Michael Kelly Valor X

How do you think it'll hold up against say a Stratocaster?

I'm asking because I've recently been looking to get another guitar and this got a 5 star review in Total Guitar magazine...... But I'm not so sure whether to get this or something more expensive.......It looks a bit too good to be true, for the price anyway.
I've no experience with this brand, but I've got to say that it's quite the looker!

In comparison to a Strat it'll sound totally different. The HH pickup config means it's more suited to heaver stuff, especially with ceramic pups which it has. The Strat is more suited to cleans and bluesy rock. That said, you can play anything with either. My advice is to try and find a shop that stocks them and play some there before making a decision.

It is very pretty though.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I've seen one in a shop but most of them are fitted with EMGs which I dont really want. I'm looking for a less agressive sound really
doesnt look liek its trying to compete with a strat more like an lp, what with mahogany body and humbuckers, nice specs though, im interested lol.
Well, I'd suggest playing them anyways, so you can judge the playability and if it really suits you. Play it unplugged and listen to the guitar, see how it resonates. That's the key to telling if you've got a well made guitar for the money.

You can always change the pickups later to mould your tone.

That's my advice anyways.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
it probably won't sound exactly like a strat, but it has coil taps doesn't it? so that might give you a good sound kind of like strat if you use the taps
with the coil taps it will be more versatile than a strat, looks better too.
For the same price, you can get a Washburn X50 Pro which is set-neck and has Seymour Duncans.

I don't think it looks quite so nice though.
GET IT!!! trust me, michael kelly makes great guitars, the rockfield pickups are really good, i think the x has the mafia's in them, those are nice pickups. i've played about 6 different models of michael kelly, and the valor x and the valor custom were my favorites (i got the custom) you're not going to get perfect strat tones from it, but it will be very similar. you can get really good crunchy leads and with the pull of the knobs you can get really warm blues tones. and if your amp is eq'd right you can get really nice jazz tones. get it.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )