Ok, so today I went to GC to look at some guitars, and they had quite a few new Gibson Les Paul Studios in the 800$ range. This is about the same as the Epi LP customs. I was just wondering, what is the difference between a studio guitar, such as this LP, and just a normal Epi LP? I realize that it is Gibson vs. Epi, but what makes the Studio different from a Standard? Is it just the finish?

Thanks.
General build quality and materials will be slightly better on the studio, but not enough to notice. I would go with the epiphone custom and change the pickups for bareknuckles to be honest.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
I own an '05 stuidio LP. Play it quite a bit. Ive checked out one of the new Prophecy Epis at GC for like ten min so I couldnt really get into how good the Epi is....

but-heres what Ive learned about LPs since I bought mine without even playing it first....

The main basic differences btwn Epi and Gibson USAs is of course Epis are made in China but dont for a second think thats a bad thing. After much research the quality control at their China plant is 100x better than what it currently is for US Gibsons. Cant honestly tell you why but its the truth.

Second-The Studio Les Paul-All of them-are the heaviest of all the LPs. The necks are also the 50's style necks which mean they are thick as HELL! My studio has the thickest baseball bat like guitar neck Ive ever played. The Epi I played was pretty thick but Im not sure if its as thick now that Ive had my studio awhile and have gotten used to it.

The Studio LP is nothing but a giant chunk of mahogony through and through. So are other LPs but as far as I know the Studios have the thickest bodies as well as necks. The heaviest guitar Ive ever played as well. The Epis cut costs with cheaper woods which are also lighter. I will say even though its the bane of my existence my Studio has the best sustain and tone Ive ever heard out of anything. All that mahogony makes it like a giant tuning fork almost. The tones its capable of are god-like.

The new Prophecy Epis come w/some pretty damn good pups for such a cheap price. The one I played for a few min at GC came with EMGs which is pretty damn nice! Idk exactly which ones they are but I can compare there since my studio had KFK EMGs swapped in when I bought it. The end result of EMGs in such a giant piece of good tonewood is just plain humbling....the Epi with em sounded pretty decent but nothing like mine.

Lastly the Epis come w/far cheaper bridges, tuners, wiring etc....

If I were you Id hold out and try to find a good used studio. Should be able to find one for well under a grand. The stock pups in the studios are veeeery good. Unless you want to play death metal with it like I did theres no need to change them.
Quote by Sonny_sam
General build quality and materials will be slightly better on the studio, but not enough to notice. I would go with the epiphone custom and change the pickups for bareknuckles to be honest.

Gibson les paul studio - African Mahogany
Epiphone les paul standard - NATO (Indonesian "Mahogany") with an African Mahogany back veneer

Slightly better materials but not enough to notice?

Quote by CelticCross74
I own an '05 stuidio LP. Play it quite a bit. Ive checked out one of the new Prophecy Epis at GC for like ten min so I couldnt really get into how good the Epi is....

Second-The Studio Les Paul-All of them-are the heaviest of all the LPs. The necks are also the 50's style necks which mean they are thick as HELL! My studio has the thickest baseball bat like guitar neck Ive ever played. The Epi I played was pretty thick but Im not sure if its as thick now that Ive had my studio awhile and have gotten used to it.

The Studio LP is nothing but a giant chunk of mahogony through and through. So are other LPs but as far as I know the Studios have the thickest bodies as well as necks. The heaviest guitar Ive ever played as well. The Epis cut costs with cheaper woods which are also lighter. I will say even though its the bane of my existence my Studio has the best sustain and tone Ive ever heard out of anything. All that mahogony makes it like a giant tuning fork almost. The tones its capable of are god-like.

It's actually slightly thinner than a standard. Also, heavier isn't better. The best les pauls are made with a high quality lightweight mahogany. The African mahogany Gibson uses for the standard lines are not bad, but just because it's heavy doesn't make it a good guitar. I prefer a lighter more resonant les paul. One that is too heavy ends up having a tone that is too dark and a bass that muds up too easily.

Lastly the Epis come w/far cheaper bridges, tuners, wiring etc....

If I were you Id hold out and try to find a good used studio. Should be able to find one for well under a grand. The stock pups in the studios are veeeery good. Unless you want to play death metal with it like I did theres no need to change them.

The stock Gibson bridges, tuners and wiring all kind of suck. In fact, the electronics REALLY suck. And the pickups that come on the studio are absolutely wretched, I don't know how you can call them "veeeery good," and no I don't play death metal, I play blues, and classic hard rock, and the entire stock setup was terrible. Stock volume pots rated at 300k, not enough for a mahogany les paul, terrible taper as well, tone sucking ceramic disk caps, all topped off with muddy pickups resulting in an overall tone I can only liken to cold chocolate syrup. I'm not saying the guitar sucks, I love my guitar. And this isn't just with the studios, this is with the entire standard production, and even historics. The guitar itself is fine, once I swapped out all the junk (new pots, new caps, new pickups), it was a tone machine.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 10, 2009,
i thought gibson used brazilian mahogany? or is that just for the custom shop lines?

EDIT: i'd agree that african is better than that phillipine mystery mahogany.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought gibson used brazilian mahogany? or is that just for the custom shop lines?

EDIT: i'd agree that african is better than that phillipine mystery mahogany.

I agree. Nato isn't bad, per se. It's just not that GREAT. Though (don't flame me for this) the pickups and wiring matter one hell of a lot more than the wood does. Not that it doesn't matter, but...

Also, I think that S. American Mahogany is extremely expensive compared to African mahogany. So, that's what gibson is doing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jan 10, 2009,
yeah, probably. i think it's

south american/honduran > african > phillipine fake mahogany.

african still does sound good though, i think my edwards, and a lot of the mid-range MIJ stuff, is african. but yeah, south american is the real good stuff.

kind of annoying too how you always see people say, "such-and-such a guitar is such good value, it's got a mahogany body and neck", and you know it's the cheapo mahogany...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

kind of annoying too how you always see people say, "such-and-such a guitar is such good value, it's got a mahogany body and neck", and you know it's the cheapo mahogany...

Thing is, that goes for every cheap guitar. It doesn't matter what species the websites say it is, you're never going to get premium A Select alder in a £200 Strat copy.

Even so, cheap alder is still preferable to cheap agathis. Most Asian-made LP copies are indeed made of very cheap mahogany, but even the cheapest mahogany is preferable to some of the **** put into some copies.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?