chance of not screwing it up, so you have a better chance of liking it.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by DLrocket89
No I wasn't actually, I collect oddball tubes that are usable (usable to me, because I know how to design tube circuits to work w/ other tubes). Current collection is at about 500something. If you do want to get into tube amps though, hold onto it, might come in handy someday.

If you want a start, definately AX84.com, that's where I got my start. Go buy one of Doberman's P1 kits, it was my first hand-built amp. After about 10 more, it's still a favorite. It's a great sound, and the kit is something like $219. Comes w/o a speaker cab or speaker tho, so that's an extra cost. Kit does come w/ transformers, a hammond PT and I you have the option for a Doberman output transformer, get that, it's better than the hammond.

AX84's not much of an option for me right now.
They probably don't ship to India, and besides, i'm getting some new pups and a pedal, so im tapped. I know building one on my own would probably cost that much too but i couyld save till summer and the shipping thing wouldn't be an issue.

I was actually looking at their Firefly Schematic. Anyone tried that? It looks pretty simple, and intriguing.

And if you really want this tube i could just give it to you (if you cover S&H). I got it for the equivalent of 1 dollar, so no big deal.