Is there any pedal that could give me a tone similar to Angus Young? Im playing through a solid state amp if that helps.

Or any other pedals that could give me a warm tube sound i guess?
Quote by farcry
the first time I've ever been sigged, and it had to be about a butthole. My dad would be proud.
I was going to bash Angus Young, but I'll hold back.

I'm a firm believer that the only way to get that "warm tube sound" is through a tube amp. I believe he uses Marshalls of some sort. What brand and model of amp is yours? And what kind of guitar do you play? This will help.
Quote by Joe-White
I was going to bash Angus Young, but I'll hold back.

good thing you did or else

anywho, ts, what amp do you have? and what is your budget?
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
angus gets his tone through and amp. crank up the volume with a small amount of gain ( it has to be loud to overdrive the speakers) and give it some decent treble
Im playing a GIbson Les Paul Junior through a Marshall MG halfstack. And yes i know that MG's are horrible but its all ive got.
Quote by farcry
the first time I've ever been sigged, and it had to be about a butthole. My dad would be proud.
Maybe a low budget overdrive though the clean channel of your amp?

Bluesdriver might get you there but it depends alot on the amp and the guitar/player etc...
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
^Yeah ive used a blues driver and i dont like it very much.
Quote by farcry
^ Me too
Quote by farcry
Ahh haha ok.

The SD-1 has a slightly smoother more natural tone to it, that or the Digitech Bad Monkey. Most of these are tubescreamer clones but I think any general good sounding overdrive will get you in the Angus Young ball park.

The good thing about those pedals also is that you can use it with a better amp if you upgrade.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

^ I generally stay away from any boss pedals period. To me they have a very fake sounding tone if you know what i mean.
Quote by farcry
the MI Audio Crunch Box will give you a pretty freakin' awesome marshall type overdrive. you can either do that or simply wait for a tube amp. angus get's all of his tone from running a marshall half stack at about 5
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by pnkrockfishermn
^ I generally stay away from any boss pedals period. To me they have a very fake sounding tone if you know what i mean.

The sd-1 is good for modding . . .
yeah I have a 10w ss amp Kustom Dart 66
I bought an overdrive pedal a while back, the SD-1 to be correct
I was pretty excited to see how it would fix up my tone for a nice classic rock tone.
All I got was a really crappy muffled sound out of my amp.
I didn't like it at all and it was a hassle to use it, I never use it anymore
I think the pedal will work much better on a tube amp and when I get the SCXD or Vox VT30
I hope the amp responds better to the pedal
The Bad Monkey is too transparent on a SS amp, the Screamin Blues can do a pretty good Angus tone though
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
^ I heard a soundclip of the Screamin' Blues paired with a Bad Monkey and it got some great gain.

Quote by pnkrockfishermn

Have you tried the SD-1?

I can see where you're coming from and agree for the most part but there are exceptions, the SD-1 possibly being one. Don't rule out a whole brand too quickly.
Not saying you'll like it or not, just saying that it might be worth a try. I thought it was nice through the Classic 50 (it is a tube amp though.)

What amp are you using currently? The reason I kept mentioning Boss was because an expensive overdrive probably wouldn't do much through an SS amp. BTW, what amp are you using?

Now if you don't want boss, the Bad Monkey is probably your choice. Also depending on your amp or if you get a better one there are great Marshall emulators like the Zvex Box Of Rock which would be fantastic with the right amp. So you have a ton of those options open.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jan 10, 2009,
^ Im using a Marshall MG 100 watt half stack. Everything ive tried has either too much high end or not enough on the low end. I cant really find a pedal that has that happy medium.
Quote by farcry
^ Have you tried a different amp?

I mean nothing against MG's or anything, but if none of the pedals help your tone it might just be the amp that's causing the problems.

^ Thats pretty much the answer that i have come too. But how much would a marshall tube amp head cost?
Quote by farcry
Well if you look used, you could probably find a JCM 800 or 900 anywhere around $400 to $900-ish. The prices vary quite a bit between models but i'm not familiar with each one. I know one of the users on here who uses a JCM 900 and gets amazing classic rock/Zeppelin tones.

Angus Young used cranked plexis to get his tone, however a plexi these days will cost quite a lot. If you really want one an 18 watter or some sort of clone could be very helpful (this is where Gabel comes in, he knows a ton about this stuff.)

Now if budget is an issue, there are alot of good well priced tube amps which get "Marshall like" tone. Not exactly of course but any British voiced tube amp should do fairly well. So it doesn't necessarily have to be a Marshall.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Jan 10, 2009,
A Peavey Windsor could probably hit a pretty sick AC/DC tone.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
angs is a marshall player... i have a guvnor those are alright... i use it for low lever playing becaus ei only have one amp at them moment but if u tweeked it enough it would have an alright angus tone
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.
zvex box of rock
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Well if you look used, you could probably find a JCM 800 or 900 anywhere around $400 to $900-ish. The prices vary quite a bit between models but i'm not familiar with each one. I know one of the users on here who uses a JCM 900 and gets amazing classic rock/Zeppelin tones.

