Poll: Have you reached the point where you're just not bothered about "guitar music"
Poll Options
View poll results: Have you reached the point where you're just not bothered about "guitar music"
Yes, in the sense the threadstarter described
99 20%
Straight No
390 80%
Voters: 489.
Page 1 of 5
I know - it's a pretty vague thread title but I've contemplated this for about 2 years and a lot of my UG online friends have known that I've since become bored of your typical, "Guitar Music", whether it be punk rock, modern rock, classical rock, blues, shred, metal, prog, alternative, indie, acoustic pop/rock etc etc. The only genre which I occassionally listen to is Country and Jazz/Western/Rag Time and even then, I'll say that's a rarity (a tune once every 4 months it looks like it).

I don't think I'm very closed-minded in terms of music because I know I listen to a vast array of it - classical and opera included actually. I've just gotten to a point where I can't get back into Western music (for the past 2/3 years I've only really listened to a lot of Chinese music - C-pop/Cantopop/Mandopop) - which is quite heavily pop orientated actually. I might link with examples later.
It's not a phase by my recollection - I've had phases before but this is really different. I know the new music out now is worse than it used to be, arguably, which is why I've tried to listen to the older stuff but I'm just really, really bored of it that I feel like it's not doing anything for me anymore. I know SilentDeftone (I think he's retired and left UG now) made a similar thread to everyone's surprise.
So my question is, have you reached the point where you really couldn't give a toss about "guitar music" in the sense that you can't really listen to it anymore because it bores the hell out of you? Of course I don't absolutely hate it and cover my ears whenever I hear something remoted guitar-ridden, I'm just bored. I'm not expecting a lot of "yes's" here but I believe I'll get a lot of flaming. I'm keeping this a PIT discussion because I feel that it fits the criteria but if the mods would like to move it to B&A, feel welcome.

I've put up a poll with two very straight forward answers. I feel that the options are very polar, in the sense that it's either a yes or a no. This shit has dragged on way too long and I've yet to ask UG. For the record, I do play guitar and have done for 6 years and if I get the time, I might still play the odd riff etc but it still does nothing for me and that's serious by guitarist standards. It's not so much the guitar itself but the genre of "guitar music" as a collective whole.

As HellBoundJohnny rightly described: The spark has indeed gone. I don't know what it is - even the spark has gone from other non-guitar orientated genres. If I had to put it in a serious context: barring one genre, I hate all other music and hate is a strong word. Perhaps disinterested is the one. Music as a whole is getting pretty boring. My situation is looking pretty dire.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jan 10, 2009,
Hell no, I get bored more of music without guitars.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Nope. If all else fails, I find a new prog release to rekindle my love of 6, 7 and 8 strings.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Well, I get bored of cliched genres such as metal. But I still like guitars
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sort of, not quite how you described (but I but yes anyway) I do find that I'm having to listen to alternative forms of music to keep my interest up but quite often find myself transcribing it for guitar, so I certainly haven't given up on the guitar!
yeah, im into not listening to any music at the moment. Its surprising how much more you hear
i like guitar music, but i also pay attention to the drums, bass, and lyrics so it isn't all about the guitar. i also don't like virtuoso shredders like malmsteen, if that counts.
To tell you the truth, I'm even surprised about the results so far.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I understand what you're implying and yes, I do get like that sometimes.

In simpler terms, what you're describing is the original spark that attracted you towards guitar-oriented music has now fizzed out and you've been left with a stale, boredom inducing outlook upon the aforementioned music; am I right?

If so, again I do get like that, however, I believe guitar music is ever-evolving and therefore there will always be something new to focus on- be it a new song, band or even a whole genre!
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Recently I've fell in love with guitar playing and I'm buying more gear and learning harder stuff, it's great
RULE BRITANNIA
Nope, that's why you learn your modes, improvise and make your OWN music.
I know what you mean.

I started listening to Worlds End Girlfriend, who basically composes a mix of post rock, classical, and electronica. I'm really into him, and after listening to his 'compositions' I kinda felt that 'guitar' music lacked something- probably that feeling of 'composition' on the scale of something as epic as WeG. The layers of instruments and such, seemed much more interesting than most guitar-based music.

But then as I continued listening, I discovered that WeG utilize(subtly) various electric and acoustic guitar sounds in their works as well, and found a new outlook on the usage of instrument. More of a texture creator, rather than being so 'in-your-face' as rock-based guitar music. I listened to stuff like the collaboration between WeG and Mono, as well as other post-rock, and kind of felt inspired to look at the usage of guitar in new and fresh ways.

