I'm looking to buy a budget Les Paul. I've played for about 2 years and my strat is just a bit too weak for me. I'm looking at Epiphone (although they've raised in price ) Tokai etc..

I've heard good things about the Epi Standard and the Tokai equivalent. What do you guys think?

Dave
Last edited by DaveyBoy11122 at Jan 10, 2009,
I used to have an Epi LP Standard plaintop as first electric guitar, and I couldn't be happier. I would recommend to read reviews at:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/epiphone/index.html
Otherwise go to a store and try a bunch of different models... Depending on what style of music you like/play, you may prefer a model over another.
Quote by gudinge
Wasn't there a thread about this like yesterday?
Quote by ivan_2894
This guy knows what he's talking about
(Ab)using:
* Ibanez PF5 acoustic * Gibson '08 LP Classic * Schecter Damien FR *
* Marshall JCM 2k DSL401 *
* Boss OS-2 * Boss DD-7 *

Eyes on Wah & SD pups
Last edited by tickler444 at Jan 10, 2009,
What's your budget, where do you live and what kind of music do you play?

There are a lot of good LP copies and there's a fair few variations so more specific details will help.

Though right off the bat, some of the good companies to look at are: Epiphone, Tokai, Vintage, Rally, Agile, ESP/LTD.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
My budget is about £350, and I play a bit of everything, but mostly rock/alternative.
Mr. Flibble has the questions right there - there's no point in us recommending a Vintage if you live in Canada and can't get hold of them.
I used to own the Epi standard - Solid guitar, and with a good amp you're pretty much there - the only thing letting it down are the pickups, but it still gives good sounds.
If you're looking for something different, I recently (i.e., the other day) bought a Vintage AV1, and that just feels bloody Fantastic, and that's for a similar level as the Epi standard (and often a little bit cheaper)
EDIT: The Vintage i said about cost me £250. Most Epiphone Standards set you back 300 and around, depending on where you go. Agile anf Tokai seem tpo have good reputations, but I'd say grab what you can in stores & play the hell outta them. But I'd say find the Vintage, but then that's be for ya'
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Last edited by Korzack at Jan 10, 2009,
Buy the tokai, I've said this a few times, but its still relevant: Epiphone are made to be worse than Gibson, Tokai make their guitars be as good as they can be, they want to compete with Gibson. This doesn't mean that every toka will be better than every Epiphone, but I own a Tokai and it compares favorably with an Epi LP custom.
Quote by EL2T
Buy the tokai, I've said this a few times, but its still relevant: Epiphone are made to be worse than Gibson, Tokai make their guitars be as good as they can be, they want to compete with Gibson. This doesn't mean that every toka will be better than every Epiphone, but I own a Tokai and it compares favorably with an Epi LP custom.

The Tokais that are comparable to Gibsons run $1500+ usually.
Tokai and Vintage probably are your best bets if you're in good ol' Blighty. The decent Tokais will cost a little more (often around the same as the Standard and Custom Epis) but they're as high quality as you can get for this kind of price.

Vintage tend to not be quite as good as Tokai, but they can still compete with Epiphone and will be considerably cheaper. I think Vintage are probably the all-round best value for money LP copy available to us in the UK. Since the money you save buying a Vintage instead of a Tokai or Epi can go towards new pickups or a better amp, I think this is the best option for most people.

There's also Rally, which is on par with Vintage, costs about the same, tends to be harder to get hold of though since they're a smaller brand. If stores near you happen to have some in then they're worth checking out but I wouldn't worry about them too much.

One thing you should be aware is that there isn't really a viable LP copy within that price limit that will suit alternative rock straight out of the box. It may be worth considering saving up a little more money and buying one of the better ESP/LTDs if you're really hardcore into alternative music since LTD's tend to be oriented more towards metal and similar styles right out the box.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
To bad you seem to be in Europe somewhere. Ive got a really nice black/chrome 2005 Gibson Studio LP that Im really trying to get rid of. Had the original pups switched out for KFK EMGs. The original pups would be included as well as the hard case. EMGs in a chunk of mahogony that size sound like the bowels of hell itself. Still able to get the perfect "Nothing Else Matters" clean tone as well....

Ill post pics sometime....

Id very seriously also look at Edwards if I were you.....the best LP copies Ive ever seen...just as good if not better than the original at half the price...
Quote by CelticCross74
To bad you seem to be in Europe somewhere. Ive got a really nice black/chrome 2005 Gibson Studio LP that Im really trying to get rid of. Had the original pups switched out for KFK EMGs. The original pups would be included as well as the hard case. EMGs in a chunk of mahogony that size sound like the bowels of hell itself. Still able to get the perfect "Nothing Else Matters" clean tone as well....

Ill post pics sometime....

Id very seriously also look at Edwards if I were you.....the best LP copies Ive ever seen...just as good if not better than the original at half the price...

Sounds great but not what im looking for.

Edwards are very hard to come by.
Vintage are pretty good, i got one instead of an epi les paul, much cheaper, about same quality, although ur looking for something more expensive
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Hard to come by? Maybe its a location thing. Im in the US. All I have to do is go on evil-bay and search "Edwards/ESP". Ill get a couple hundered results every time. Hell Im just drooling over this white Gibby V knockoff on there. Damn thing even has the mop block inlays like the rare early 80s special editions also comes w/duncans all for 750 bucks!

Of course for a new one youll be buying from a Japanese dealer and it will be shipped overseas from Japan take overseas shipping as you will but from what Ive learned while inquiring about the V the actual dealers have an outstanding history of shipping on time and undamaged. There are a handful of Edwards dealers in Europe.

Ive seen and played 2 Edwards LP knock offs in the past 24 months. Both were evil-bay and shipped from Japan. They were unbelievably high quality and sounded incredible. Cant say enough good things about them. The way Gibsons quality control has disappeared into another dimension in the past 10 years Edwards is the only "Gibson" Ill ever buy new again.
Please disregard most of the B.S. you read here. Go try out different instruments and buy what you like.
Buying something new ,then running out and changing pups and new amp, rediculous.
Do your research and buy what you like.
Quote by al112987
The Tokais that are comparable to Gibsons run $1500+ usually.

+1 (well, $1500 is maybe a little high, but more than £350, anyway, the lowest MIJ models don't start until £400-£500 or so).

tokai have a ton of different models, they've got almost as many reasons as gibson to make their lower-end models worse than their higher-end ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?