Poll Options
View poll results: In case vs. On stand
In case
48 32%
On a stand
101 68%
Voters: 149.
Page 1 of 2
Just interested to see what the bass forum thinks.

Do you prefer to store your bass on a stand, or in a hardshell(or gig bag)?

I personally prefer the harshell case because it seals out most humidity.

Discuss
I don't play bass, but I play guitar. It's really an old wive's tale that the case seals out humidity, or anything. Guitar cases are far from being air tight or even water tight. Having said that, you generally want to maintain your guitar, even a bass, somewhere between 40% and 55% Relative Humidity. This is especially important for solid top acoustics, but any and all guitars benefit from it.

In your case, you need to determine if your bass is safer on a stand, or in the case. Do you have animals or small kids around that could damage it? If so, store it in the case. If that doesn't apply, then put it on a stand or hang it off the wall. Also, storing the bass out in the open encourages you to play it more often. The old addage: out of sight, out of mind is very true.
Quote by KG6_Steven
I don't play bass, but I play guitar. It's really an old wive's tale that the case seals out humidity, or anything. Guitar cases are far from being air tight or even water tight. Having said that, you generally want to maintain your guitar, even a bass, somewhere between 40% and 55% Relative Humidity. This is especially important for solid top acoustics, but any and all guitars benefit from it.

In your case, you need to determine if your bass is safer on a stand, or in the case. Do you have animals or small kids around that could damage it? If so, store it in the case. If that doesn't apply, then put it on a stand or hang it off the wall. Also, storing the bass out in the open encourages you to play it more often. The old addage: out of sight, out of mind is very true.

Hmm well I keep a few of those silica gel packets in my case, but maybe I should actually test the humidity.
I prefer it on the stand. It's easier to pick up rather than having to pop open(or zip open) a case.
Hi.
One of the best bass teachers I ever had said that you should keep a your main bass on a stand so that its in plain sight to remind you to take some time and play each day. Which is why one of my basses always lives on a stand in my living room.
**scoff scoff** "stand" !?! "case" !?!, I'm far too poor for that. mine sits propped up against the wall when not in use, I use my gigbag just for taking it from A to B. I argee with previous posts on "out of site out of mind". one of the reasons I wouldn't buy a high end bass is cos I'd be more worried about scratching it than how I play the thing.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by IndianRockStar
I do neither. My Ibanez leans with the headstock facing a corner int he wall which is conveniently close to my computer. Lets me play anytime.

this. my case is so flimsy it takes to long to get it in. i need another person to help sometimes..
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
usually I have my bass hanging on my wall, but if I'm away for an extended period of time I'll put it in the hard case. My case is mostly used for transportation
Well at home I put my instruments on stands or wall hangers, but I use a hardshell case to move around with them, as the stand is completely useless as a traveling container
Quote by Deliriumbassist
My Peavey is currently standing in the corner facing the wall like a naughty child at my band's practice space.

My Warwick, when it comes, will always be forever in it's hardcase. Or I'll steal the Pope's bulletproof golf cart and keep it in there.

You can get the pope to polish it too.

I keep them on standing on the sofa, it works nothing bad seems to happen that i cant fix.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I have a Rockstand. My Jazz, Precision, Corvette, and upright occupy spaces, with my custom fretless having a space waiting for it. My acoustic is also on a stand. I never keep basses stored in cases, except maybe during the summer.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
i hang mine from the wall, and nothing ever happens to it.
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
I have all of my basses on stands for ease of use. The one guitar I keep in it's case is my Gibby Explorer, just to keep it nice.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
i put mine in a case cause of all the constant transportation of my bass. but i leave the case open in the guest room so i can easy grab it.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by anarkee
One of the best bass teachers I ever had said that you should keep a your main bass on a stand so that its in plain sight to remind you to take some time and play each day. Which is why one of my basses always lives on a stand in my living room.

this.

but in my room, because I caught my dog chewing on my monster cable the other day.

I swear, I can't even tell where it was chewing on it though. it is completely unscathed.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I use a stand 99% of the time... I have a Rockstand in the corner of my jam space, and a regular stand next to my amp so I don't have to get tangled in everyone's cables when we practice. I only use my gig bag when traveling or if I keep my guitar/bass in my bedroom-- then my cat attacks it. :O
I have my main bass on a stand in my practice area because I'm constantly using and putting it down and I keep my less used fretless in a case in the corner behind the stand because I use it less and don't have the room for another stand.
founding member of the Bill Bailey fan club (assuming there isn't already one)

proudly not an overly proud vegetarian
When I'm at college, I actually hang mine in a gig bag, on the inside of my closet door.

Elsewhere, I use a case for the ones that have one, and lean my acoustic against the wall in a seldom-traveled corner of my room.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jan 11, 2009,
Washburn's on the stand in my room

My jazz is pretty close to it but usually in a gig bag tilted against a wall

Got a peavey in the living room usually takin its place on the couch cause i use it alot over there: New people that come over are usually like "Lol, whats the meaning of that overgrown 4 string guitar? fail fail fail" ... they dont get to come back.

Wanna get rockstand though.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
hmm, depends, i keep my brand new strat gee-tar in case so incase of EARTHQUAKES which nobody has mentioned its safe, and i have so many guitars and basses (5) im running out of room, i leave my aerodyne in case (cuz i havent been playing much bass at all lately) and charlie, my squier, leans on a gig bag. my tele is in case, and crappy les paul is leaning on the teles case
Try adding more delay.
Earthquakes are the main reason I am leery of using wall hangers. I rode out the 89 Loma Prieta earthquake, and every picture and thing on the wall came down. Hard.
Dude if your cat if attacking them get some wall hanging stands i.e hercules
Quote by Ichimaru
Pics? I can tell if someone has AIDS just by looking.

Quote by xHuffyx
BTW, what's metal and full of holes?

Dimebag Darrell.
Quote by anarkee
Earthquakes are the main reason I am leery of using wall hangers. I rode out the 89 Loma Prieta earthquake, and every picture and thing on the wall came down. Hard.

good thing I don't have any.

don't wanna be at Samash when the big one hits though...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Usually in its case because the strings seem to last longer. Sometimes I leave my cheaper bass lying around for quick practice.
stand, alot more convenient, i dont play bass though
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
i said Case
U never know what can happen, and u dont wanna accumulate dust in the pick-ups...

but at the same time its nice to exhibit ur bass/guitar.
Quote by anarkee

haza! i was right! XD
Try adding more delay.
My EDB and G&L are on stands, my ICB that I basically disowned is standing next to my dresser behind my amp, and my starter pack Ibanez is at a friends house standing in the corner of their living room... I think...
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
On a stand next to my bed, so its the first thing I see in the morning.
My other bass is standing in a basket full of old socks, lol.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Wall hangers two of them anyway, its just the guitar that lives in its gigbag. As the UK don't get earthquakes its pretty safe really.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Guitar not bass....but one lives on the spare bed, the other lives on the sofa. Visitors have to sit on the floor muahaha
Page 1 of 2