So... yeah. Its not really a phase... more an evolution in taste? I cant really stand to listen to much 'guitar' music these days, and by that I mean music in which the guitar takes the forefront.

Sorry for rambling. I suppose you can go on youtube and check WeG out. Maybe you'll kinda see what I'm trying to say.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
No, I'm not bored with guitars, but for the past year I have been listening to a lot more electronic music.
Bored of a brand guitar sound yes, but I love it with loads of effects to make it something that it usually doesn't sound like. Progressive is good.
███████
███████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████
███████████████
███████████
███████

Exactly how TS described it.

Not at the moment, but I had a period that I'd be bored by that kind of music
Now and again I'll take a break from any music involving guitars. In that break I usually listen to video game soundtracks and nerd it up.

Music as a whole is getting pretty boring for me.
This thread makes me sad

But probably because i can kind of see what you mean. I think it is just a phase though, as theres always a new band that just makes you go WOW and realise theres a whole part of guitar playing you havn't heard.
Are You Shpongled..?
Quote by nugiboy
This thread makes me sad

But probably because i can kind of see what you mean. I think it is just a phase though, as theres always a new band that just makes you go WOW and realise theres a whole part of guitar playing you havn't heard.

Far from it - you can show me the most amazing technique and playing related to a guitar and I'll guarantee you, I just wouldn't care. I'd think it was pretty good but it won't motivate me and I'm sure of that.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

I see your point. Nowadays i admire more the songwriters ability to build suspension or create popular tunes than the technical skill. I started to listen to electronical music and pop/dance. I listen to the later because i can connect the euphoria of a good party to them and make me feel better even when i am just sitting in my room.
******A Console Cowboy****** 1
Quote by Harmonius
Far from it - you can show me the most amazing technique and playing related to a guitar and I'll guarantee you, I just wouldn't care. I'd think it was pretty good but it won't motivate me and I'm sure of that.

true, i'm kinda like that now. but what really motivates me is the presence of the artist and the actual musical expression through the guitar that makes me go wow.

cose when everything's analyzed and studied, it all comes down the the music

i dono, im just blabbing :\
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
No, if I'd get bored with guitar music I'd be bored with music itself.
I get tired of music that involves playing as fast as possible with solo's everywhere quite often, but other than that, no I'm always interested in guitar music.
No, although it used to be all I listened to. I got bored of punk first and then metal, and now I just listen to the strongest things in those genres and I listen to a lot more electronic music and hip hop and straight-up pop music. I also prefer alternative genres among all guitar-based music because I feel there's more innovation and it holds my interest more.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Not in the least; I searched out guitar based music for years, and I doubt I'll get bored with it now.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I don't particularly like your average distorted power chord and pentatonic solo guitar sound anymore, and can honestly say I prefer technical or fast music over emotional bluesy type stuff.

I mean, I'm only 13, so my tastes are always changing I suppose, but at the mo' technical skill is more interesting to me.

(But Anthrax are still awesome.)
nah, i like to think i listen to a pretty wide variety of guitar based (and not guitat based :p ) music, which keeps me from getting bored
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
The poll needs more options, I like music with guitars absent sure but I think that is because I have grown to enjoy music alot more and complexity of music through guitar and guitar music.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I know exactly where you're coming from, but mine comes in phases. Sometime I'm incredibly into some beautiful guitar tone and some virtuoso and I learn it and play the hell out of it. Other times I'm more into enjoying the music the first time i listen to it rather than having to analyse whether I like the guitar or not etc, which incorporates quite a lot of Hip Hop and DnB music that i listen to.

So yeah i know what you mean.
Sometimes it's why i have daft punk in my media library.
No, but I am starting to like non-guitar music too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
sometime, I will stop to listen to ''guitar-music'', but when I do that, I listen to Bach , Mozart and Vivaldi, to name a few, and I say to myself : this piece is magic ! I must play it, and there it goes, I try to learn it, discover that I'm not still good engough, and restart listening to ''guitar-music''.

I see what you mean TS, and I understand, but for me, music is far to be boring. It's my life
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
yes, and I started playing drums for this exact reason. but I still like playing guitar, but pounding out a fast double bass beat is unbelievably fun.
Whenever that happens to me, I listen to Kid A.

And then I usually get better.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
ts, your grammer and amazing sentence structure has amazed me. Harmonius, you win the pit.
i know what you mean... but that just makes it more interesting in a way. it means that there's not much amazing music out there but i can sometimes come up with some things that keep me interested in my head and when i'm randomly goofing around. there's not very much guitar-orientated music that i listen to and i'm actually getting quite into classical music but I think that there's a whole world of music to be discovered yet and that can excite me.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Page 1 of 5