Page 1 of 2
Hi guys,
I'm getting a new amp these days and i want to buy a new guitar with HSS configuration, i play all styles as a hobbist but focus on "amazing" clean sounds that aren' t trebly (i hate trebly sounds). My budget is 500$.

Fender Fat Strat is the obvious suggestion. Can't really go wrong with that IMO.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
an American Standard HSS strat sounds perfect for you.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
an American Standard HSS strat sounds perfect for you.

no american standard strat costs $500

go with a MIM HSS Strat , or maybe a jackson DK2
In Australia it costs $900. Thats around 500US. There is always 2nd hand.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Kurapica
Fender Fat Strat is the obvious suggestion. Can't really go wrong with that IMO.

Fender Fat strat are equipped with SD pearley gates as a humbucker which delivers trebly sound (no much bersatility) and the price is around 650$ i think.
Last edited by rocker313 at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by random_B-RAD
In Australia it costs $900. Thats around 500US. There is always 2nd hand.

Hm, in America they cost $1000. Sure it's not just standard strat? Then again I have been wrong with Australian prices before haha

MIM Fat Strat seems like it would be good for you. They also make one with a Floyd that is exactly $500, I don't know how good the trem is though, never tried one.
Quote by -Blue-
Hm, in America they cost $1000. Sure it's not just standard strat? Then again I have been wrong with Australian prices before haha

MIM Fat Strat seems like it would be good for you. They also make one with a Floyd that is exactly $500, I don't know how good the trem is though, never tried one.

Can you provide a link for MIM Fat Strat for 500$? Isn't it the fender lone star?
Quote by rocker313
Can you provide a link for MIM Fat Strat for 500$?

HSS Standard Strat (Fat Strat): here

Standard Strat (HSS): here (NOTE: I'm not sure what's different about this one that makes it cost more, might be the 2009 model.)

The one with the Floyd is now close to $600 though, so that crosses that off the list.
Quote by -Blue-

http://www.onlinemusicstore.com.au/index.php?page=showProduct&id=FEMSSSBRW
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by -Blue-
HSS Standard Strat (Fat Strat): here

Standard Strat (HSS): here (NOTE: I'm not sure what's different about this one that makes it cost more, might be the 2009 model.)

The one with the Floyd is now close to $600 though, so that crosses that off the list.

The first one isn't a fat strat. The fat strat is equipped with two texas special and a SD pearley gates!!
Quote by random_B-RAD

From the site:
NEW & IMPROVED - BETTER PLAYING - BETTER SOUNDING The latest updated Fender Standard Stratocaster now features an alder body, new improved tremelo with heavier block for better sustain, medium jumbo frets for a more modern feel, and it comes in a gig bag. Available with rosewood or maple fingerboard. Made in Mexico.

EDIT: rocker, you might be thinking of a different guitar. From the first link:
The Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS (also known as a Fat Strat) electric guitar...

Fat Strat simply means it has a humbucker as the bridge pickup. There are many different kinds of them, you might be thinking of a specific Fender model.
Last edited by -Blue- at Jan 10, 2009,
then why is there also a MiM one >.> Damn people trying to trick me.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by rocker313
Yes but still this isn't a fat start as i said before. I think there is better than fender in this price range!!

Well it is a fat strat, but it might be a brighter tone than you're looking for. I'd suggest looking at some Ibanezes in your price range, they seem to make some good HSS guitars with heavier tone. Maybe Jackson too, not sure, you might want someone else to help you out with guitars of those brands. It comes down to preference a lot of the time.

EDIT: The link you posted is a Fat Strat Texas Special. That is a specific model of Fat Strat, there are still plenty of others.
Last edited by -Blue- at Jan 10, 2009,
I think ibanez make onli HH or HSH configuration and also there is Jackdon DK2S which is a good guitar by the way but still way too pricy.
Quote by -Blue-
On a second look, yeah, I'm not finding any HSS Ibanezes. My bad.

Hope I helped somehow though

Thanks for your help , but still can't find what i want.
The Ibanez S series are HSS.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
They are from SA series which uses SAT PRO II bridge which is crappy not like S series that uses ZR tremelo Bridge!!
Quote by -Blue-
On a second look, yeah, I'm not finding any HSS Ibanezes. My bad.

Hope I helped somehow though

It's still an ibanez.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
another vote for a Fender MIM Standard HSS Stratocaster
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
Quote by DeltaFunk
another vote for a Fender MIM Standard HSS Stratocaster

Are stock pickups of MIM enough good? I still think i can get better for this price range.
I simply want good single pickups (and humbucker). For HSH configuration, most of the time the single pickup is crappy so if i enlarge the brand of research for HSH and HSS models but the single pickup have to be as versatile as possibe.
Fender MiM Fat Strat
Ibanez S Series

also look second hand.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

You could go second hand and look for something like an Epiphone Les Paul with a coil tap or something. That's always a possibility.
Member of the Laney Cult
Maybe try looking at a HH with a 5 way selector so you can use the humbuckers as single coil?
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Great ideas but i need some models name?
Ibanez S series are equiped with INF pickups whish are bad pickups in my opinion.
my old RG321MH had INF pickups and i didn't think they were that bad, they were very versatile and i could go from metal to jazz very easily.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

Quote by aradine
my old RG321MH had INF pickups and i didn't think they were that bad, they were very versatile and i could go from metal to jazz very easily.

What is your amp?
it's in my sig. i also ran it through my Tonelab which gave me a Tube amp sound. i used it to record as well, but i recorded through a Guitarport GX (the line 6 thingy).
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Quote by gregs1020

Quote by aradine
it's in my sig. i also ran it through my Tonelab which gave me a Tube amp sound. i used it to record as well, but i recorded through a Guitarport GX (the line 6 thingy).

Ok, you're using a Tonelab (great stuff but pricy), Have you ever tried Ibanez Jet King models the're cheap and have very good reviews, any ides about their sound, versatility...?
Page 1 of 2