I am needing advice on playing a 1,2,3,4 fringer fret speed builder exercise. When playing the Low E, i tend to tilt my hand towards the top of the guitar. When i got to the next string its harder to do it. ive tilted the pick towards inside of palm so pick doesnt catch on strings. But should my pick hand be touching any stings when Im picking on Low E or A string? Im trying t be consistent, and build speed. i cant pick a string at 160bpm,but that way of playing I dont think will get me where I want to be becasue of the technique I'm using. Also when picking fast I find it harder to go from one string to the next.i can pick fast on one string,bu not form one to the other. Can someone help me with how my picking hand should be placed? I usually leave my middle,ring and pinky extended a bit when picking as i find it easier to pick fast,I taught myself this way and making a fist,its awkward for me to play. how many of you have those fingers exteneded and is it slowing me down? Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks
First off don't be fooled into thinking that the 1234 exercise is a "speed building exercise" - it's not.

The idea is it helps you become accurate, you shouldn't be "chasing" speed with it - find the speed at which you can consistently play the exercise accurately and cleanly and work on that. You get quicker by being accurate and refining your movements, trying to go fast just makes you sloppy and unco-ordinated. The metronome isn't a speedometer, it's simply there to keep the beat for you - it takes months and years to get "fast", not hours or days...if you're finding it difficult then that simply means you're trying to go too fast too soon.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 10, 2009,
Unless you're muting, your right hand really shouldn't be touching anything. A bad habbit I've been trying to get rid of is NOT resting it on the bridge. That's actually what I suggest, it makes up and down strumming while muting strings far easier in my opinion. But if you're touching the strings with you picking hand it's either going to deaden them, or mute them, and that's good if you want it, but it doesn't sound like you do. What I actually like to do is find guitarist I like, and watch what they do, then attempt that. Might not be a great way but it's a way. Hope that helped some.
Make sure the neck of the guitar is tilted up and not down towards the ground. Also, make sure your thumb is positioned behind the neck and not over the top of it. There are times when you may need to put your thumb over the top of the neck, but this isn't one of them. Does that help at all?

You can certainly use your palm for muting - this is called a Palm Mute. I would try to work on keeping your palm floating just above the strings. If your palm is constantly touching the strings, this could lead to a bad habit down the road. If anything, try anchoring your right hand pinky on the pickguard. Some folks find this helpful, although others prefer to float their entire hand above the pickguard and not anchor.

Take your time and build speed gradually. You're probably just starting out and it's going to take time to get fast and rapidly move between strings. When you were born, you didn't go from your crib to immediately running. Guitar is the same way - baby steps, my friend.

Leaving the other fingers slightly extended is fine. Later on, you may get into some hybrid picking with those extra fingers. Hybrid picking is where you're not only using a pick (plectrum), but you also use fingers for hitting other notes. It has a nice sound on certain songs.
no,Im not trying to muste the strings, just trying to figure how to set up my picking hand due to the fact that if i dont rest my hand on the bridge, it harder to just pick in mid air and be consistent. I have trouble picking the low E string quickley rather than the rest fo the strings since its thicker. I dunno, just feels harder than the rest to actually get fast at it. Im trying to to develop good finger to pick hand coordination but also build speed. What the best exercise for that if 1,2,3,4 is not good. I can pick the firts note and hammmer on the rest at 160 bpm but i cannot pick each note that fast. Also,when revoering from 4,3,2,1 i'm not as good in fact Im a little slwoer porbably around 120 bpm
Quote by sabbathfan4life
no,Im not trying to muste the strings, just trying to figure how to set up my picking hand due to the fact that if i dont rest my hand on the bridge, it harder to just pick in mid air and be consistent. I have trouble picking the low E string quickley rather than the rest fo the strings since its thicker. I dunno, just feels harder than the rest to actually get fast at it. Im trying to to develop good finger to pick hand coordination but also build speed. What the best exercise for that if 1,2,3,4 is not good. I can pick the firts note and hammmer on the rest at 160 bpm but i cannot pick each note that fast. Also,when revoering from 4,3,2,1 i'm not as good in fact Im a little slwoer porbably around 120 bpm

This might sound REALLY weird, but I used really simple songs that used one string, and simply went faster. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star is my savoir for that, as strange as that sounds. It's just a simple one string melody that can be played on any string. Atleast, that's my advice. The knowledgeable people here probably have a better way but..That's my two cents.

EDIT: Also, what he was saying is it's fine, just simply don't try to make that your "I can go fast in a day" exercise. He meant to work on going faster slowly withit.
Paint it black and white if you like
The story's all the same.
Last edited by ZeroYuy at Jan 10, 2009,
Yeah, there's no "magic exercises" to make you go faster - the 1234 exercise is no better or worse thatn anything else.

Just make sure you don't lose sight of WHY you're practicing - remember your aim is to get better at playing the guitar, not good at exercises. Being able to play the 1234 exercise at Xbpm doesn't make you a good guitarist - however being able to effectively use the skills that the 1234 exercise helps you develop does.

In short, don't worry about how fast you can play an exercise because it doesn't matter...just worry about how well those exercises are benefitting your all-round playing ability.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
but beign able to play solos at speed requires me to be able to play fast. tehrefore if i can use that exercise and be profficient then it should help me quick in soloing. Stranglehold after the 2nd verse i believe, his semi solo is super fast and ive yet to tab it really correctly but Id like t be able to play it up to speed wehre he does pentatonics from 5th fret to teh 15th using slides or however he keeps moving up the fretboard significantly fast
I suggest you to look at the John Petrucci Rock Discipline. The segment where Petrucci explains the "Scale Fragments" might interest you. You can search the entire video on Youtube.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Last edited by El Cumanés at Jan 10, 2009,