I'm looking for a new mid-range bass, 4 or 5 strings. I am look to spend around £600 / $900. At the moment I have a cheap Ibanez soundgear 4 string.

My favourite bands are Iron Maiden, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Tool, Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

My amp at the moment is a Marshall MB 30 Watt. I've been looking at ultra light strings what do you think of these?

I'm not really too sure, just looking for some new gear....
I'd go for a Fender Jazz bass, most of the bands you listed have used them in some way shape or form.
Depending on which one you go for they can set you back between £600 and £1000:

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=fender+jazz&x=0&y=0&m=Brands
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Personally, I'd get a new amp instead of the bass. You'll get a far more noticeable change in your tone if you have a new amp instead of a new bass.

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
With £600 you could probably get a decent bass and amp if you go second hand
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Quote by dancesisidance
Personally, I'd get a new amp instead of the bass. You'll get a far more noticeable change in your tone if you have a new amp instead of a new bass.

+1,

as you can see i have a pretty dog bass but a good amp. so my tone is still pretty good.

i will get a new bass eventually
Last edited by 4 strings at Jan 10, 2009,
Yeah...I'm gonna say upgrade the amp. I have a nice stack, but I use a Dean bass...enough said. I get a not too shabby tone out of it! I'm not saying get a stack, but an amp upgrade is better.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
get a Carvin half stack.

then buy some pedals, if you know what you would want, some new pickups might otherwise help.

or get an Ashdown half stack. in America, an Acoustic setup would also be favorable.

if it must be a bass, Warwick, Ibanez ATK+SR+BTB+EGD, and Fender will all be great ideas.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom