My band is working to record our first EP. As EP's are mainly used for promotional purposes I was thinking (as the lead guitarist/main founder and instrumental songwriter) that we cover a vast range of 5 different songs covering different genres in our EP; these genres are (drop B tuning) 2 metalcore songs with 2 slightly different sounds one D natural minor influenced by bands such as As I Lay Dying and I Killed The Prom Queen and one D harmonic minor emphasizing on minor thirds, 1 deathcore song similar to Suicide Silence and Bring Me The Horizon Count Your Blessings, 1 mathcore song like Botch and Bring Me The Horizon pre-Count Your Blessings and 1 C# standard tuning thrash metal song. These are the main genres that influence our band but adding that broad range of variety - would it be a good move or a bad move?

Thanks
Last edited by reverend_jake at Jan 10, 2009,
I could see it being a bad thing if you make it too schizophrenic. People will think you have no direction. But those don't seem so far off that people will think that of you, so go for it.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
i think you should publish the music you would like to play in the upcoming years!
Quote by travislausch
I could see it being a bad thing if you make it too schizophrenic. People will think you have no direction. But those don't seem so far off that people will think that of you, so go for it.

Yeah I wasn't aiming to make each song totally different to eachother as it would seem wierd so like add a consistant unique sound at either some point in each song.

Quote by Mads B
i think you should publish the music you would like to play in the upcoming years!

Yeah but as a band we would like to have a consistant style and doing an EP like that we could discover which style we're best at because ideally we would like to cover all those genres.
Last edited by reverend_jake at Jan 10, 2009,
A good idea if you're trying to fathom what genre you'd prefer to do in future, and it shows off your ability on different flares to those listening. I think you can't go terribly wrong with it
i would personally, only do one metalcore song on the EP, i understand your using different scales, but if you want to be different and show versatility having 2 of same genre kind of contradicts that imo. but that is after all only my opinion
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
In one way it will be a good move; People will see you're able to play different types of music and that you are very creative and openminded.

In the other way it won't be a good move; There might be people who are annoyed by the fact you guys don't stick with one genre and are confused.

----

That's just what I think. Good luck anyway
Quote by F8iscruel
i would personally, only do one metalcore song on the EP, i understand your using different scales, but if you want to be different and show versatility having 2 of same genre kind of contradicts that imo. but that is after all only my opinion

Yeah I understand what you mean - but the sounds would be totally different, the harmonic minor one would be a bit heavier and a faster pace and I'd probably go off scale structure at some point on it as well but I'll consider your opinion when writing though.

Quote by Chapz
In one way it will be a good move; People will see you're able to play different types of music and that you are very creative and openminded.

In the other way it won't be a good move; There might be people who are annoyed by the fact you guys don't stick with one genre and are confused.

----

That's just what I think. Good luck anyway

Thanks, yeah that's exactly what I thought and if we go as far as making an album I would like to stick to one style for most of the time, we'll use this EP to discover our style of music.