Angus Young used cranked plexis to get his tone, however a plexi these days will cost quite a lot. If you really want one an 18 watter or some sort of clone could be very helpful (this is where Gabel comes in, he knows a ton about this stuff.)

Now if budget is an issue, there are alot of good well priced tube amps which get "Marshall like" tone. Not exactly of course but any British voiced tube amp should do fairly well. So it doesn't necessarily have to be a Marshall.

Well your right on there. An 18watter i sgreat. I've put a Power Scale and Post Phase Inverter Master Volume in my Lite and it's great. Basically the power scale controls the volume and then the master controls the preamp distortion (ussually I run it low) and then the volume controls the poweramp distortion. Great classic rock amp, just check the video in my sig!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
There is always the Snarling Dogs Black Dog or the Blue Doo-I play one through a small Kustom 10w amp and it definetly is the best sound i had from a ****ty small ss amp like this.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
^ Have you tried a different amp?

I mean nothing against MG's or anything, but if none of the pedals help your tone it might just be the amp that's causing the problems.

Oh, well Im completely against MG's louder than practice amps. **** components plus a **** speaker = tone hell. Small MG's are whatever, but a halfstack, really?

And get off the anti Boss bandwagon everyone. Really, just go and actually try and listen to the sound without being biased. Sure a metal zone may sound like a spider, but other pedals will not sound as bad as people make them out to be.
Quote by dudetheman
A Peavey Windsor could probably hit a pretty sick AC/DC tone.

The Windsor can suck my ****. Its just a loud gain-y POS. Good luck getting some real sounds out of it, aka cranking it. Its not a good amp, and the stock tubes and speakers dont help this out at all.

You dont really need "100 watts all-tube", but them again some people do. I suggest not getting a Windsor. Yes Ive played one.
Quote by Gabel
Well your right on there. An 18watter i sgreat. I've put a Power Scale and Post Phase Inverter Master Volume in my Lite and it's great. Basically the power scale controls the volume and then the master controls the preamp distortion (ussually I run it low) and then the volume controls the poweramp distortion. Great classic rock amp, just check the video in my sig!

Wow........just wow...that tone was fantastic!!! You nailed the famous Marshall sound Gabel, and at usable volumes too.

How does it do with the rest of the band?

I still regret not giving into one of those 18 watt clones when I had the chance but the Classic has been holding up so I can't complain.

Classics are great amp, my best friend/bassist's dad has a Classic 30 and I must say, probably the best amp for the price.

Well the amp is doing great with the band, I can run it roughly a 1/3 up on the power scale. Also I'm ordering a nice combo cabinet for it and probably putting in one of my 70's Celestions in it or so!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
Classics are great amp, my best friend/bassist's dad has a Classic 30 and I must say, probably the best amp for the price.

Well the amp is doing great with the band, I can run it roughly a 1/3 up on the power scale. Also I'm ordering a nice combo cabinet for it and probably putting in one of my 70's Celestions in it or so!

1/3, that's pretty good, cause i didn't think the 18 watters had that much volume. Looks like it can be quite the beast live.

I'm sure it'll sound even bigger with the cab upgrade.

if you don't have much budget, check out the Digitech Screamin' Blues pedal. it does that stuff pretty well for the price.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
+1 to the screamin blues
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

actually it sounds rather nice, it is an analog overdrive pedal. very similar to the bad mokey but with more gain.
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by Gabel

i love my 18 watter.... killer sound man...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him acheive world dominance.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
1/3, that's pretty good, cause i didn't think the 18 watters had that much volume. Looks like it can be quite the beast live.

I'm sure it'll sound even bigger with the cab upgrade.

Yeah, they can deliver, they're little beasts. They've got about as much volume (But less headroom) as a Classic 30, no problem in a band at all!

Yeah I've just ordered it. It's going to be a 1x12 Bluesbreaker/18watt cab for it.

Quote by SRV59
i love my 18 watter.... killer sound man...

They're great. Like a Mini JTM!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by lbj273
actually it sounds rather nice, it is an analog overdrive pedal. very similar to the bad mokey but with more gain.

I agree very much to this... and you can adjust the high and lows...

TS definatly check out the Screamin Blues....better then the bad monkey IMO
Fulltone OCD.

Gets me VERY close. (As close as you can get through an SS amp anyways.
Last edited by JilaX^ at Jan 12, 2009,